Wiring 2 Type R's to 1-ohm... what's with the jumpers???

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 346
Hey you guys,
I just bought 2 Alpine Type-R 10's (DVC 4-ohm).
I'm running my amp at 1-ohm... so I know how to do it, but now I'm confused with this jumper thing the sub has going on! I looked in the manual... and there is no diagram with the jumpers for a 1-ohm load. Do I just forget about the jumpers all together? Or are they there for a reason?
I tried hooking up one sub at 2-ohm by simply plugging the positive from my amp into positive on both coils (same with negative wire). Basically, I not using the jumpers at all. Know what I mean?
Anyway, I thought it sounded... well... not right! Something's wrong.
Please help.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1439
didn't the sub come with short cables with banna clips on it. just connect the the + to + and - to -.

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 137
if you didnt use the jumpers you are only using one voice coil per sub. which is not good. you need the jumpers but look up a wiring diagram to get them to 1ohm. i did it with a couple of DVC subs and its pretty confusing, but youll figure it out and be glad to forget about it and start bumpin

what amp are you useing? are you sure it will take a 1ohm load?

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
Terry:
supposedly. it's a digital audio 900 watt mono class D. It swears "1ohm stable". I've used it like this a while and it seems fine, but the subs don't seem to like it. lol I blew some Fubr's.
Anyway, no jumpers though.

Chad:
nope. no jumper cables. I wish it did. That's why I'm confused i guess.
What now?

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
wait!
you mean if i put the amp to the + on the left and go directly to the + on the right (same continuous wire) - it's one coil?!?!?!?
No jumper... no dual voice coil?!?!?!
S,H,I,T

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1440
well then just get a short cable and connect the + from one voice coil to the + on the other voice coil. do the same for the -. then get a longer cable and connect the positive and negative to the amp.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1441
that sub is dual voice coil. the terminals are just all place on one side of the sub for easy wiring.

Silver Member

Post Number: 355
but do I HAVE TO use the jumpers to avoid problems?

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
Ok.
I know it's dual voice coil and how it's just next to each other on one side of the sub, but my question is this:
Do I have to use the upper jumpers to wire the sub correctly? Or can I just connect the wires directly into all 4 terminals?
Please help if anybody knows! It doesn't say in the manual and I need to know ASAP so I can set up my system before I leave for X-mas vacation!
Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us