Amp rack and subwoofer box epiphany?

Bronze Member
Username: Hex0rz

Post Number: 33
I posted this on 12volt.com also. But it seems dead tonight... Go to: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=68816&PN=1 And give me some feedback on this page also. I'm not getting a concrete answer.

I'm hoping this subject is in the right area. I had an epiphany at work today...

I'm building an amp rack ontop of my subwoofer box. Yes, I'am aware of the risk of the damage that can be done by this. I'm not too worried, since I have a solution, but 'am thinking there may be more solutions, that can also be better.

The main problem to building an amp rack right on the box is the amount of vibration caused by the subs. Doing so is going to eventually damage your amp because of the intense vibration of the internal parts.

Therefore, my mind has been racing for better solutions. I can come up with many different variations of the same idea, but it is for testing that which will really prove these really work.

I would rather make pictures instead for all you to see, but I also think it should be sufficient enough to type this all out to you. Since I'm not the best at making pictures in mspaint. Haha!

I believe it is a crucial thing to follow the experts of car audio. I AM NOT one these people. It is merely an elaborate and sophisticated idea from an audio enthusiast junkie.

One of the best places of information regarding car aduio is: http://www.bcae1.com/

If you see here, he shows us a lesson of amp rack building. And the factor you must put in with construction. Here, he shows you the best places to put an amp for least vibration.

It is however plausible that there may be better ways to reduce the vibration. The informer on this site is not technically dealing with the structure of the box. But rather the most ideal spot to mount your amp.

Instead of amp placement, deal with the structural design of the box to lessen the vibration.

My ideas(maybe a combination of all?):

1. Instead of mounting the amp right to the top of the box, put four blocks ontop of the wood and secure them down. However best you feel. (Me personally, I would use some gorilla glue and nail it in.) I would say then cover the top of these blocked piece with something like dyamat or some sort of rubber material so it will dampen vibration. I would also think that even an inch of foam pad would probably ideally work well too.

Why I feel this will work. In this situation I apply the rule of surface area. I think that by reducing the surface area of the amp contact to the box, will in turn reduce the vibration of the amp. This in combination with say a strategic placement of the amp (if you have the ability) would in my mind, work quit well.

2. This idea has many different variations. Almost infinite possibilities.

2.1. Make a dead space between the amp rack and sub box. I would think that since the rack is not in direct contact with the surface of the box enclosure, there would be minimal vibration.

2.2 Same as 2.1. but instead of leaving it a dead space, fill it with some sort of deadening material.

2.3. Instead of leaving a dead space, make a cross hatch or a honeycomb style structure to put in between. Or many bracing boards... By doing this, you have less surface contact but also makes the box much more stable. (Then fill it with a material.)

These merely are only curious ideas. I do plan on making some sort of solution for my own. I dunno which would be better out of these. I just need some sort of feedback from you all...

I for one can say, that maybe this idea is not workable. Maybe it will cost too much money or time...

2. (2) MTX Thunder 7500
3. (1) MTX TA3202
4. Eclipse Fujitsuten SC8264 Component series
5. Pioneer Premier DEH-P670MP

Bronze Member
Username: Hex0rz

Post Number: 34
Is there just not a single person here who may be intrigued by this? I have never encountered anyone who talked about this sort of subject. This could be a first and groundbreaking thing!

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3977
seems like alot of extra work 2 do it whilst most ppl with sedans simply mount amps on the back of their seats .

But in ur case u will have 2 devise some method

how about this idea - engine mounts r actually bolts separated by rubbers , why not try something like that ( cause they have small 1s too ) so u get a board 7 bolt ur amp 2 it like in normal installs but attach this board to these 4 small engine mounts & bolt them into ur box !.......

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3978
"""so u get a board 7 bolt ur amp 2 """ - typo

should be

so u get a board & bolt ur amp to it .......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us