Agree with this guys opinon on the 13w7??

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_bass

Post Number: 25
http://www.epinions.com/content_136725827204

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5167
The guy is an idiot. Let me explain.

"The sub is free-air rated down to 23.5 hz -> this is one example of misleading specs given by JL- Many people don't understand Qvas, Vas etc- all industry terms (specifically Thiele-Small paramters) Most technicians don't have a very solid understanding of Thiele-Small theory, and quite honestly who the hell cares- As an audiophile myself, I've always found that specs easily lie- however I'd be alot more satisfied if JL offered actuall frequency extension measurement within a given reference enclosure (JL DOES offer blue-prints on their recomended Sealed AND ported enclosures- so why not offer LFE (low frequency entension) within +/- 1.5dB there???!?!!?! This upsets me- ALOT of companies are doing this now- sticking misleading T/S measurements in- I've seen it in my own shop:"

Fs is a parameter defining the resonant frequency of a subwoofer in free air. It means that in free air, the subwoofer will resonate at 23.5hz. It has nothing to do with extension and is not a misleading spec, the idiot just doesn't know what it means. Anyway, it will play well below 32hz.

"most likely not ONLY because of higher power ratings on the PPI, but because the character of PPI watts- they've always been known for being punchier and livelier"

There is no "punchier, livelier watt". A watt is a watt, voltage x power, that's all that dictates a watt. Typical audio myths coming out there.

"Even with the gains lowered and the boost cut ALOT, the 13W7 couldn't resolve the ultra lows with clarity and focus- even in the sealed box, which again, is my choice because it plays cleaner and inherently faster (at the expense of a few dB) the sub lost the musicality even sooner than with the JL amp"

That's because he doesn't know how to build a good ported box. If he knew anything about distortion, he'd know that a ported box is cleaner (especially at high volumes) than a sealed box. While a ported box has worse transient response (but can easily be designed to where that isn't an issue), high distortion is much more audible.

Most people that make these claims about supersubs (ANY of them, Brahma, XXX, W7, and so forth) don't know how the human ear works. All of these subs have flat BL curves, meaning they retain their motor strength as excursion gets higher and volumes are louder. The human ear isn't linear, at high volumes, bass and treble frequencies are excessive, in other words, at high volumes, it would be like you boosted bass and treble on an EQ. Since most subs have a parabolic BL curve, they sound softer as they get louder, and we're used to that since most every speaker we've heard carries that characteristic. In opposition to that, a flat BL driver will retain it's motor strength at high volumes and be more forceful, which results in the typical "boomy" and "forceful" comments you hear about them.

I wouldn't take a word in the review seriously because the guy doesn't know anything but a lot of myths and misconceptions.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5104
Epinions.com ID:
nick1326

Reviews written: 224
Trusted by: 95 members

Music, Motorcycles, Drumming, Surfing, the finest cigars and living life to its fullest...

Looks like the guy smoked a tad too many cigars before his review.
You know that old saying, a little knowledge can be dangerous, applies here.

I personally have and tested JL 12W7 sub, and do not understand what the hell he's talking/complaining about. Could it be that he got one of the clone/fake W7 sub?

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 3265
Lol, what a dumb a$s

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5175
The same guy did a review on another site, he claimed that since the W7 was "slow", other "faster subs" would move back and forth 3 times while the W7 only did one. Of course, if that were true, they would be playing a different FREQUENCY.

Which is why I don't buy anything according to a review, hype, specifications, anything. Crock magazines like Consumer Reports come to mind. If I have to rely on reviews and specs to choose what I want, I'm insulting my own intelligence and decision making ability. Instead, it's better to learn the engineering that goes into whatever product you intend to to buy, and choose based on principles that you agree with. In audio, I use a rather crude method when deciding upon audio equipment. I put in reference material and I listen to it <eek>. I choose vehicles based upon engineering principles that I agree with, and I test drive them to see if it's for me. You can test, analyze, and critique anything. But in the end, would you choose a car based on driving it, or dynoing it? Same goes for anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us