Kicker 1200.1 vs. Orion 1200D

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 113
i figured there would have been a thead about this already but i couldnt find it so i decied to meke a new one.

it is simple, of the two, which is better?

from what i have gathered, the orion is better. relying ot the post of brand rating, orion is highly reccomended, while kicker is only rated at good, and the orion 1200 watts @ 1 ohm is at 13.8 volts and 750 @ 2ohms. the kicker is 1200 @ 1ohm and 600 @ 2ohms, but, the kicker has a fuse ratting totaling 150 amps and the orion totals only 120. does that mean the orion is more efficent? what are your opinions about these two fine amps and, more importantly, which do you prefer?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 435
If I'm not mistaken, that brand rating post originated back when Orion actually owned Orion. They are now owned by Directed. I'm not saying they aren't still quality amps, but from what I've read, they aren't tip-top like they once were.

I'd say Orion and Kicker are about equal. The KX1200.1 and the 1200D were my final two choices for a mono amp. I finally chose the Kicker based upon looks because I think the 1200D is ugly. LOL.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1417
i had the kicker kx1200.1 and that thing was 1430wrms at 14.4 volts. the kicker can take the beating and still give you no problems. i even had 2 subs connected to it at .5 ohms for a couple of weeks and had no problem with it. i am sure the orion is a good amp too but just saying don't underestimate kicker amps cause they are pretty good too.

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 116
i think the chioce between the two is primarily opinionated. for me, its basically a price issue, im a bussiness type of man so i will probably take the cheaper of the two that i can find. however, i do already own a kicker 350.4 and i like it alot and the 1200.1 would look nice mounted next to it... but i dont know if they will both fit on the back of my backseat in my honda, and the orion is a bit smaller.

hmm...decisions...

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3337
The Phoenix Gold Xenon is pretty good from what ive heard (never heard 1), plus its more versitale than both of those 1200 rms 1-4 ohms

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 117
that does look pretty nice i like that 4-1ohm action, any other thoughts on any of these 3 amps

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 118
i looked around and it seems like the 1200 on the phoenix gold is a peak, i might be wrong

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3344
where did u see that at?? everywhere ive seen it says 1200 rms.

Out of the 3 the orion would probably last longer. The kicker probably puts out the most power, and the pg is the most versitale (and looks the best 2 me.lol). Also i think i heard that orion is starting to slip since the buyout, and pg makes there amps mass produced somewhere overseas. so i guess i would take the kicker

Silver Member

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 122
yea i was looking at some wierd places, its 1200rms i donno i think i might be leaning toward the orion. mabey i will let the flip of a coin decide.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3350
good idea.lol

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3948
well even though all 3 may may come very close together - i find the orion is the best looking externally IMO......

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 52
almost all amps are mass produced somewhere overseas.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 536
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 861
between kicker and orion i would take the kicker but either amp is good, you might also want to consider the RE12.1 amp, its rated at 1200watts@1ohm @12volts, so it acutally puts out close to 1400watts.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 436
Ditto what Optidriven said. I hate to admit it, but both of my Kicker amps were manufactured overseas. My KX1200.1 was made in Korea and my KX450.2 was made in China.

larry owens
Unregistered guest
you dont want anything built by chinx or koreanz. rather have mine built in the good ole u s of a. i hate stuff made by chinx

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1914
first off, i'm certain "chinx" is going to be taken offensively, so a disclaimer (at bare minimal) is a bit in order. further, the "good 'ol u.s. of a." hasn't built a number of amps in quite some time. in fact, those build houses in china and korea that build the kickers-JL and PG also has there amps built in china and korea. likely the same place as kicker. so unless you are referring to zapco or RF, it's not likely you'll have your amp built here. plus the expense of having those amps built here (for considerably more than they charge off-shore) is phenomenal. hence the price tag on both. and if you are as ignorant as your post makes you seem (and i really hope you're not), then it's not likely that you have an occupation to support such a cost, anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3957
apart from amps/car audio , a ton of noraml every day products are made in either China/Korea/Taiwan/Malasia even Mexico etc

Normal everyday stuff from PC parts , clothes, power tools to household electronics/aplliances are made there so don't feel like u can escape from something not made in USA & nothing is wrong with it being made elseware ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us