AA Atlas vs IDQ

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 838
i've seen a couple of posts about sq subs and some people recommend the atlas, and others reccomend the idq i was just wondering which would have better sq, i have the aa atlas and to me it blows everything i have ever heared out of the water in sq but i never heard the idq so i don't know which would have better sq.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5142
I prefer the IDQ personally. Very accurate, tight, bass, great tonality too. I prefer IDQs and ID Maxes subs over every XBL^2 sub I've heard.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 841
what xbl2 subs have you heard, and what is the rms ratings on the idq, i think its 400wrms but im not sure.

Silver Member
Username: Southern_bass

Jacksonville, Florida U.S.

Post Number: 189
havnt heard the atlas but the idq's sound great

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5145
Brahma MkII, Koda, XXX, Avalanche, Atlas. They are all somewhat similar in sound, kind of dry and airy, some consider it as sounding hollow. That part isn't my gripe, really, that's pretty typical of flat BL drivers due to the low distortion. My gripe is that all of them suck above 60hz, doesn't matter what size they are. XBL^2 isn't the reason for that part of it, the heavy paper cones are what you can contribute that to. No point in focusing on a low inductance design if the driver is muddy above 60hz IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 370
^^ very true

the avalanche was GREAT below 50hz.. above, it rolled off very quick and was very muddy

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 850
ya i noticed that, on kick bass, if the beat is slow it's ok, but if its like death metal and the beat is really fast it sounds muddy.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2701
Jonathan how whould you compare the IDQ 15 to the JL 15w3v2 ? Which one do you suggest and what amp to power them ? I am deciding between them.

Its going in a SUV so should i go 1 15 or 2 ? Im thinking about going sealed.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5146
"Jonathan how whould you compare the IDQ 15 to the JL 15w3v2 ? Which one do you suggest and what amp to power them ? I am deciding between them.

Its going in a SUV so should i go 1 15 or 2 ? Im thinking about going sealed."

All around I'd go with the IDQ, especially sealed. Only needs around a 1.5 cu ft (gross :-)) sealed box for the 15". One would be enough for most people, but it's not like you can't attenuate them if you get two. Something like a Kicker KX600.1 for one of them, or a KX1200.1 for two.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2702
Thanks alot, i have a crossfire vr1000d which is stable at 1 ohm. So i could go with 2 IDQ 15's dual 4 ohm versian to match my amp.

Its gonna go in a SUV so what size box whould you recommend for 2 of these ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2703
Let me know soon jonathan. Im really looking forward to this setup. I have 2 jl 12w6v2's sealed now but ive always wanted to try the IDQ's. I listen to mostly hiphop and somtimes dance and rock. I guess going with a 15 over the 12 IDQ whould be the way to go for more output and bass. How is the SQ on the 15 ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5148
If you go sealed, 1.55 cu ft gross volume.

Ported, 2.5 cu ft net tuned to 28hz.

"How is the SQ on the 15 ?"
Excellent. You just need to make sure your midbass drivers can keep up, you don't want a gap betw. the subs and the mids.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2704
Im using CDT HD62's with the upgraded crossover and tw24 tweeter. They sound very natural and smooth with good amount of midbass at 150 watts rms from my ppi a600.2 / Not sure if i wanna go with 1 15 or 2 of these ?

So 1.55 cu ft per sub and is that all in one box or coupled chamber. polyfill ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2705
What about the ID MAX 12 off the CrossFire VR1000D ? Do you think that whould sound better and be louder ? I know you had mentioned it being good sealed and ported. What type of box whould be better for a SUV ?

1 CrossFire VR1000D enough to power 2 ID MAX 12's ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5150
"What about the ID MAX 12 off the CrossFire VR1000D ? Do you think that whould sound better and be louder ? I know you had mentioned it being good sealed and ported. What type of box whould be better for a SUV ?

1 CrossFire VR1000D enough to power 2 ID MAX 12's ?"

In that case I'd go with the ID Max 12s. They're very efficient, and that amp would be just fine with them. Really, I wouldn't put more than 700-800W on an ID Max in most applications. They'll move well with 500W each.

As far as boxes, I'd port them, 2.5 net tuned to 25hz. It will get LOW and sound excellent.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 855
is there anything you can do to get the atlas not to sound so muddy when playing kick bass.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2706
Jonathan is that 2.5 net for one sub or for both ported ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5155
One.

"is there anything you can do to get the atlas not to sound so muddy when playing kick bass."
Not really. Get some strong midbass drivers up front cross the sub over lower. That's your best option, and your imaging will be better because of it.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 858
about what hz should i cross over, cause when i had it hooked up it was crossed over around 75hz, so i was thinking some where around 55-60hz or should i go lower.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5161
Around 50-60hz would be where I cross it at.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2707
Jonathan is that 2.5 net for one IDMAX 12 or for 2 ported ?

I have 2 12w6v2's right now sealed prowedge. Will this be a good upgrade from that ? SQ wise and SPL wise ?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5163
2.5 net for one ported.

"I have 2 12w6v2's right now sealed prowedge. Will this be a good upgrade from that ? SQ wise and SPL wise ?"

If you port the ID Maxes, you'd get more output and more low end than the sealed W6v2s would offer you. The ID Max isn't going to blow it out of the water in SQ, but it's a little better IMO. It's hard to clearly beat a W6v2 for SQ, the W6v2 is one of my favorite SQ subs too :-).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us