Smart Guys......Alt noise

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 141
This is aggrevating the crap outa me. I just installed my audiocontrol eq/xo/line driver(3.1i). I installed a comp set of 5.25s (Planet Audio). The comps sound great, but I got a lot of noise. Everything else is wired right eg. HU, amps, & speakers. The XO (it is an in dash mount). Well I have it grounded to the HU ground. Is that my problem? In a 2000 Ford F-150, where (behind the dash is a GOOD solid ground? I did NOT have the whine before I installed the XO. I even messed around with the jumpers. No luck. Isaac, Jonathan, ANYBODY?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1898
http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999502.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 193
You could use a relay to isolate your hot lead. Get your power from the battery, not the dash. AC's have always been a bi*ch to work with in noisey electrical systems.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 503
This is hooked up to an amp, right? if so it could be an rca problem, try unhooking the ones to the amp one at a time to see if it is that, try rplace the one from the head unit to the 3.1 and switch from front/rear input. try a ground loop isolator from radio to 3.1.

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
actually, did it have noise before you put the 3.1, if so, double check ground at amp.

Silver Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 144
Ext cab. I put a box on stilts right behind the driver's seat with the back seat in the upright position. I had NO noise before installing the EQ.

Silver Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 145
Wrong post, BLAST IT!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
well then it has to do with connection to head unit, I have this uniot and have no noise. switch rca from radio to 3.1, unplug rcas one at a time to see if you can get noise to go away, it is a porcess of elimination, if you have a spare rca, jump from 3.1 to amp and see if it still does it.

Silver Member

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 146
Somebody else put this HU in. I found ALL the grounds "daisy-chained" off the HU. About 4 of them. I am going to shorten the grounds, then run 18" of wire to the frame at the firewall/tranny cover. If I drill a 1/64 hole & put a small self-tapping screw in the cover (for the ground) do you think it could alleviate the problem? Also, I can't see the top of the tranny really well from underneath-any pointers on anything important that may be up against the chassis? The RCA cables are professional competition grade. $90 a set. I know I got ripped, but the cables are top shelf stuff. I got a ground loop isolator going into the mids/highs amp. Noise is still there. Not near as bad, but there. I am gonna try a new ground tomorrow.

Username: Maxsq

Post Number: 5
I have worked fixing this problem more times than I would like to remember. Fords are nortorious for this problem. The fix will lie in the grounds. Try running all together behind the HU/EQ in the dash and use a larger gauge wire to a real ground spot. To verify it is good take a reading at your ground spot for your amp and the positive of the amp. Then take a reading at your new ground spot for HU/EQ and power of the amp. If they are the same you should have the problem gone. If not, then take the grounds to the same spot as the amp.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3470
I think Fords have a tiny static ground gauge wire...mine is around 8 gauge I believe? Pretty sad. I had to upgrade it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us