Odd question...

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 767
Ok, you've got your JL 1000/1, and your 1000W RMS Audiobahn amp.

Now, the JL performs an honest 1000W RMS, and so does the Audiobahn for this scenario. Being that they BOTH produce a CLEAN 1000W RMS, what's the major difference, other than what people SAY/THINK they can hear? 1000W RMS, is 1000W RMS. As long as it's unclipped, they should sound the same right? Providing both are used in the same car with same subs, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 309
jl audio will last longer....and it will play more than 1000 rms...audiobahn isnt of the same quality..and its probably overated...also..jl plays 1000 rms no matter how many ohms u got....so thats the biggest great thing about it..as logn as ur subs..when wired all together..are between 1.5 and 4 ohms...u get over 1000 rms

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 453
and the JL produces the power from 11volts to 14.4 and that audiobahn will never see those ratings, especially since is is prob rated at 14.4 volts, most systems do not run that high.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
Blaine, the JL amps have regulators on them that won't allow them to exceed the 1000W RMS.

Also, I said for this scenario, that the Audiobahn amp WAS NOT overrated. I understand what you're saying about all the bells and whistles of JL amps, but my question is basically, is one amps unclipped 1000W RMS the same as another amps unclipped 1000W RMS, taking in the fact NEITHER IS OVERRATED. And excluding all the bells and whistles.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 461
I only saw 1 amp that audiobahn had that stated non regulated, that was the 5000w amp the rest was mosffet or stranded wired. so maybe i am wrong, but that means regulated to me.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 695
Best way to know for sure is to run them side by side for extended periods of time.

When an amp is cold, it is able to produce its ratings or close to it. When the amp has been in use and under load at full volume for a long period of time, is when the design will show its true colors.

To fully understand this question and be able to answer it correctly would be to identify what the question is trying to isolate.

What is your question?

Are you trying to justify price?

Are you trying to justify design?

Are you trying to isolate which one is "better" in your own perspective?

Keep in mind that each company has different goals, overhead, and misc limitations.

Bronze Member
Username: Crazydude

Post Number: 70
"Blaine, the JL amps have regulators on them that won't allow them to exceed the 1000W RMS"

where did you read that from? i know the jl amps have a regulated power supply so i will draw the same current from your alt when your subs are connect to a 1.5 to 4ohm. i never read anywhere that said jl limits their amps so it won't exceed 1000wrms. in fact my friend hooked it up to a 1400wrms sub and it pounds the sh!t out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 522
Mosfet does definately NOT mean regulated, at all. Not even close.

Seth

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
Am I right in saying that JL regulators don't allow the power to exceed what it's rated at? I know Isaac or someone has said this before...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 700
Where is Glasswolf when you ned him.

Stop hybernating you flesh-eating-canine (lol) and get back up in here. There is an electrical law question at hand. lol

Peace !

Silver Member

Post Number: 770
Yes, an electrical law I would much rather have him explain, than going and searching for.

I think this probably falls under than age old theory of "a watt is a watt".

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 531
Tyler, they're regulated, yes. But they're also underrated. They put out more than 1000 watts (not that much more), and will do the same amount of power (give or take like 10 watts) anywhere from roughly 12 volts to 14.8 volts, and 1.5 ohm - 4 ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5143
The amps monitor output current and have switching voltage rails in order to compensate for any power supply issues and/or swinging impedance loads. Example: the 300/4 has a 57V rail, a 50V rail, and a 43V rail. If output current drops, it means that either the input power has dropped, or the impedance is high. You get the high voltage rail. And the opposite is true of the low voltage rail.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 701
Ok, I m lost.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1900
so a 1000/1's power is optimized (allows the lowest distortion possible) for 1000watts, regardless of voltage (11-14.4v) or impedence (1.5-4 ohms).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1901
first discussion on the subject.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/151247.html

someone can post the more recent thread if you have it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1902
found it:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/172343.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us