Unregistered guest
whats better or the differences with ported or sealed

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 335
the SQ and the SPL. theres a big difference

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
because i have a 2 15s and i have alot of watts and i listen to rap...and sometimens it sounds distorted would a ported box be better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
ok like ported, the subs get like REALLY loud, and with the sealed you get alot of bass but not as loud, rap in my opinion should be in sealed boxes, they sound better, the distortion could be becaus of the song, or the amp is tuned to the wrong Hz. corect me if im wrong anyone

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
ok thanks i just dont know alot....wut should the Hz be set on

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
ok thanks i just dont know alot....wut should the Hz be set on

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3845
"""i just dont know alot..""" - no problem , here's ur guide >>>>>>>

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-oTXtfTGbR2H/learningcenter/car/

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
what kind of subs are they? the best thing to do, is have the song that sounds worped or what ever, and like take a nife or something and move the dile for the Hz and wait till it sounds good, some subs are better and like 28 other 45 some 56 so you really just have to move it around

Anonymous

i wish people on this board would not talk unless they know what they're talking about. you people are ruining the board. No rovin, i'm not talking about you. If you don't know, shup up. Listen and learn, then speak. Also, learn how to spell, you sound like a dumba$$

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5109
Sealed offers good transient response and flat frequency response in a car (not in a home, though). The rolloff of a sealed box tends to match well with the cabin gain of a car. Distortion of the driver is higher in a sealed box compared to ported, but generally acceptable at average volume levels.

Ported offers the advantage of wider bandwidth for subwoofers (more output down low) and reduced distortion. They are more efficient (typically around 3db) than sealed. They also increase power handling anywhere above the tuned frequency. Downsides are transient response (which can be made inaudible with good design) and potential port noise. Power handling is also drastically reduced below tuning, a subsonic filter is commonly used to prevent overexcursion of the driver. Also, the peaky response of some woofers in ported boxes (subs with a higher Qts) can adversely affect SQ, unless that is your preference of course.

There is no definative answer to the question, it's about preference and the application. It depends highly upon the subwoofer you're using, as well. Personally, I prefer ported over sealed IF designed correctly, but overall sealed is much more forgiving and gives better results to people that aren't as familiar with ported designs.

fonsowrth
Unregistered guest
and liek when i turn it up loud it sounds like a flopping kinda noise ..how would i fix that? could it be headunit?

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
why do you have to be suck a d!ck? why don't you just call me out and don't be a shady about it huh? i was trying to help someone kuz no one else was helpin him, don't get on me for that, get rid your attitude dude, like honestly. how do you learn? by makin mistakes, thats why i said correct me if im wrong, so dont' be a b!tch about it alrgith say something about me, say my name, dont' say some people say NOL1M1TSOLD1ER kuz thats obviouesly my name on this sh!t

Anonymous

You're not helping him with incorrect information.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5110
Here's a good overview, BTW. Saves me some typing:

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/dilemma.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
ARE YOU STUPID THATS WHY I SAID CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG!!!!!!!! GET OFF YOUR FAGGET AS$ ANONYMOUS NAME AND SHOW WHO YOU ARE

Anonymous

Nobody has a problem with you posting, but people come here looking for help! If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk! Guessing and waiting for somebody to correct your post is no way to go. Plus, your spelling and grammar tend to be difficult to read.

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
theres no reason to get mad about anything...some guy i knew hooked me up with some subs (2 15 Massive audio Cmpetition series) and p1500 amp..and he set it all up and didnt explain it very well so im kinda clueless..sorry

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
get off your fagget a$s anonymous sh!t and stop being a little b!tch. and i 100% wrong all the time no, and some imput is better than none, kuz when a kid comes in here asking an obvious question no one answers him just kuz its an obvious question, but i post something and im pretty sure most of you guy look to see what i say because im wrong alot and you correct me. and that helps him and me, kuz you correct me and the kid gets the real right answer

theREAL anonymous
Unregistered guest
why give him a wrong answer though? just wait and let somebody respond. you're messing up the forum and running people away. nobody wants to see your second grade grammar/spelling 50 times a night. just quit posting until you learn something. it's what everybody else did

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
yea i did wait to give this kid a answer, and no one gave him anything, why be anonymous huh? are you like to pu$syto use your real name or something, and im not like everyone esle, i like to learn now, and i make TONS of mistakes, if you don't like it, then don't read my posts. its as simple as that

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
well last thing i will say tonight..or ask..lol..it al started by me blowing 3 subs...so we got more powerful ones...so then he wired them so the amp was only giving half the power..so i would not blow them...and he siad he would change them back later or somthing...is he bs'ing or can u really do that..lol..and if so should i find someone to fix that???

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
WELL I WOULD LOVE TO GIVE YOU MY IMPUT ON THIS SO EVERYONE LISTEN UP TO ME
you can't change out a sub, you can change the cone of the sub, but if you blow it, you can't fix it (CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, I KNOW IM NOT) but he's BSin you you can't fix a blown sub, you have to get new ones

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
no lol i said it wrong we got new ones...but we put the new ones in and he wired them with half the power to the subs so i wouldnt blow them this time....i dunno wut to do to fix it

Silver Member

Post Number: 362
you want to fix the power to the subs so they get the full power again?

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
yea, i want the full power...and i have a sealed box and when i turn it up it sounds muddy and distored kinda??

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
yea, i want the full power...and i have a sealed box and when i turn it up it sounds muddy and distored kinda??

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
yea thats the amp, i had the same prob with my old system, um, talk to the kid that rewired it and have him do it back to the way it was. if you can't get a hold of him, and you have 2 subs, wire one negitive to one negitive on one sub, and one posistive on the other sub, and have a wire going from the free + and -, it sounds good man, trust me

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
make sure you only use one channel... if you know what i mean on the amp

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
so do you think thats my main problem??

fonsowrth
Unregistered guest
so do you think thats my main problem???

fonsowrth
Unregistered guest
so do you think thats my main problem???

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
yea, when i had my subs, i had them wired like that, and i thought that was making them not sound as good as i thought they could, but when i wired them the way that like everyone else does, like each channel to sub or what ever, it made them sound like sh!t and it made my system shut down because of the work the amp was doing, but by doing it that way, it sounded better got more power and didn't turn off

fonsworth
Unregistered guest
what do you mean only one channel??( i really appreciate you actually answering my questions)

Silver Member

Post Number: 368
i'll draw you a picture LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
image/bmpUpload
sub pic.bmp (61.3 k)
thats how you should do it

Bronze Member
Username: Greeney

Grove, MN US

Post Number: 71
AND THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO GET RID OF ANONS AND UNREGISTERED GUESTS!!!

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1889
"Here's a good overview, BTW. Saves me some typing:

http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/dilemma.htm"

just realized i collect links:-)
another good one jonathan. glad something good came from this thread.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5112
Maybe we can post what lists we have and combine our efforts :-).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5113
BTW, this is the best visual I've ever seen on how a ported box works, VERY beneficial for someone curious.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_2/cmilleressayporting.html

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3933
Heres a good website I saved talking about ports check this out as well

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?p=387667#post387667

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 206
what if i am running 2 subs and im making a box should i separate the 2 chambers or leave it as one big one or does it not even matter??

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
also since they are 2 alpine type R subs and i listen to rap should i port it or leave it sealed? it want it to be loud but have good SQ too.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 371
if you listen to rap i'd say ported. you will see a gain in SPL and if you have a decent design you won't lose much SQ. plus, ported helps rap achieve that "boomy" sound

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
alright what about keeping it as one big box or making it into 2, one for each sub?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us