Are these worth the money

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon This one

Post Number: 27
http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLK3006BA4?vq_id=none

Are these worth buying and installing? im going to be putting in some polk or jl components, depends on how much money i get. ive heard that kick panels are suppose to be way better sounding, but has anyone ever seen or heard this brand? thank you in advance

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 680
they are really cheap and thin. i saw a pair for my car and they were way off. passenger's side was good, but drivers faced up into the fire wall. would have to sound like crap. its best not to waste your money on a cheap/easy fix and put it towards some nicer custom made ones.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
what should they be made out of? yours are made out of fiberglass, how do they sound? did you make them yourself or did you have it done somewhere?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5107
Q logics are made of ABS plastic. Generally, the imaging is pretty good out of them (an ENORMOUS difference over stock doors). But, the panels are very thin and they resonate. They are also open backed, so you aren't going to get good bass performance from them. Best thing to use them for is 3 way components, with a 4" midrange driver. You'll still want to deaden them, use a lot of polyfill behind them, and get them to seal as tight to the carpeting/panels as possible. They are also geared for general installs, and while they work well overall on most speakers, you'll get best results in imaging and overall performance if you go custom. SQ will improve quite a bit as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Jonathan, did you mean something like this

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1190

what did you mean by its best to use them for 3 way components? did you mean put the 4" in the kick panel and the 6.5" in the door or the other way around?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 685
the Q Logics can only hold a 6 1/8 inch speaker without modification. a 6 1/2 won't fit. and because they are open backed, the 4 inch, which doesn't reproduce as much bass as the 6 inch from the 3 way set, will work better in the panel. and yes, 6 inch in door, 4 inch and tweet in kick panel.

my panels are fibreglass, completely enclosed, deadened and vynal covered, holding the 4 inch and tweeter from the JL XR 3 way set (6 inch is in factory location, which is perfectly located with the kick panels, everything is like only a few inches appart). sounds great, i had mine made by a friend who runs a car audio/accessory shop make mine. Auto expressions.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
so brandon do you have the JL Audio XR653CSi? is their any weekness in it? let me know your thought on the strenghts and weekness's of that set. thanx again

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5117
Yep, midbass in door, midrange and tweeter in kicks. Works best with most car comps anyway since midbass drivers are typically designed to perform optimally infinite baffle.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 691
i've been satisfied with them so far, had them in for a couple months. got these when my CDT HD 3 ways got messed up, water damage, and decided to change to JL to match everythng else in my car. i like the mid range on the JL's a lot better then the CDT's. the metal tweeters on the JL's aren't as bright as i was afraid they might be, the CDT's had a silk. clean and crisp. mid bass is pretty much the same, can't really tell any difference. powering them with a JL 300/2. the only problem i had was with the crossover. the heavy multi taped inductor doesn't stay secure on the board. i had to super glue them down to make sure they didn't break connection. they stay great now, lol. they do bring out any imperfections in the music you play. Mp3 files usually. but what do you expect from compressed music.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
are they worth the price to you? i found them for 359.99 at woofersetc.com, and around 300 on ebay. if i decide on them i will prob get the q-logics and deaden em and polyfill em and put the 4" in them. one more question, when i put the 6.5" midbass in the door, should i put something behind them to block the water so they dont get damaged like your cdts? and if so, what?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5121
Well worth the price. Look at the 2006 version, they get an update. 4" midrange now has a treated paper cone.

"should i put something behind them to block the water so they dont get damaged like your cdts? and if so, what?"
Water drip shield is about all you can do. You'd have to fabricate it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
also, another question i have about kick panels, wont my leg get into the way of the tweeter and midrange since im a fatman and its a compact car, and my leg is usually in front of where the kick panel would go? or will it still sound better down there then say up in the dash in the factory 3.5" opening? thanx so much for helping me. i was just gonna buy a 2 way set like the polk dbs and put the midbass in the door and tweeter up in the dash. also, if you have aim, my screenname is mrmikelazott, and i should be on all day and night. if you have msn my msn name is mrmikelazott@hotmail.com, and yahoo name is mrmikelazott@yahoo.com, there's kind of a pattern there huh.lol.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5123
"also, another question i have about kick panels, wont my leg get into the way of the tweeter and midrange since im a fatman and its a compact car, and my leg is usually in front of where the kick panel would go? or will it still sound better down there then say up in the dash in the factory 3.5" opening?"

Sometimes you have to improvise these things. Looking at the location of the midrange drivers with that car, it doesn't look like it would be too much of an issue. Your leg wouldn't block it any worse than it would being in the door, you'd actually get better off axis performance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
"Your leg wouldn't block it any worse than it would being in the door, you'd actually get better off axis performance."

Please explain off-axis performance to me. sorry im a nub.

"Water drip shield is about all you can do. You'd have to fabricate it."

what do you mean. just a peice of something thats waterproof like black plastic or a piece of a tarp, or something else.

"Well worth the price. Look at the 2006 version, they get an update"

ive heard that, what is the upgrade, do you know?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5124
"Please explain off-axis performance to me. sorry im a nub"
The frequency response of the driver when it's not pointing directly at you. Like 30 degrees off, 60 degrees off, etc.

"what do you mean. just a peice of something thats waterproof like black plastic or a piece of a tarp, or something else. "

Plastic, sheet metal, anything that will mount over the speaker and keep water from dripping directly on it.

"ive heard that, what is the upgrade, do you know?"
The paper cone midrange (used to be poly). Probably changed the crossover to meet that drivers requirements, not sure, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
THANK YOU SO MUCH. if i need anything else i will post it, believe me, as long as you (jonathan) and brandon at least respond.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 699
i didn't know there was a 2006 version of the JL XR 3 ways. got mine off of ebay for like $320 shipped. and they have the treated paper cone on the mid range.

and for my doors to protect the speakers from water, i bought some foam speaker baffels and cut the back and bottom out, leaving the top and a lip on the backsto water can't get to the speaker. working great.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
is the bass response still good with those? does it affect the midbass in any way soundwise?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5129
"is the bass response still good with those? does it affect the midbass in any way soundwise?"

Midbass driver is the same as it ever was. It's the midrange (4") that is a paper cone now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
no, i ment with the baffles that brandon has, sorry didnt make that very clear

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5130
Oh, sorry :-).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
with the jl 3 ways, what would be a cheap, decent 6x9s in the back that wouldnt mess up the imaging. i carry passengers more than enough. i already a sony xplod amp that puts out 50w rms x2 @4 ohms, so i was thinking some cheap sony 6x9s to run off this amp.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SONXSV6930A?vq_id=none

what do you think. what do you suggest. i dont want to spend too much on the rear since im spending so much on the front. but i dont want to buy some 6x9s that are going to ruin the sound of the jls. thanx so much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us