Kenwood excelon opinions

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 72
What is everyone's opinion on the excelon speakers? I was never a Kenwood fan, just because I haven't heard good things about them lately. But I was shopping for some componenets, and I compared the type R 6-1/2", two sets of Hertz 6-1/2", and Kenwood kfc-x1300P 5-1/4" components. And even as bias as I am against Kenwood, I went with them because they sounded wayyyy better than the Alpines, and as clear and high quality as the Hertz. I know Alpine doesn't make the greatest speakers you can get, but I haven't heard anything but good things about them. And from what I've heard so far, Hertz makes pretty good sh!t. If anyone has any opinions other than sending me a link to the GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY LIST, let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 80
They suck. I absolutely hate the sound of kenwood excelon speakers. They are not good at imaging at all they have a wierd bass sound, highs are tinny. everytning about them i despise!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 756
Kenwood in car audio, well, just stick with their HU's. Amps (not sure about). Subs/Speakers suck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Vincent, which speakers are you talking about? I've heard some really shitty kenwood speakers, but the 5 1/4 components sounded great. And what weird bass sound? when you're running them with a sub or subs, they sound crystal clear. Unless you're one of those morons who buys speakers, then cranks the bass boost on your deck all the way up in hopes that the car load of 16 year old girls beside you can hear your black eyed peas. That's really all I've seen that's good about the type R components and speakers is that the cone is really stiff and they've got a lot of excursion, so you can get decent bass out of them. I don't understand how people could say good things about them. I mean, they're decent, but they sound like sh!t compared to anything else in their price range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 761
Are we talking about Alpine or Kenwood now? Brett, you jumped from one to the other. I hear that Cerwin Vega V-Mag and the new V-Max components have pretty powerful bass and good highs, and for a price probably equal to the Kenwoods, especially the V-Mags.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
I'm talking about Kenwood. I'm refering to Alpine because of ratings I've heard from people. Like on the good bad ugly list. Type R speakers rate good, and kenwood rate sh!t, even though excelon components sound WAY better than alpine components. I'm making a point that people shouldn't make a choice based on a list or rating. And people shouldn't advise others on what to buy based on ratings, even if they've never heard the product. Don't worry too much about it Tyler, I'm just trying to make it perfectly clear to Vincent that he's a dink, and obviously either has never heard an excelon component set, or listened to some $70 kenwood 6x9s at walmart and thinks he knows the brand. I don't know what speakers he heard, but they must not have been the ones i was talking about. Or they were powered off a deck or installed sh!tty.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR

Post Number: 92
The kenwood speakers are the new oversized 7 inch compenent set, i think kfc-x170? something like that. I just don't think they reproduce bass accurately and the highs sound like they are straining.

I'm not one of those 16 year old kids, i have a 1400 dollar set of compenents bi-amped by a 1300 dollar amp. I'd like to think that i'm more of a person that loves to listen to music then to blast it.

I wouldn't make pre-judgements on people that don't like the speakers that you speak of. OBVIOUSLY hearing is a subjective matter, you might like the 100 dolalr excelons better then my diamond d9 components.

If you don't believe my setup in my car right now, check out the car audio bragging area, there's a picture of my trunk in it.

Bronze Member

Portland, OR

Post Number: 95
Oh also i wanted to make sure i mentioned that i did listen to them properly installed with a kenwood excelon amp powering them.

Oh another thing too, i also hate alpines too. i think they sound like garbage too. No headunit maker makes any good speakers. The only half way decent one is eclispe, and they are ok AT best.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 347
I've never once had a complaint about any Kenwood speakers, they're solid products. If your shop's selling $50 Kenwoods next to $110 alpines they'll usually use tricks to get you to spend higher. The Kenwood Excelon subs are awesome hands down and I think the components and coaxials sound good. Kenwood decks are solid performers be it hard to manipulate. I don't see why Kenwood's getting such a bad rap on here they're good products.

Silver Member

Post Number: 804
Ok, Vincent does have a VERY nice system. Although, yet again, the reproduction of sound in a mute point. To some people, things sound better than others. You can't tell someone, that a JL subwoofer is better than a Sony, because there are some people that would prefer the Sony, no matter what facts and specs as well as field testing you show them...This is why I think JL should stay out of home audio hehehe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 805
Brian, the Kenwood of today, and the Kenwood of the 70's and 80's are MUCH different. Back in the day, when build quality was a must, Kenwood made amazing products. But now, they still maintain good HUs/receivers/amps, and so on (although not as good as those of yesteryear), but their speakers aren't all that great. But yet again, that's my opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Amish_marauder

Post Number: 15
I wouldn't buy Kenwood speakers either. The ones I have heard were only ok. I'm a huge Kenwood fan though. my entire home theater system is made up of kenwood componenets, and Kenwood is my first choice for head units. But like others stated its all up to the listener to decide what they like best.

The OP did ask what people thought of Kenwood speakers so he shouldn't get upset if someone doesn't agree with him.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us