Kickpods

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 345
sorry, search is retarded, but now that i ordered my 2 12" SE's and a re12.1 i figured id start working on the speakers. right now im leaning towards xr650s or perfect 6.1's. either way, i figured if im going with a SQ designed system, i should probably look at kickpods. however, ive never actually seen kickpods, just read about em. could someone link me to a picture with kickpods in the car, and would it be likely i could make my own kickpods, or just let a professional do it? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 664
theres a couple kick panel "how to" kinda pages out there. don't know of any off the top of my head though but someone will post one.
if you can work with fiberglass, then you shouldn't have a problem. i had mine made though, just don't feel like dealing with fiberglass, lol.
if you have them made, they can run anywhere from $250 - $500. maby more, depends on how you want them done, finish and other things like that.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 346
sh*t, is there a particular reason why i should spend 50 bucks more on kickpods than the componets themselves, doesnt seem worth it to me...

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 668
the installation has a lot of affect on how the speakers sound. thats the reason people move the speakers from doors to kick panels to begin with.
if you try to do the kicks yourself, you will save a lot of money, shouldn't cost but like $50-75 on materials to do them yourself.
also, whether kick panels will be benificial or not depends on the vehicle you are putting them in. they work well in small cars, but not so well in trucks.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 347
well my car is pretty small, 3000GT, making a custom wedge box for 2 12" SE's now, this is my first system, but im trying to do it good and right from the start. i understand that the install has alot to do, but with only a 200$ set of componets, how big of a difference is it going to make having kickpods.. and also, if i made them myselves, im sure i could put them together alright, i worked in a lumber yard over the summer, but id have no idea with the positioning.. if i positioned them not perfect, wouldnt i be better off in stock locations anyways?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1802
http://www.elitecaraudio.com/home/html/article.php?sid=20
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/164608
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2047062
http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/kickpanels/index.htm

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 348
thank you. my question is why do they tape the entire bottom of where they want the kickpanel to be... to get a molding of it? thats going to be pretty hard to do for a first install

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1803
nope. the reality is it doesn't have to be perfect at that point. like you said, it's just a mold. like outlining before you color:-)

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 349
i understand the positioning now that ive seen pictures of what it looks like, but what does the mid being right next to the tweeter do? because right now my tweeters on my dash reflecting off the windshield right at me, what more would it do to have it angled right at me?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 699
As far as I understand it, you want the tweeter and midrange to be about the same distance away from you, for SQ reasons.
Also, he tapes everything and covers it because the resin is super sticky and hard to clean.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us