Extra Battery

Bronze Member
Username: Reseaudio

Post Number: 23
I know that using an extra battery only helps when your engine is not running. But if i did use an extra battery with my system would there be any advantages to using one?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2425
an isolated, dedicated deep cycle battery for the audio system allows you to run the system into the ground with the engine shut off, then still start the car with an unaffected starter battery.
The alternator then recharges the deep cycle and the starter battery while supplying power to the rest of the car as needed.

Username: Kennyman

Post Number: 8
Just curious how would I isolate the rear deep cycle battery from the starter battery so that I don't drain both when the car is off

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2444
you use a battery isolator.
Stinger makes them, RV shops sell generic ones..
not hard to find them.
you need one rated for the output of the alternator or larger
check ebay for "battery isolator"

Bronze Member
Username: Reseaudio

Post Number: 24
would i be able to wire my amp to 1 ohm and have it be stable anymore so than with no extra battery?

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 25
no, the stability of the amp has to do with the impedance and not where the power is coming from.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3348
well, true as long as the car's charging system can supply the required current to drive the amplifier at the given load.

Username: Roentgen

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
I would like to update my system to 2 12W6v2 off of a JL 1000/1. I don't play the music with the engine off and I keep the volume to around 13-15 (quite low settings). I would like to get an Optima Yellow Top battery, but would this be a waste of money for me in regards to what I said above?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3351
if it'll be your only battery, go with a red top, not yellow.

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 3
Glasswolf, I have a 1998 Honda Civic and as you know, Optima makes the 51RD which fits right in where the stock battery is. Plus, I believe the yellow top is going to be cheaper for me compared to the red top at the store I'm going to purchase it from.

You would still go with the red top over the yellow top??

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3358
yellow is deep cycle, and makes a poor starter battery.
the red top is cheaper (by $20-30 maybe) and is a higher CCA starter battery by design.
If you want a yellow top deep cycle, look at trunk placement for it, as a second battery on an isolator for the audio system (dedicated)

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 4
I'll take that into consideration GlassWolf. I'll probably go with the red top first, and then when I upgrade my system, I'll place the yellow top in the trunk.

Using two batteries instead of one, would you recommened upgrading to a bigger alternator. If so, then I'll probably stick with the red top and not go with the deep cycle battery.

Anonymous

If you are going with a JL1000/1 then yes even with another battery you are going to need a bigger alternator. That JL will pull about 100 amps by its self. I would get a 180/200amp alternator.

trickfly04
Unregistered guest
how big of a alternator would a 500rms amp reqier if i have power everything even seats. i'm just want the amp to get the power it needs and i don't want my lights to dim.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3367
500w is around 50A of current, so around 50A over your stock alternator rating.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us