Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 285
is a circle(pvc) port better then a mdf slot port? or does it not matter

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3586
slot will be louder but its more work & a larger box too ........

Bronze Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 90
it just depends on what u tune it too, but if there is a difference i wouldnt know it

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1766
9 times out of 10 you wont be able to tell the difference.

for example:
if you have two 4cuft (gross) boxes and you use pvc on one and a slot port on the other...both tuned to the same freq w/ the same amount of port area (one w/ a 6" pvc the other w/ a 2"x 14" slot port...both would have ~28sq inches of port)

both boxes would sound the same.

one thing that comes into play w/ a slot port box is that the port actually does have to be as long as a PVC port to tune the box to the same freq. end correction comes into play w/ the slot port...since the port uses a side of the box for one wall of the port, and that side of the box continues out longer than the vent itself. the vent will act as if it is 1/2 of its own height longer than it actually is.

ex: a 2"x14" slot port 11" long would act as if it was 12" long. this is because the 2" height of the port is 2" and the wall of the box that contiues past the end of the port still acts as port of the port.

Bronze Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 93
does it matter how long the slot port is?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1768
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=165

go the the very bottom left of the page and read it...it will explain end correction for slot ports.

Silver Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 286
so if my box calls for a 4" by 7.75" long cirlce port, what would the dimensions be for a slot port? i tried to do it and got a slot port with and opening 3.54"x 3.54" and 7.75" long...is that correct?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us