Kenwood Cd player - when cold won't read- Now won't take cds...

Username: Tre2006

Post Number: 1
Ok, I hope you guys got to see most of the Subject, because It seems like there are a few things going on.
First off, starting yesterday (First REAL COLD MORNING HERE) I get up and go to put my cd in like everymorning I have to go to work.. it takes in the cd, makes a noise like it's trying to read the cd, but doesn't stick, then it spits it RIGHT BACK OUT. It did that for over an hour, then I put a cd in UP SIDE DOWN, it stayed in the player, I ejected the cd, put it in normal and it played fine.

So, I get up this morning and it is doing the same thing. So I think I'm doing the ALL MIGHTY TRICK and put the cd in UPSIDE DOWN, it spits it out, 5 out 6 times, and when it WOULD stay I would eject the cd and then put it in and it STILL wouldn't stick!

THEN......
All of a sudden I get the cd out, After putting it in normal, and normally it goes to RADIO after it spits the cd out, this time it didn't. It acted as if the cd was STILL INSIDE, I push eject and it keeps making the EJECT sound, then I go to put a cd in, and it doesn't go, It is if your trying to put push the cd back in "AS IT'S Ejecting" the mechanism doesn't let it slide in, then it will come up with and ERR MSG.

I finally had to get out of my car before I ripped it out of the dash, Things like this REALLY get to me. I don't have patience. I sat there yesterday and messed with it for the hour long ride, (by that I mean every now and then trying to put the cd in to see if it would stay) Not trying to force the cd to stay or anything.

I'm not sure what EXACT brand it is, but if it matters i will see if I can find out. It is a Kenwood, with a REMOTE. Which my wife magicaly lost last week! But that is a different story.
If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it. Because I really don't think I can get in the car and go through that again without breaking it.
Thanx soooo much
Let me know if the actual model is needed, I'll see if I can find out. If I find a link to it on the web i will update the post with the link..

Thank you guys soooooo much

Tre

Post Number: 2
Here is a link to the cd player that I have. As far as I can tell, this is it. I just wanted to add it is a detachable face, remote, Sirius Ready, with a carying case for the face plate.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=1846546

Again, if anyone can please help me out I would really appreciate it.
Thanx in advance..

Tre

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2310
On cold mornings, the lens on the pickup can get fogged up fairly easily. By putting a CD in there and the mechanism telling the processor it's there, but the pickup isn't reading the CD, it might have jammed it up in one way or another.

Conclusively, the pickup/CD mech needs to be realigned, or even replaced.

Post Number: 3
this might be a silly question, but is there a way for me to realign it? Because that is what I was thinking, that something was either up higher, or down lower than normal. Maybe like it is where there IS a cd in it or something. But, I'm not sure how to take the cd player out. I found the manual to it on the web and it shows that you need this tool, two things you slide into each side of the cd player that HOOKS onto something and you pull it out. But I don't have those tools. It came with the car when I bought it.
I was thinking about trying to see if there was something had jammed up in there, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

And, when you said
"the pickup/CD mech needs to be realigned, or even replaced"

Do you mean the CD player as a WHOLE might need replaced, or the pickup mech? If you can replace the mech, would it even be worth it? Or just to get a new cd player? Depends on the cost of repairing it. Just wondering if you have any idea.

Thanx for the info.
For some reason I couldn't come to the FORUM on this site from last night, and most of today. I didn't know what was going on.
But, again. Thanx for the reply. Anyone else have any info I would greatly appreciate it.

Bronze Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 61
It woudl be more cost effective to get a new cd player. And most places i have found don't re-align the laser, most jsut replace the whole optical assembly.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2322
Repair centers are actually good when it comes to repairing head units. I've never seen labor costs exceed $150 and that is rare. After it's been fixed, the centers usually offer some type of warranty for a period of about 90 days.

The whole CD mechanism would be fairly expensive if you bought it directly from the manufacturer or through a repair center (if they offer it). You might find a dead unit on ebay with a working CD player and swap mechs if you really want to take that route.

But the problem can most likely be fixed without having to replace the whole mech.

Most repair centers offer free estimates and all you have to pay is a diagnostic fee (on average about $35). Then you can decide if you want to proceed with the repair or just take the unit back and fix it for yourself.

Post Number: 4
I really want to thank you guys for your replies.
So, you think there is NO WAY I could get the front part off and move something back in place? I didn't think the odds of that were very high, but thought I would throw the ? out there. Looking up the model of cd player that I have, most places are selling it for $88, which if it would cost even $40 to fix it, I would be better off getting a new one I guess. The reason I really liked the one that I have is because it is SIRIUS ready. Just to vent, I'll let you guys know why I want a sirius ready cd player, and WHY its killing me that the cd player isn't working now. So, to those of you that have replied, thanx again. OK, now I'm going to vent.. you can stop reading here if you like. Take care guys. And Merry Christmas.

*****VENTING****

Ok, some of you MIGHT listen to this show, or have listened to it in the past.. it either goes one of three ways, YOU HATE HIM, YOU LOVE HIM, OR you havn't ever listened. HOWARD STERN.
4 years ago, here in Kentucky he finally came to a station that we get, I have listened to him ever since. But past year and 1/2 has been soooo aweful because they are censoring him to bad that he can't say TIT :-) You might have heard, or read that he is going to SIRIUS the first of the year. Where he can say and do what he likes. 5 months ago they took him off the station where I live, and many other stations across the country. Though they had contracts till the end of the year, when he would be leaving, they took him off anyway. So, the only way I can listen is if I download the show, burn it on cd and listen to it durning my morning drive. This way I am always a day behind. Now that my cd player is messed up I can't listen to him at all. yea I can listen at home, but I got sooo used to listening to the show durning my 1 & 1/2 hour drive that it almost drives me insain to not be able to listen to the show during the drive now. If you know anything about howard stern, then you know the name IMUS. He was the #1 guy in NY before howard got there 20 years ago or something like that. HE is AWEFUL, sounds like he talks with a mouth full of rocks, is constantly clearing his throat. HEHE
Guess who I woke up months ago to hear REPLACED HOWARD on our station!!!?!?! OUT OF ALL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD. It just really gets to me because they aren't punishing HOWARD by taking him off those stations, they are just saying F U to the listeners of their stations. EVERY station that has DROPPED howard early went from #1, to #10, #12, etc.. you get the picture. It was the dumbest move in the whole world. Because not only did I listen to HOWARD on that station, but because he was on it, I listened the rest of the day to the different shows, but since they took him off, I havn't listened ONCE. So, I CAN NOT WAIT for him to go to SIRIUS, now I am going to have to buy a new CD PLAYER that is SIRIUS ready, AND a SIRIUS player now.. all at once. Cause he starts Jan 3rd or something like that. But, sorry to vent. I feel better now :-)
If you guys are still reading, thanx for the help, I really do appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us