Help me out

Username: Shway

Post Number: 4
Hey, Ive just been observing some threads on here and I think I decided on 2 12"Type R. They are a prety good price on sonicelectronix.com. I plan on making my own custom box for them. ( I plan on finishing it off with a wood venere, never seen that done) Alright, first I was wondering what I should get the 2ohms or 4ohms and what amp to get. I am on a tight budget, like to spend under or around 400. Heres what I would like to get out of my subs, I want you to be able to hear them like if I pull into a parking lot, and maybe outbeat some of my offbrand friends subs. Yet sound good. Also I was just curious, how are the type R's compared to like a JL w3's ??? Thanks For the comments...

Bronze Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 64
is it 400 for both the subs and the amp, or 400 for the amp alone?

Post Number: 5
Well the two type R's come out to around 260 on that site, so around 140 to 200 for the amp, My friend is getting some 1000 wat amp (rms) for 160, I have never heard of the brand before however. I dont know a whole lot about all of this so Im tryen to learn. Any sug. would be nice. remember i would hook up 2 r's.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 781
jl w3's are good subwoofers.. but for the money the type r's are better.. they will get louder.. put them in a ported box matched with a 1000 watt amp and it will pound hard... voice coil configs of course depend on the amp your getting.. so its better to get your amp first.. alot of amps give there peak power at 1 ohm.. and others at 2 ohms.. 2 2ohm dvc subs will give u a 2 ohm load on an amp.. 2 4ohm dvc subs will give you a 1 ohm load on the amp.. a wood venere would look nice.. if u have a mitre saw use some nice stained wood corners for the edges(or plain and stain it yourself) .. i did that with a box and it turned out pretty good.. 1 guy posted a pick of his box he made and it looked awesome... nice wood finish with some seethrough areas for the magnets.. it was accually for 2 type r's to.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3503
get the 4ohms dvc version

for that low budget - get a Hifonics bx1500d amp

wood veneer - thats been done a few mths back .

some1 posted some pics with 2 type X in it , was a really nice box that looked more like a cabinet/piece of furniture ......

Post Number: 6
So, is the 4ohms gona sound better and the 2ohms be louder?

Ya, Im sure the wood veneer has been done, I have all the tools and wood at a shop that I need, I figured it would look better and be cheaper.
How do you recomend porting a custom box?
Thanks for the comments!

Post Number: 7
Also, as far as amps go, I looked at the bx 1500d amp, looks good. Just curious how the spl would be at 4ohms, 2ohms?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3510
a 1000wrms sub @ 4ohms WILL NOT be louder than a 1000wrms @ 2ohms subs

different ohm subs were created to allow flexibility with different amp loads -

4 ex there are 1000 @ 2ohms amps so u if u want to run 2 subs u buy 2ohms dvc subs or (2) 4ohms svc subs

if its a 1000wrms @ 1ohm amp u buy (2) 4ohms dvc subs ........

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3511
sub wiring guide

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
is it bad to hook up a 2 ohm amp to a 4 ohm sub?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3512
general rule is amp load & sub load MUST match -

a mismatch could result in possible damage to either the sub or amp

www.bcae1.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
you love that site huh Rovin?

Post Number: 9
Alright, I think Im getting it. The Hifonics bx1500d amp has 1500 WRMS @1 Ohms. So If I get 2 type r's at 4ohms dvc, and I run it in parrelell. I get a 1 ohms load and therefore get 1500 watts???
Also Do ohms affect the sound quality at all?? Like a 4ohms sound better than 2ohms, or dose it just have to do with the power load?
Sorry if the questions seem dumb.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
even I know the second half of that, NO OHMS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SOUND AT ALL

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3513
yeah NOL1M1TSOLD1ER - its like the car audio bible ..lol

ok i thought u would have read somewhere that Hif 1500 amp actually does just over 1000wrms so thats y i picked that 4 u .

sub ohms loads does not have any audible differences , so don't sweat it ........

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 196
thats the exact system i have.and it hits hard.and that amp is a little overated so ull be fine.more like 450-500 watts per sub and thats perfect.nope the ohms dont effect the sound quality at all.its just have to do with matching power to and amp thats all.

Silver Member

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 197
dam rovin your fast lol.

Post Number: 10
Wow, ok cool. Hey Tom, how dose the system compare to others. Who ya out bumped, who have you been out bumbed by? One thing I want to accomplish is to outbump a friend who is obbsesed with his JL w3's, and he has 300 wats going to each sub. How would that system compare?

Silver Member

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 200
well to tell u the truth i really never pushed it hard yet.im just trying to break in the subs first.and when i do turn it up theres so much rattle and i hate that noise.so ill just wait so i can get some eDead then ill try see if i can out bump some people.but if u want a little more SPL go ported with the box built to specs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us