Turning on system in da cold

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
is it ok to turn on my system even if its 20 degrees or less. Would this harm my subs or amp. If i can how should i turn it on?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 668
I live in NJ and nights are getting in the teens already I think, snowing and whatnot. I haven't had any problems with it being cold with my equipment. Although I'd personally let my stuff warm up a little bit before I started cranking it.

Bronze Member
Username: Sexy_kuta

Post Number: 83
haha alright guys.. what are subs?
subs are electric magnet which have motors... so justl ike any other you will need to warm them up..i would recommend to put the volume low.. like around 10.. and let ur system play at low volume for about 15-20min. let the drivers warm up then it shouldnt be a risk. just start pounding them when u start the car.. same concept as starting the car

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 257
this was posted a month or so ago. there were people from canada with temperatures below 0 and they had no problem. There are some cases with extreme low temps and the cones cracking, but thats about it. From a chemical make-up standpoint, im pretty sure polypropylene is known to fail under load at around -22 C. I only know this because at my job we do alot of work with polypro, and this is only for woofers whose cone is made out of polypropylene. So basically, unless its like 0 degress or colder, you should be fine.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 366
it get's down to about -20 degrees celcious here sometimes and I havn't had any problems yet. I did here of subs cracking open due to the cold, but they were the Kenwood Tornados. I guess that's what you get for having cheap subs.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 274
Sometimes when its kindof cold like 10-15 my headunit dvd screen takes like 30 seconds to go up insead of like 3...its funny.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 262
i doubt a cone cracked....

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 383
if your talking about what I said, mine is true........seen it/tested it with my own eyes. Not sure if you were even talking to me or not, but it get's awful cold up this way and a lot of people take there subs out because they seen what happens to everyone elses. Personally, I wouldn't do it but the only subs I heard tell of breaking up was the Kenwoods. They are really popular around here, and I guess the material it's made out of just can't stand up to it.

Silver Member
Username: Shadylimitedx

Pgh, Pa Usa

Post Number: 425
its been coldhere an i noticed my system hasnt been loud as b4 is it cause of the cold
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us