Dynaudio esotec tweeters

Blair_aus
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to incorporate an 8 ohm tweeter such as the dynaudio esotec, into a pair of boston accoustic pro (3ohm) components...using the origing Boston Accoustic crossover and just swiching the tweeter?

or will I have to buy an passive crossover and run the tweeters off two separate amp channels and the mids of another two channels??

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 653
that depends on how the crossover is wired. that asotec tweeter is 8 ohms, because when hooked up to the crososver and its other components, the load on the amp is 4 ohms or 2, depending on the model speaker system you get. if the boston tweeter you have is 8 ohms, then adding the 8 ohm esotec tweeter will not change the load on the amp. just the sound will change.
i don't know any details on that tweeter though to tell you anything else.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 639
For $600 you can get 20 Vifa tweeters and the sound difference isnt that big.

DYNAUDIO IS OVERRATED GERMAN GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 69
mix-are you sure? (besides it is manufactured in denmark:-))

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 640
I find it hard to justify paying $600 for a tweeter just because of its voice coil wiring.

http://www.speakerbits.com/Default.aspx?cat=8&menu=41

Also;

Copied and pasted from www.dynaudio.com

Newsletter subscription
Imprint

Responsible for Concept and Content:

DYNAUDIO International GmbH
Ohepark 2
21224 Rosengarten
Germany

Phone +49 (0) 4108 4180 - 0
Fax +49 (0) 4108 4180 - 10

Email

Ust-Id. Nr. DE 114 960 879
Tostedt HRB 3346
President/CEO: Wilfried Ehrenholz

Programming,
Layout & Realization:

DYNAUDIO International GmbH | Marketing

Stefan Schlick
Webmaster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer

Some places say made in germany, some palces say made in denmark.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 278
i agree that $600 for tweets is alot...dynaudio is a very good company but its even worse than JL on high prices.

i prefer DLS. Look into there tweets, i think ull like them.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5016
Instead of the Esotecs, look into the Morel compact dome models. Very similar sound and much easier to accomodate in a car.

Best tweeter from Dynaudio is the Esotar (which is heavenly), but it's extremely expensive and you can get similar from SEAS, Morel, Vifa, etc. for a lot cheaper.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 642
Blair_aus,

Lets address your question(s).

"Is it possible to incorporate an 8 ohm tweeter such as the dynaudio esotec, into a pair of boston accoustic pro (3ohm) components...using the origing Boston Accoustic crossover and just swiching the tweeter?"

No.

You partially answered your own question.

"or will I have to buy an passive crossover and run the tweeters off two separate amp channels and the mids of another two channels??"

Here is why;

Crossovers are based on resiatance (ohms). For instance take a 6 dB slope using a 4 ohm tweeter. In order to slope at 3000 Hz, you would need a certain size capacitor.

I dont have the slide rule in front of me right now otherwise I would give you the exact values.

Now;

For a 6 dB slope using a 8 ohm tweeter, you would need a different size capacitior.

Therefore your inquiry would not be solved.

If you just swaped a 4 ohm tweeter for a 8 ohm tweeter using the same crossover, the crossover point would change.

You may end up with a tweeter that is crossed too high, and it would sound too thin.

Or

You may end up with a tweeter that is crossed too low and you will get too much midrange, and possibly even blowing the tweeter up because it cannot handle the midrange frequencies.

As far as hooking up one 2 channel amp to your mids and one to your tweeters is not going to help. It may even be terrible.

Just change the crossover with a passive crossover that suits the mids and new tweeters together, and they will live happily ever after, no worries.

Blair_aus
Unregistered guest
I found out that the boston tweeter is actually 8 ohm. The esotec tweeter isnt $600 - thats the esostar (I think thats how you spell it.) The esotec can be had for around $200 a pair and use simmilar technology as the esostar.

Anyway I just bought a pair of 8ohm Audax tweeters which I have heard are comparable to the dyns and have a really low fs of around 1000hz. They're usually used in high end home theatres. Im keen to get em in and see how they go.

Has enyone here had any experience with the Audax tweeter??

Blair_aus
Unregistered guest
I found out that the boston tweeter is actually 8 ohm. The esotec tweeter isnt $600 - thats the esostar (I think thats how you spell it.) The esotec can be had for around $200 a pair and use simmilar technology as the esostar.

Anyway I just bought a pair of 8ohm Audax tweeters which I have heard are comparable to the dyns and have a really low fs of around 1000hz. They're usually used in high end home theatres. Im keen to get em in and see how they go.

Blair_aus
Unregistered guest

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 643
I have never been a fan of audax.

I remember them as the cheap plastic tweeter company. I know they have improved, but I have always preffered the vifa tweeters over any other tweeter manufacturer out there, including focal and dynaudio.

My buddy that influenced me in this hobby is a big fan of MB Quart. I am a soft dome tweeter fan though.

1KHz is not low Fs for a tweeter. There are others out there that go to 500 Hz. The Aurasound whispers go down to 200 Hz.

At least your Boston X-over is going to be ok for you to use a 8 ohm tweeter. Let us know what it sounds like.

What model Audax tweeter did you get? You know Vifa, Seas, Peerless are owned by the same parent company. Each one of them makes like 20-30 different tweters.

Bronze Member
Username: Blair

Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 11
Yeah I have to say that I prefer a soft dome tweeter as well hence the reason I wanted to trade the Boston ones. I bought the TMO25F. Apparently thay are the premium ones that are used by OEM makers in their speakers. Im from Australia and most of these products are unheard of. You have to do some digging to find what you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us