Kx 1200.1 to w7?

Audioholic
Unregistered guest
Hey all,

Been into sound systems for a few years now and I finally got a nice mustang worth some good sound. As a lot of you know mustangs have no trunk. I'd like to think of myself as a basshead but I never like to kill all brights with shear bass. I've read a good bit of forums here and there and I like the sounds of jl's big bad w7. It hits hard yet keeps excellent sq. So of course trying to do things right this time I wanted to incorperate some jl into my bump. Well I cut a corner and bought a kicker 1200.1 for a great price. Now is when I wonder if it can run a w7's 1.5 ohms without putting the amp into protection mode. I've heard and seen amp and sub impeadance mismatches and the shot amp afterwards. Can this combination be done? Or should I simply buy the l7's meant for it? What will sound the best?(looking for VERY hard hitting yet great sq. Not loudness so much as back and chest throbbing) No high school parking lot ported sheite.hehe

Oh the sub or subs will be 10's

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 41
if u get 1 sub, the amp would be too much. it would be fine with 2 subs

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 269
Thats too much power for 1 10W7...it would be fine for the 13W7 or 2 10W7s.

Id stay away from the L7.

A 10' IDmax would sound really good and be able to take 1200watts.

2 10' alpine rs
1 10' alpine X...wouldnt have much SPL.
2 10' RE SEs

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 755
just to add the eclipse ti to the list.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2711
1200+ watts might kill a ti

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 758
well the ti only comes in dvc 4ohm so if he gets one its only gonna get 600watts. so he could get 2 and make it a 1ohm load which would be perfect.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1231
i think it was james longo that told me he saw the ti take the abuse from a 1500wrms amp.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 204
actually that amp would be good for that sub......the 8-12 W7 is a 3 ohm load sub.....it would be seeing the power level it needed. and with that amp throwing anouther 10w7 in the mix would be good as by the specs of the amp....it would be powering each sub at the right power level. i have heard a set of 10w7's in a small sealed box in a mustang...it was a 01. it was clean sounding!! and it got loud very easy!!

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

Royal oak, Michigan United states

Post Number: 254
yeah....the kx1200.1 puts out roughly 1400w at 1 ohm, 700w at 2 ohm, so at 1.5 ohm, it would more than likely be putting out the right amount of power for that w7

Audioholic
Unregistered guest
As long as my amp doesn't go into power mode I can play the sub at lower volumes until I can dish out the money for the second w7. One last time, impedences not matching, not a problem for the amp?

-Thanks Again to all that contributed-

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 206
nope.......i am running a 12W7 on a zapco amp that puts out 1100 at 2 ohm and 800 at 4 ohm....at 3 ohm i am guessing around 900-1000 is going to the sub!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us