Help me with amps please

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 192
2 question

1- can u buy lets say a 1000 watt rms amp...and power a 200 watt max sub...i know the full 1000 watts would kill the sub..but is there any way to make the amp play not full power?

2-lets say i want 2 amps..one for each sub..without strapping them
now i attach one rca to each amp..does this cut down on quality or power at all..

would 1 2000 watt rms amp..hooked up to 2 1000 watt rms each subwoofer...sound exactly the same as 2 1000 watt rms amps hooked up to two subs..each amp has its own sub..or would that sound worse because each amp only has 1 rca

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3425
thats 3 ?s actually -lol

1 - turn down ur gains

2 - i don't think so

3 - think i remember reading somewhere it'll sound somewhat cleaner if each sub get its own amp , but obviously it' cost$ more .....

u r refering to 2 was it premier or RE SX subs ???

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
im going with 2 premier subs..dont rmemeber model number...but theyr 1000 watts rms each
i want a total of 2000 watts rms..andive narrowed it down to one rockford fostgat T20001bd ( 2000rms) ..orrrr..two premier PRS-D3000SPL...they are 1000 rms and i would run one to each sub...and either choice is the same priceon ebay..so money isnt a deciding factor..what would be better

2 premier amps
1 rockford amp

they both have same wats rms in the end

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3436
I'd say the RF has a better reputation so imo i'd pick that .

I don't know current draws offhand but i would think 2 amps would pull more current than 1 - check fuse rating to get an idea .........

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
well i would do whatever is needed to get enough power..i just dont know what choice to make..i have no preference..to one of the amp choices over the other...i want what will last the longest..im sure they will pretty much sound the same

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
but if rockfords are overated..i would not want to over power my subs..so what do i do to make the ampnot pump as much power....bc the gain has to be set to the same voltage as the amp correct??

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3438
when your engine if off ,the voltage is standard 12 when your ride is up to a certain RPM then it creates 14.4volts & only then your amp will be getting that .

Remember i posted in a previous thread that a guy i knew applied 1400+wrms to 1 of those Premiers & it took it 4 like 45 mins then died - its very unlikely ur amp will b pushing that amt & u playing it 4 long periods , so don't sweat over it .
Also u can turn down ur gains slightly than what it really needs 2 b set @ just 2 b on the safe side .........

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
so....u say i should go with the 1 rockford...and sacrifice the slightly beter sound quality from using two premier amps...the rockford will last longer??

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
so....u say i should go with the 1 rockford...and sacrifice the slightly beter sound quality that i may get from using two premier amps...the rockford will last longer??

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3440
The RF is a higher pedigree than Premier & should have same or even better SQ & durability .

Hands down between those 2 amps i'd pick RF .

Want some other opinions ,drop a line 4 choice in that FSU vs VT thread cause it seems like alot of the guys r on it now .....

i'm gonna get some sleep ..................
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us