Suspected battery drain/leak with amps

Username: Johnno1501

Post Number: 1
My car was vandalized / stereo stolen a few months ago. Since all the repairs were completed, I've had to have numerous jump starts on my car. Initially, one of my amps (Alpine MRV-F05) was causing speaker pops and such. I disconnected the speakers, traced all the wires and reconnected them, and the popping problem mysteriously went away (I don't recall noting anything of concern during that task). However, if my car doesn't run for 3 days (long weekends) or less on cold weekends, then I need a jump come Monday morning...
I currently pulled the fuses out of the power leads as a test for the next couple of weeks. Before that, I took some poorly documented measurements. It looks like there is a slight draw of power when I initially hook-up a meter to it. And it looks like there is little/no resistance if I check from battery to ground posts on the amp. I checked on another amp and there was 'some' resistance (it was about 1/2 on the dial when I was on the 10k ohm setting) and never seemed to show any power draw. Sorry, I don't have anything more accurate, it was an awkward position to get the information based on the mounting.
What I was wondering was if there is any known information about what a current draw should be on the amp when off and what a disconnected amp should be when checking between the ground & battery posts?
Alpine mrv-f405 (suspected issue) & Alpine 3527 (ancient but apparently still working).
I'll crawl back in there to get more accurate readings and/or take the amps down off their shelf so the position isn't so awkward if needed. I didn't see anything of that nature on Alpine's site.

Thanks.

Username: Johnno1501

Post Number: 2
Oh, and it should be noted that I did have a new battery installed about 5 weeks, just in case, so it isn't like the battery is bad (or, at least....not initially).

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us