GlassWolf's Jeep System

Username: Peerpride

Hacienda Heights, California United States

Post Number: 5
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could explain exactly how the amp is directing power in GlassWolf's Jeep System?

http://www.wickedcases.com/jeep/system.jpg

I don't need you to explain the concept of RMS power, just simply explain how your subs are both getting 250 watts.

As well I'm looking to power my system with a single amp. I was hoping to take the same apporach, however, I was looking to use a 4 channel amplifier and more or less the same speakers as you. The subwoofer, however, would be an Adire Shiva, or a CompVR 2+2. Both of which would be wired to present a 4 ohn load.

Using the CompVR I am considering using a 4 channel amplifier to power the speakers and the subwoofer all on a 2 ohm load. Thus, I need around 140-200 RMS @ 2 ohms. Any Sugestions? (And mind you I'm truely not looking to spend more than 300-350 on the amp alone.)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2346
best thing I'd recommend for you is looking at a 5 channel amp solution.
these are class AB for the 4 main channels, and class D for the sub channel, supplying more clean power to the sub with less heat.
this way you can also use two 5 ohm subs, or a single 2 ohm sub.
MTX and Kicker I believe both have good 5 channel solutions.
Alipe's had these for quite a while as well.

in my jeep the Orion 2125SX is rated for 125wRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms
I have two 12" 4+4 ohm DVC subs with coils in parallel, one on each channel.
that's a 2 ohm load per sub, which is 250wRMS x 2
each sub uses a passive low-pass filter as a crossover so they only get ~80Hz and lower with a roll-off of 18dB/octave.
the mids/highs use their own crossovers, plus high-pass filters I built to block anything below 100Hz from those smaller components.
the front and rear components are wired in series to present an 8 ohm load to the amp, reducing power to those speakers so as not to cause damage, and to balance them with the subs which require more power.
The system was really just a project for me to play with building some crossovers to see how it'd work out with a single stereo amp for the whole system.
old school approach.

Username: Peerpride

Hacienda Heights, California United States

Post Number: 6
I appreciate your response, however, I'm still a little confused. The diagram on your website shows the speakers being powered by the 2 channel amplifier. Are they tri-moded with the subwoofers, or am I just misunderstanding?

Which of the subwoofers mentioned above do you recommend for my planned setup? (Kappa 6.1, 692.5i 6"x9" rear-fill, and (Most probably Alpine MRV-F450)5 channel amp)

And one last question...What do you think of the Koda series components that Adire Audio offers in terms of SQ and SPL? They seem a little pricey ($349) compared to the Kappa 6.1's, which I can get for around $200 on eBay.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2389
all of the speakers on my stereo amp are individually crossed over using passive filter networks to control impedance and thereby, control power and frequency response for each speaker.

haven't used the kodas so I couldn't really say.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us