Type-R and a8000...not sounding so good

Silver Member
Username: Biggyg9712

Post Number: 116
my friend has a type r and a mrd-m605 amp and i have a type r and a8000t amp and we have pretty much the same car. mine has plenty more watts but sounds alot worse. i just go my stuff in from ebay, it was all brand new. could it be my amp setting at all? and i played it for about 30 minutes then opened my trunk and something smelled, maybe the sub was burning? any help is appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2303
did u wire everything correctly

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
ya..i had a kicker setup in there a week ago and it was fine. then only thing is that the battery and ground wire dont really fit into the a8000t holes. so some of that wire isnt in

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2308
it could have been the glue burning off of the vc, and is ur box built to recommended specs

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
ya..and the sub has a lot more excursion that my friends. and we have the same box..when i reach like volume 28 the sub is loud but when i go to 31 the sub get a little quieter..why is this?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2311
do ur headlights dim at high volumes

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
no, i used to have the mrd m605 with the type r in my car and it sounded alot better than this setup. my sub seems to be having really high excursion and its making funny sounds when the bass get low

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
is the power and ground cables casuing damage becasue they have strands hanging out everyhwere?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 775
where was the gain /input sensitivity set on your amp?.. what is your box tuned to? and how big is it

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 266
You're clipping your amplifier out, turn the gains down. The power and ground having strands hanging out is dangerous but won't directly cause your system to sound bad. No matter what guys on this forum say I can't see the Audiobahn amps being worth having, I would say your amp is the culprit. Easy way to find out will be to swap your friends sub into your trunk, if the results are the same try swapping his amp into your car, sounds like alot of work but experimenting is always fun. If you decide to do this please post your findings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
i just remembered this: those adaptor things, the thing that u put the wires from your sub to the inside of your box..i put the sub wire into the adaptor, then u slide the adaptor onto little pegs into rhe box. the wire wouldnt really stay in that so i pretty much taped them togeather , could that be causing sound loss

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 269
I would highly doubt it. It's easy to bypass or repair that, for test purposes just bypass it by running wire directly from the amp to the sub, make sure your box is sealed; are you saying you took the terminal out and taped the wires together?

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
i taped the wire to the terminal i think, and should i try to fix the ground/power cables? could i just cut the extra strands off?

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 272
yes just cut the extra strands off you'll be fine. With the terminal problem, do you mean you taped the wires inside the enclosure to the slide termianl posts? If that's the case take the tape off and solder them or use a pair of pliers and tighten up your slide terminals so they'll stay on inside. Did you try turning down the gains yet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
i dont no which one the gain is, i dont have anything on my amp (a8000t) that says gain

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
what option is gain, does anyone know?

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 40
http://www.audiobahn.com/tech/Manuals/2005Manuals/Amplifiers/amplifier_manuals.h tml

If you're running the amp at full gain and wired at 2 ohm, the amp is putting out 800 watts rms, and the type r is only rated at 500. That might be why you smelled burning after a half hour. you can download the manual for the amp on that site. It'll tell you how to adjust it.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 274
Gain on your amp is labeled the level, turn down your bass boost then turn down the gain until the sub sounds clean when you're standing in front of it with your head unit level where you normally liseten to it at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
i turned down my bass boost and gain a lot and the bass is distorted and not very loud, could my sub be messed up or could my amp wiring be messed up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
could it be that i cut my battery and ground cables? they are the kollosus cables from knukonceptz but they didnt fit in the hole so i cut a lot of strands off. could this be the problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us