My underpowered sub is bottoming the f*&^% out

Bronze Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 90
Im only putting 160rms to my pioneer 306 and when i reach about 70 out of 80 in vol my sub is cryin whas wrong

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1657
you sure its not that amps clipping?

or maybe you are playing the sub below the boxes tuning...(if its ported)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4986
Gains are probably set wrong. Also, power ratings are thermal, not mechanical. The power that a sub can mechanically handle is dependant on the enclosure type, sealed boxes and infinite baffle handle the least overall. Ported boxes handle less below tuning, but much more at and slightly above tuning. You can still bottom out a subwoofer when underpowering it.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 2687
haven't seen you in a long while Jon.

didn't you have something going on with your truck or something?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4987
Transmission rebuild. Should finish fairly soon. The truck did it's job, I'm not complaining. I'll be getting an F-150 before too long anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Its in a ported tuned to 28hz yea i think the amp is clippin but i didn think it would be bottoming out like that

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 263
It's probably not bottoming out it's probably just distorting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
nah it kinda sounds like the coil is knocking the back of the magnet

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3167
Nester -

u will remember i told u i have 2 of those subs & to me the SQ is very poor , even with different tuning they sound like they are f@rting . From a distance of about 2o ft or so outside my ride they sound very loud & ok but inside the car it sound to me very 'plasticky/bumpy/muddy' like . They are high freq bass subs compared to others .

I'm sorry i bought mines cause i prefer SQ over just pure SPL - today i tested out my new Alpine R & them Pio subs like PURE CRAP compared to these which have a ton more SQ & still gets even louder.

look on the bright side u wasted your $ on 1 sub while i wasted twice as much - but the experience 4 me was priceless ...........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
heh heh,yea i guess ur right about the sq...damn well at least i learned a lesson about buying stuff willy nilly.I really thought they were high quality seeing as pioneer is really popular and old.Oh well.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3169
If other trinis read what we r both sying here they will laugh @ us cause u know pioneer is like their 'bible' sub & u can't tell them no .

when i was shopping around 4 a new sub earlier this yr i was playing cheap & that was the 'cheapest good sub' i could get & just like u thinking about pios good reputation made me buy it .
Only place that honest about them was some1 (manager i think) of Triple r down in gulf city when i phoned there - the man told me pio was a higher bass sub & rec some MMats & RF subs to me but u know how we trini harden . Right now i told a few ppl that i have mines 4 sale ! - lol

here is part of a email 2 some1 online b4 i saw your thread & i not trying 2 make u fell ahow btw cause we both in the same boat -lol

"Just got back from testing my Rs ***ABSOLUTELY PLEASED !!!!!!*** about them - bass hit so low freq & shweeeeeeeeeeet !

Funny though i was pushing em with a 6/7 yr old Power Acoustic 2 chan amp which rated i guess around 100wrms/chan & even with that lil power they played well & they weren't even seated flat on the box baffle board (temp held down with 4 screws )cause d cutout hole now needs to be about 1/8 wider now .

Been sitting in my ride past 2.5 hrs bumping out various tunes from reggae/pop/bass testing tunes to a few low bass hip hop songs - ooooh my ears are feeling like cloudy now .

Imagine when i power it fully - could possibly b too much bass - lol ....." ................

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3170
if case u wondering about my new Rs cost me close 2 TT$ a grand each after s/h from US 2 here including all taxes ! - u boy had it billed as us$80 4 the pair & i get taxed on that amt !

Alpine type Rs are rated @ 500wrms & just 4 kicks i just weighed 1 sub , - damn thing weighs 20 pounds flat ! that pio sub = just under 14 pds ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
wayy yea dred i could imagine.Post some pics when yuh finish nah.But i not too dissapointed cause ah couldn afford notin better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 95
heh heh nice customs trick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us