RE SX Xmax and VD?

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 38
Just wondering what the other specs were. RE did not post them on the site. Anyone know the Xmax and volume of air displaced? Just wondering cuz I'm trying to get everything right. Shooting for 150+ db.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 42
Bump

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4293
talk to Marshall he is the expert on here with the SX and trying to hit high #'s. 150 is extremly tough just to let you know.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 44
shouldn't be too bad. 2 15 RE SX running of two RE 12.1s. Getting a custom built Alt plus an optima yellow top to run em. Whats the biggest wire those RE 12.1s accept btw? Building the box a little bigger than 3.5cu per chamber.. 1"MDF braced.. tuned ports to 32hz. Still trying to figure out which way to fire the subs.. Up, down, back. Everyone tells me different things. Talking to a local shops who builds SPL competition cars.. they said to go rearfire or downfire because its a truck. After it is all done I'll post what db I hit. Hopefully after all the tuning it'll be pretty good. Anyone recomend a good sound deadener? Gonna need to double up whereever the box touches.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2012
edead v3. great stuff

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 46
1 gallon should be plenty don't ya think? Its an ext cab pu. Marshall have aim/yahoo?!

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2015
should be, i have a yukon, and i use like 2 1/2 gallons. but well worth it.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 47
Price is sure better than bying the stick on by the foot. Btw. Marshall get your @ss to posting! Lol :P.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 48
Tried to call the number on REAudio.com but it said it was not a working number. Anyone! Please help me!

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1214
Marshall's aim is southern1inla86. I just added him today and so far he hasnt been on.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 50
Thank you. I really appreciate that

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1656
ok...i'm here now...lol

kevin,
the Sx15's xmax is 21mm (one way) and its Sd is 810cm^2. but you cant just use that info to determine how loud a sub will get. when your trying to get over 150dB, the install is the key factor.

i know of a guy that put 2 SX15's in a GMC ext cab truck w/ an orion 2500d and only did 140dB. (but he tuned his box to ~32hz) I have 1 Sx15 and i do 148dB w/ a bp1200.1. (my box is tuned to peak at my truck resonance freq) INSTALL IS KEY!

what kind of truck do you have?

usually, subs/ports up works really well for SPL in ext cab trucks. if you are building this system for both daily and competition use...i highly recommend building a box w/ interchangable ports. (you will have so build an SPL port that will tune your box to peak at your truck res. freq.)

www.sounddomain.com/id/southernrebel
^pics of my interchangable ports

if you use them, you can have a really loud SQL system for daily driving (i do 138.6dB @ 28hz w/ my daily port :-)) and then you can roll up to a comp...spend 3mins putting your SPL port in, and drop a huge #.

by the way...this kinda goes against what most people will say, but build your system and test without lots of sound deadening first. in some cases, sound deadening can hurt your SPL in comps.

oh yea, do at least 1 run of 1/0 wire...then just use a distro-block and split it to two 4ga wires. (i'm 90% sure RE 12.1's take 4gz max) also, RE 12.1's are strappable so i would suggest running the pair strapped w/ the subs in a common air chamber. subs on the passenger side, port on the drivers...both firing up. also, upgrade your big-3 to 1/0 wire.

Bronze Member
Username: Waitn4

Post Number: 25
this answered almost all of my questions but i tried to go to your car domain but the link was incorrect. I was thinking about doing a similar setup with one or two sx15s and i was wondering if there would be a definite difference between the sx12s as far as the spl, the sq, and response are conscerned. and that im putting this in the back of a extended cab toyota pickup.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1658
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/650399
ok...thats the right link

here are some vids of it w/ my daily port in:
www.putfile.com/marshall_white

if you look in the vid, you can see my SPL port sitting on the front seat.

an SX12 wouldnt be quite as loud as and SX15...w/ the same amount of power, but the SX12 would require a smaller box. (~2.5cuft net)

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 562
i had an SX 12!!! lol just wanted to mention that. o btw marshall, WHERES MY BOX DEMENSIONS!!!!lol holla at me on AIM some time

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 54
I'm just going to let a local shop build the box. I'd be saving a lot of money by doing it myself but I do not have the tools and equipment they have. They build spl comp cars there and they have a few meters they run to set everything up correctly. They said they will tune everything until they can't hit a higher DB, given it doesn't sound like crap. They will do the box for $400 but everything is garanteed for life. Theyll be using 1"mdf, not sure how they will do the bracing. But everytime I mentioned the driver and port being up they'd try to talk me into doing a downfire or rearfire giving the nature of the vehicle. I trust they know what they are doing seeing they do it for a living and have quite a few trophies and cars/trucks at the shop. They'll build it how I was just don't recommend that way. What size Alt do you have Marshall?

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 55
Oh whoops almost forgot. Its a 2001 Silverado Ext Cab. Box is going to be build to fit the full contour of the rear there and slant towards the seat maximizing all the space I've got.

Upload

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1660
i have a 180A alt.

"They build spl comp cars there and they have a few meters they run to set everything up correctly. They said they will tune everything until they can't hit a higher DB, given it doesn't sound like crap."

for a daily setup, i wouldnt tune SX's higher than 35hz...other wise it will be too boomy at higher frequencies and not have much low end. (thats is why interchangable ports kick @$$ :-))

"But everytime I mentioned the driver and port being up they'd try to talk me into doing a downfire or rearfire giving the nature of the vehicle."

really and truly, if they say rear firing a sub in a truck is a good idea...i would walk out of the shop right then! if you rear fire your subs, your just gonna hear ALOT of rattling from the back wall of the truck. Downfiring subs in fullsize truck is ok w/ sealed boxes under the seat...but you run into the rattling problem there too.

Every ext cab truck i have ever seen at comps had subs/port up, subs/ports forward, or full walls. (S10's and rangers had the sub/ports forward...i know a guy that has 2 crossfire 12's in an S10 firing forward w/ 600w each, he does 150dB+...as a matter of fact i think he is #1 in mississippi in Usaci stock 0-300 class)

if they are going to build a box that takes up the whole back cab w/ the front of the box slanted, you can get 10cuft+ easily and stay below the window lines.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1664
http://groups.msn.com/SOUNDCOMPEDITORSUNITED/acidburns10.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&P hotoID=1485

http://groups.msn.com/SOUNDCOMPEDITORSUNITED/teampsychopathicspl.msnw?action=Sho wPhoto&PhotoID=1103

some pics of some other guys trucks...
the box w/ the 6.5's is a good box idea, subs forward ports up would work well.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 56
They were going to double/triple layer sound deadening wherever the box touches so it doesn't rattle. The only reason they recommend it to downfire or rearfire is to give the waves more to bounce off of and allow it to mature. I'm probably going to go back today and talk some more with them. If they like the way this setup turns out they said he will start carrying some RE products. They are about to get zapco amps.. something else but i forgot what it was !

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1667
What shop is this? RE is an awesome brand.

Since you live in Texas, why dont you drop by a USACi comp some time. (usually there are USACi comps all over Texas, i hear about shows in Tyler all the time) I bet you will get to see ALOT of RE, DD, and Atomic subs. (oh...and some of the guys over in Texas are LOUD!)

as a matter of fact, once you get your system installed...you should make a road trip to one of the shows over in Sheveport, La.

oh...and by the way, 2001+ silverados seem to throw sound like crazy and rattle more than earlier models. (ex: you can hear the bass outside of the vehicle...earlier model silverados hold sound in more, its really loud inside but you cant hear it as much out side.)

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 58
Yeah. thats is why they wanted to do a downfire. 15s take longer for the waves to mature. I've changed the design of the box though. Going to round off the inside to compress the air more and in the empty chambers on top add two 8"s for the mids. Their soundwaves will mature quickly and then the 15s will drop it.. Going to go with a stitched leather box. Still havn't decided on two chambers or one. It is just going to run one port. Everything will be tuned to the peak performance. Going to shoot in the inside of the box with sound deadening as well. Apparantly everything we changed today will add around 13db so it should be insanely loud. Never know until it is all said and done though. They really do strongly recommend a downfire though, should I do it given the truck? The main advantages I see in this is more to bend the waves off and I wouldn't hear 'speaker noise'. They garantee the floor won't rattle so if that is not the issue then I don't see why not. Still debating on amps.. Either strpping two RE 12.s 2 Kicker 1200.1 or just getting a kicker 2400.1. I'll be getting a seperate amp to run the 8"s and components as well. I'm still undecided on the components. I was thinking either Perfect 6.1s or some Diamonds. We should get over 150dB, hell they garanteed me they could get a Vega Stroker 15" in the low 150s in my truck with the box they will be building. Either way its going to be hella loud :D. Oh btw this shop is called Audio Plus on 1008 Woodrow Lane, Denton Texas 76205. They feature kenwood, alpine, diamond audio, planet audio, autopage, cerwin vega and some other major brands.. soon to include zapco amps :D. All their install is garantee for life and anything bought and installed for them for 5 years even if the factory warranty is out.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1675
did that shop tell you that "15s take longer for the waves to mature"? because that is not true.

any of your amp choices would be good choices.

are you talking about having 8" mids in the same chamber as the 15's? (not a good thing)

as for the downfire box, whatever floats your boat man...but i still say port up and the subs either up or forward.

as soon as you get it installed...post some SPL #'s.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 59
Nah the 8s would be in the same box but not the same chamber. Going to round the inside creating a space between the curve and the main box .. thats where the 8s would go. It will be a while before it is done because I have to wait for the group buy. Btw I tried calling the comp number from the site to ask them some specs and it was disconneted? Hope its back up by the time to order..

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 61
Bump for marsh :D .. btw what do you recommend for the 8"s.. Still trying to decide on components too. I might go buy some components a hu and amp tomorrow.. while im at it sound deaden my truck. It is either Perfect 6.1s or Diamond .. maybe D3s? Infinity puts out a lot higher RMS but the Diamonds are made a little better. Recommendations?!

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1679
I never get to hear much Diamond stuff, but what few Diamond components i have heard sounded good. I would still go w/ the Perfect 6.1's just because i have heard them more and know more what they sound like. (you may wanna look at CDT components though.)

i really wouldnt mix 8" subs w/ 15" subs. (even in separate air space)...the 15's would overpower the 8's...but you may wanna try some 8" or 6" midwoofers. as a matter of fact, some nice 6x9's might fill your midbass needs.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 62
well i was going to get the 8s .. running off a seperate amp it'd control the hz range .. just ajust it to what the 15s wouldn't do.. i guess ill just stick with the perfects.. should be plenty loud getting 200RMS. only thing i like about the d3s is they only require 60rms so i'd save on amps. bad enough ive gotta spend quite a bit on a new alt. has to be hella big. prolly be running two yellow tops as well. should be somewhere around 3000RMS playing in that damned truck lol. actually more than that if i get the kappas and some 8-6 mids.. more around the lines or 3200rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us