What size wires? bass goin in and out

Username: Xstokes88

Tacoma, Washington United states

Post Number: 9
so i have 2 12" pioneer dvc 400wrms subs with a 3000w mono block legacy amp.. i kno not the best amp but it was 50 bucks.. but my question was the bass keeps going in and out when the bass hits hard.. i was wondering if it was because of the guage wires or the ground wires or if its just my amp.. i have 10g wires. what size wires should i go with with this setup?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 591
yeah, you should upgrade thoes wires. go with 4 or bigger if you want to plan for upgrades. for a true 3000 watts, i don't think 1/0 would even be big enough, but that amp isn't pushing out 3000 watts.
www.the12volt.com has a chart i think

Post Number: 10
whats the difference between them besides the obvious size? more power bein able to travel through them or wut?

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 458
Xavier, the resistance of a small wire is much greater than a large wire, yes. You can actually measure this if you have a multimeter. Get a long distance of 18 gauge wire, and test both ends. (First, you might want to touch the tips together, the reading should be .2 ohms or less) Then try the same with 0 gauge wire. You'll notice there is much less resistance from a 0 gauge wire.

The larger, and shorter the wire is, the more power that can travel through it. The longer the wire is, the higher the resistance.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanx for the info. ive been looking at 0/1 guage wire and thats a little expensive.. anybody kno where to go to get good and cheap wires?

Silver Member

Post Number: 459
Also, about the bass.. Is it just getting quieter, or completely cutting out? You might be pushing your amp too hard, is your gain set correctly?

Also, have you upgraded your electrical system? Even a 1000 watt amp, (Mono class D), draws around 90 amps from your alternator.. So it might be that you're electrical system is simply unable to provide enough for your setup.

Also, is your amp in a well ventillated area? More info is needed about the problem really...

Mainly, does the bass totally cut out? Or just get quiet. And does it do it constantly? I.E. as soon as you turn it on? Or does it start after a few minutes? When you say cut out, also, do you mean like rapidly? Like it's skipping almost? Or do you mean cuts out for a period longer than a few seconds, then comes back on after awhile?

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
www.knukonceptz.com carries good power wire.. under $2.00 a foot for some of it. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
like itll b about to hit a hard bass note and it will just cut out for a few seconds and then it will cut back on.. i have the amp on the back of my box.. i guess its not that well ventalated.. and thanx for the link to the wires>..

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
Hmm..really wierd, it's pre-emptive?? As in, the bass cuts out, right before it hits really hard? then comes on a few seconds afterwards? Also, do your highs cut in and out too? Or do they remain constant?

seth

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 803
If it cuts out and remains out for a few seconds, it seems like the problem is most likely your alternator can't keep up.

Username: Chillyphil

Post Number: 6
10ga for 3000w? eek!

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 294
and is that amp 1ohm stable? sounds like it may be wired to that ohm load

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 301
Hmmm , Legacy is Extremely over rated i had a few a while back from when Car Audio Plus Closed down an since i worked there i bought lots of stuff at very low prices an among those things were a few Legacy Amps, an i gave a stereo to my sister an installed it an she wanted an amp as well for her 15 inch Lanzar but since she didnt want to spend any money i just gave her a Legacy LA3090 an told her to pay me 60 bucks when she got it ( which she has still not paid me ) but then i told her she needed atleast an 8 gauge kit so she went an got a kit but the one she got was wal marts cheapest which is a 10 gauge kits with a 25 watt fuse but since she wanted to be cheap i went ahead an used that kit instead of sending her to get the right one but that kit did fine an is still doing fine so i dont think the wire is were your problem is at

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 302
I forgot to say that the Legacy LA3090D is rated for 3000 watts max power an 800RMS at 2 ohms an i wired the Lanzar for Two ohms Operation

Anonymous

dude, wire gauge aside, you should get a 0.5-1.0 fared capacitor. your amp may be drawing too much power and killing your battery (especially for those deep bass hits), i.e. your headlights will dim. get a cap and that should help fix the problem.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1019
i bet the subs are wired wrong, you can not get a 2ohm load with dual 4 subs.. the ohm load is to much...

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 325
I would suggest the $25 kit at Wal-mart.

That amp should run OK with that kit and the subs wired like this...

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Do not get a capacitor to save the life of your battery, this move will just put further drain on your alternator, and kill the battery faster.

Figures someone anon posted a remark like that.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 330
no kiddin Seth --

"Wire gauge aside...get a cap..."

there are few phrases that go together worse than those 2
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us