BEST box Desgin

Username: Dooton

Post Number: 7
I need to know what the best box would be a ported or sealed or something else i need something that is really loud and clear

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1889
Sealed

Advantages:
Easy to build, smaller enclosure size, lean tight sounding bass, better power handling vs. ported design and Linear low bass extension.

Disadvantage:
Less efficient as compared to ported design.

Overall
The box internal volume should be as close as possible to the recommended by the manufacturer. If a box is smaller than what it is supposed to be, the sound will be tighter, but more amplifier power will be required. If the box is too big, then the sound will be muddy.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1891
Ported

Advantages:
More output at the tuning frequency as compared to the same woofer in a sealed enclosure, higher efficiency.

Disadvantage:
Larger enclosure size, Calculating enclosure and port dimensions more difficult,easy to blow woofer if power handling limit is exceeded.

Overall
The box itself acts as an amplifier, yielding to more bass than a sealed enclosure (3 to 4 dB). Ported boxes do not have a linear frequency response. If the box is not built according to specifications, it will not sound good. The box design acts as a filter, cutting off lower frequencies.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1892
Before deciding on a particular type of enclosure to use, you must first determine the amount of space you have available. This is a very important step to ensure you have the appropriate volume needed to provide proper performance of the subwoofer. For example, if you wish to build an enclosure for a 15" and you only have one cubic foot space available, it would be better to use a 10" because the volume is not large enough to allow the 15" to perform properly. The small enclosure would restrict the performance of the 15" not allowing it properly reproduce low frequencies.

Post Number: 8
my trunk can hold 41x17 inch box i have two JBl loud and clear subs 12". do you think you could calculate the dimensions i would need for a ported box

Post Number: 9
or would should i buy a premade box so it will sound beter

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1898
need the depth as well

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1899