Settings for Subwoofers

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
i have 2 12" L5s in a ported box with a 1605d Hifonics amp wired at 2 ohms to get 1100 rms. I wanted to know what i should set the amp to. The bass boost, subsonic filter, phase, etc. Also the headunit how much bass should i set on the headunit.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4234
what is your box tuned to? phase is all preference to match your mids and highs, whichever sounds better to you is where you set it. Bass boost should be kept to a minimum all it will do is overdrive your amp into clipping. Same thing with the bass boost on the deck it should be used sparingly.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 716
Tweaking Your Bass
By AdireRulesForever

Here is a tweaking process for getting the most from your subs and amp. Additional boom from the sub(s) is/are our main goal here, so will focus mainly upon that. Here we go:

Get out a few of your favorite CD's. Something with good mix and some low thump content. Dial back on the sub amp gain so there is very little sub in the mix. Turn off any bass boost features in the amp for now. May need a little later, but for now, no bass boost for now. Let's get to work 'cause BABY, it's cold outside!

Set the EQ functions on HU to "0" or "flat" (no cuts, no boost)
Pop in the CD/tape/MP3 and select your favorite cut(s) and repeat.
Turn up the HU volume knob until you hear some distortions from the interior stage speakers.
Back off on the volume until distortions are gone. Is best to get out of the car and listen with doors open from a few feet away. If you still hear a rough sound, back off on the volume a bit more.
Now, time to add the sub into the mix. If amp has a low Pass filter, set it in a range between 70-120 Hz. No bass boost just yet. If you have continuously variable LPF, determine what sounds best in your ears, within the range noted.
Bring up the gain on the sub amp, until you get it thumping and hear a "little" distortion.
Back off on the sub gain (a wee bit) until it sound full, deep and clean.
If bass seems a bit lacking of punch or deep lows, a small amount of Bass Boost, can be added. (+3 to +6dB is all you should ever need here)
Again, if you hear the sub getting rough from distortion, back off on the gain a bit more.
Now, you may use the Bass Tone control on the HU to adjust your bass from the driver's seat. This works well in simple HU's. But if you have a menu driven EQ system, this is a bit more cumbersome.

That's about it and now time for a test drive to ensure you have the system well balanced and in control. However, if you still have poor bass performance or weak bass output. May try reverse the wires to the sub and see if that improves the overall affect. If it gets better, you're good to go. If it seems worse, return the sub wires to original orientation.

Finally, if you have done all these steps correctly, and the bass is still not getting much bump or louder, and your gains are maxed out, you may have to go back to the LOC's and adjust them, in conjunction with the sub amp gains.

The LOC's trim pots, act like water mixing valves. Turing them in one direction, will feed more input voltage to the sub amp. Going the other direction on the pots, will reduce your sub output power. This optimizing process, should get your sub(s) up to par with the rest of your system. If not, something is off kilter here and needs more attention. Happy thumping!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4235
damn chad you showed me up! lol

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 717
lol. i just picked that up from realmofexcursion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us