Cap question

Bronze Member
Username: Timmygcsc2308

Post Number: 12
I have just got a 3farad cap. I was under the impression they should be wired in series to the amp, so if you like intercepting the power from the battery and delivering it to the amp.
But in the instruction manual they say it should be wired in parallel using a distribution block, so the cap will take over if there is a dip in power..is that the correct way to do it?

Also..they have included a resistor but make no mention in the instructions as to what this is for. I read somewhere about charging the cap using a resistor to start with until it gets to 12v but the manual just says plug it in and it will charge from the batt.

A little help pleaseeeeeeee

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 633
Yea you have to charge it with a resistor, if you directly attach the battery to it when it's empty, it will make a big spark.

Bronze Member
Username: Timmygcsc2308

Post Number: 13
ok cheers

How do I actually do that though? (charge it with a resistor) Sorry for the stupid questions
And what about the wiring? Could someone explain the basic wire layout? I just read a good guide from a link on another thread and that explains it quite well but I just want to be sure

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 634
Honestly I've never done it myself, I just know the basics of it. I'm pretty sure you hook up the ground wire, then attach the resistor to the positive terminal of the cap and then the power wire to the other side of the resistor, but don't quote me on that. Can you post that link you found?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2844
www.bcae1.com

has all your answers & then some ....

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 220
Keep in mind when you put the resistor between your cap positive post and the battery cable, it's going to get EXTREMELY hot. I would recommend you put the cap under your hood between your alternator and your battery, while you're under there upgrade your ground strap to the body sheet metal, and the power wire from the alternator to the bat.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us