High Powered Alt & Car problems

Anonymous

Ok, i've decided (with the help of the many posts to glasswolf) to buy a new alternator. but i read up on em and putting a new one in your car can put a strain on your cars engine. Could anyone please tell me if i would have to worry bout that with my 1989 honda civic. Any help would be appreciated.
and if anyone knows where i can get hp alternators at a REASONABLE price you would be appreciated. thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2250
it doesn't put that much stress on the engine.
its a bit more drag on the belt.. not anywhere near as much as turning on your A/C though, which does the same thing regarding engine drag.
I had a 150A alternator on my '88 Festiva, which had something like 86HP, and I never felt a bit of difference. Don't sweat that.

I've seen loads of "new" 200A honda civic/accord alternators on eBay for like $150 if I recall.
pretty cheap.

you can also try:
www.mralternator.com
www.4alterstart.com
www.alternatorparts.com
www.nexxon.com
or talk to a local starter & alternator shop about it. sometimes you'll get a great deal from them.

Anonymous

glasswolf, do u need to just get an alternator, or do u need to get a voltage regulator? and what exactly is a voltage regulator? thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2311
depends on the car.
some alternators use an internal (built in) onboard regulator, and others use a separate, external unit. When you get the new alternator, they should be able to tell you if the regularot is needed. It shouldn't be much difference either way.

an alternator (as the name implies) produces AC voltage (which isn't too useful to a car.)
the regulator rectifies that AC into DC, and allows adjustment to the proper voltage desired.
In the case of we audio nuts, usually about 14.4VDC.
remember, the alternator will need to be grounded and given a positive cable to the battery in equal size to what you run for the amps etc from the battery itself.
that means 4AWG or 1/0AWG for the alternator too..
after all, it is the source of the juice.

Bronze Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 14
I would thinks that a alternator that doesnt put out enough power would put more strain on the engine than an alternator that puts out enough.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2343
puts more strain on the entire car's electrical system for sure.
an overworked alternator also causes things like misfiring plugs, and computer malfunctions.

Likwid
Unregistered guest
Would the increased ampage of a high-output alt cause overloads not only with the computers and ignition but also items such as lighting, etc

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2462
no. voltage is still the same, and a product of the voltage regulator.
the alternator's output rating is the maximum amount of current it CAN supply if needed. current is a variable factor based on resistance and voltage.
Think of current like horsepower.
the mroe you have, the better off you are, but just because you have more, that doesn't mean you use it 100% of the time.. it's just there when you do need or want it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us