2006 Ford Factory Navigation

Username: Fastcarguy

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,
I just purchased and installed a 2006 Ford Explorer Factory Navigation unit into my 2005 Ford F150 Pickup. Does anyone have a diagram of the pin configuration for this unit. The Ford part number is: 6G1t-18k931-AD. It is made by pioneer and is similar in looks and operation as the Pioneer AVIC-D1. Everything works great except the map does not move. I have traced this problem down to the Speed Pulse Signal. I know what wire it is on the Ford Wiring harness but I'm not sure which pin it connects to on the back of my navigation unit. The back of the navigation unit has 3 plugs and is exactly the same as the new in dash 6 CD audiophile radios.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fastcarguy

Username: Dsturner

Did you ever have any luck finding the location of the speed sensor pin on the 2006 Ford Factory Navigation radio. I am having the same problem.

Username: Stangray

Post Number: 2
Here is your fix. The radio needs to be re-programmed for your vehicle. Contact Dominic at ARC 781-721-0092 Cost is $100 Tell them Stan sent you.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 4324
Just curious, how did you obtain the new unit (as old as this thread is)? I would have preferred to just buy the Pioneer model and completely bypass the ford logo unless the designated ford model was cheaper of course.

Post Number: 3
I purchased off ebay. Unit, dvd and antenna was approx. $600.00 They can reprogram the radio to match the pinout for the specific ford vehicle.

So for me, it was cheaper than the Pioneer D1 and is pretty close to the same thing.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4338
Wow, not bad at all, then. Who services it if it dies? Do you send it to Ford who then in turn sends it to Pioneer? Or directly to Pioneer?

Post Number: 4
Ford has repair centers in most large cities. ARC who is doing the re-programming can also repair units..

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 4360
Interesting :-) Thanks for the info.

Username: Berg

Stratford, CT

Does this unit have a video input for a back up cam?

Post Number: 5
There is no factory input for a cam. They do make an interface box that plugs between the harness and the radio. Do a google search for factory ford radio camera.

Username: Mpullia

I just got a unit out of a mecury for my licolin mark lt . does the controls on the steering wheel work and how did your antena hook up also the map does not move with me so i will need a reprogram. do they do that in the car or do you have to send the unit out to them at arc. any help would be great
mike

Post Number: 6
Yes, my steering wheel controls work.
They make an antenna adapter. I got mine at Circuit City. It takes the one for Chrysler vehicles. Cost is approx $12.00.
The reason the map does not move is because the speed sensor information is on a different pin in your Lincoln than it was in the Mercury. Domonic at ARC can reprogram your radio to work.
He will need your truck year, if it has a DVD player, and if it has the audiophile option (sub)

He can also change the logo on startup from Mercury to Lincoln.

Stan

Username: Mpullia

stan thanks for the info can they program over the phone or ? Mike

Post Number: 7
Sorry i missed that part of your question.
No, you would have to mail them the unit, unless you live in the Boston area.
It takes about a week to get it back.

Username: Beartrapper

Rural Hall, NC United States

Anyone know if a factory navigation system out of a 2005 expedition will fit a 2004 expedition. It was took out at the dealer & replaced with a eclipse. It is new, never been used.Can get it for about 400.00. No wireing or antenna. Can i get the wireing & antenna anywhere?

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 926
i have a built in navigation too.. its my brain

Username: Richards212

will that same unit work in my 05 explorer? It has the double din radio.

Username: Mr_ford

I have a 2006 mustang and I have installed a 2007 mountaineer nav radio. It was programed for me by ford dealer and everything is working fine however I have a speed error fault code U2473. The only issue I am having as a result of this code is that my position on the display is always 100 feet late. I have tried recalibrating position but it just returns shorthly to the late position. I have contacted dominic at ARC and he is looking into it. Does anyone have any cure or remedys that would help clear this code.

Username: Cc1999

Has anyone ever tried puting the factory nav radio for the 2006 F150 in a 2006 F250. I know there size and shape is identical, and the mounting points are all that is different, so i am told anyway. I mainly concerned about the mounting points and will the steering wheel controls work.

Username: 06vistabluegt

West jordan, Utah Usa

just purchased and installed a 2007 Ford Factory Navigation unit into my 2007 Ford F150 Pickup but i cant get the steering wheel controls to work everything else works but the volume control and the seek control and they said that it was programmed for steering wheel controls anyone know what might be up ??

Post Number: 8
Cindy,

The steering wheel controls is vehicle specific. I would guess that the radio you have came out of a vehicle that did not having steering wheel control.
It can be fixed, but it will require you to send it to Dominic to be re-programmed.

West jordan, Utah Usa

Thank you

Username: Witomskitom

hello everyone
I just purchased a 2006 ford navigation (from mercury) and installed into my 2007 f 150
-I dont know where I should install gps antena
( inside dash or on roof)
-i dont know where i can reprogramed this unit in chicago area ( change logo , set gps map, time, date)
-also i dont know where i can finded user manual for 2006 ford navigation
THANKS
TOM

West jordan, Utah Usa

you put it inside the dash somewhere where it will clip on and not rattle
check on ebay for a manual

Username: Lewpoberezny

Call Chicago parts and sound. 630-350-1500 Ask for Ray. I paid 100.00 for reprogramming. I suggest you take vehicle with you. That is where I had mine done.

Username: Schimshack

I bought a ford navagation radio out of a 2004 to put in my 2006 expedition but the plugs do not match is a harness avable for this.

Username: Jayguy

I've got a co-worker who saw my factory nav in my '07 Mustang and he's wondering if it'll work in his '04 Ranger. Looks like a double-din unit will fit, the big question is programming and the connectors, will he need adapters?

Username: Docm

Can a ford dealership reprogram a navigation unit or do I need to send it to someone like Dominic above. Also, the nav. system (2007 navigator) I bought didn't come with a disk. Will any of the new FLM disks work in it or does it have to be specific for my vehicle? Thanks

A Ford dealership SHOULD be able to re-program it. I'd call and ask their service department about it.

The nav disks are not vehicle specific, you can just buy the latest version and install it into your system. I don't know if there's a newer version out yet, the latest I have seen is 4P.

This is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-NAVTEQ-Navigation-DVD-NIP-RE L-4P_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38653QQihZ016QQitemZ260127508017QQrdZ1QQsspagena meZWDVW

Username: Esim1983

New Iberia, Louisiana U.S.

Last week I purchased a 2007 Ford Navigation System for my F-150, it is a 2007 also. I connected everything to the back of it except for a pink connection that was on the unit, yet I had nothing to connect to it. Everything is working; steering wheel controls, Sirius sat radio, CD player, and radio. The only thing that is wrong is that my GPS is not working correctly. When I put in a POI my starting point is from Michigan. Could someone give me some advice please? I'm thinking that the pink connection on the back of the unit is for a GPS antenna, when I'm traveling the screen shows me roads that I have never scene before. The dealership that I bought the truck from told me that my truck is Navigation Ready, they say I shouldn't have to do anything. Also I can access the DVD player but can't put one in, what's up with that? Also my Date/Time settings won't let me change them either. If the problem is an antenna where should I go about getting one? Any help is much appreciated!!! Thanks, Elliot

Post Number: 9
Elliot,

That connector is for a gps antenna. I purchased mine from a local Mercury dealer. I think I paid around $30.00. The antenna is very small. I wire tied mine to the cable loom, right under the pad in the middle of the dash.

If you are refering to the DVD player in the unit, that is for navigation only. If you are seeing maps on the screen, it sounds like there is one in there already.

Date and time settings come from the GPS. Install your antenna, and that will correct that problem.

Username: Esim1983

New Iberia, Louisiana U.S.

The person I bought my navigation system from says that it has Bluetooth capabilities but he or I do not know how to set it up. Does anyone know how to use this function? Thanks again, Elliot

Username: Brettb

Kent City, Michigan

I recently bought a ford navigation system. And found that if I push the mute button twice that a hands free phone interface comes up. If I install the ford mobile-ease kit will this enable me to use this feature. As I currently am not able to do.
Thank you if anyone can help.

Username: Wmckay

Fayetteville, NC US

First of all, the 2005 F150, coes not have MS-Can to communicate with your naviagation radio, so no matter what you do, It will not work on a 2005 F150, you can get them to work real good on the 2006, but not the 2005. If you want to sell the nav Radio, I'll take it off your hands. How to test your nav radio for compatibility -- with your can on and in park, press down on present 3 and 6 at the same time and you will access the software settings, also it will give you the codes and tell you this readi will not work in your truck. Fir more info wmckay@nc.rr.com

Post Number: 10
William,

I am not sure who your comment is directed at, but since I have a 2005 F-150 I will respond.

I have a working Ford factory navigation system in my 2005 F-150. I do not know where your information is comming from, but I can assure you my system has been running great for 9 months.

Stan

Username: Johnpw

Hello everyone,

I got my self a 2008 ford mustang with a factory installed navigation system and since I will be moving to Europe in a few months I have been trying to locate a "European Disc" compatible with my unit. Haven't done much yet, Ford tells me that they don't have a "European disc" and NAVTEQ hasn't send me a response yet...

Username: Jetmech7065

Seattle, Wa Usa

Help I justt got a 2006 lincon nav system P/N 6H6T-18K931-AP (AVIC-1557ZFS3 /XHUC) for my 07 mustang. When I installed the NAV unit I got power could change radio stations and play cds but I cant turn up or down the volume but the valume indicator moves up and dwn on thee screen when I move the volume control I get sound but its to damm loud also I can't set the time/date and the gps don't show me in my state it shows me in MI on the American Road ?? any help would be great thanks }

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 9
Yes, I have, call me @ 910-864-0646

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 10
It's a 2008 Nav Radio, there is a moudule you have tobuy from the ford dealer

Username: Johnpw

Hi William, is you post a reply to my post or to Jonathan's post?

---John---

Username: Jb_brown

Have an 2007 Lincoln MKZ and want to install navigation from a 2006 Zepher. The screen is very scratched. Can screen be replaced, anyone know who could do this and approximate costs?

Username: Jstrazz

just saw this post and have a couple of questions. I picked up a factory nav. unit from an 07 expediton for my 07 f150 as a little present for myself. When I plug it in it will power up and display the ford symbol then shut down. do you guys think this could be a programing issue or is the radio doa . thanks guys Jay

Bronze Member

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 12
Sir, You need a 7L3T-18K93, the radio you have is 7L1T, will not work because of the power on configiration. It much easier to get the right one.

that bites. thank you for the fast reply. is there any way of rewiring it to get it to work.if not it should work in my wifes 05 expedition. thanks again Jason

I just looked at the radio it's a 8L1T-18K93. can this be reprogramed to work. thanks guys Jay

Bronze Member

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 13
Sir, the radio has two 12 volt input, one is continous and the other comes on with the acc. In some F150's, there is a relay in the power line to the radio --- when the processor recognize that the radio is not the right one, the relay cuts the radio off. I sent a radio to the ford service center and had it reprogrammed for an F150 and it never worked. The F150 still has old technology. You need to get the one made for you vehicle and move on! If you want to sell yours, I'll take it off your hand.

I live not to far from ARC they took care of it. they reprogramed the radio and all works great.

Does anyone know if you have to take the dash out of a 2004 expedition to install a factory navigation sysyem?

Bronze Member

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 14
No, just remove your radio. Then there is a special dash plate for the Nav Radio in a 2004 Expedition to make it fit. You must must get the plate from the Ford dealer or the Salvage Yard.

Thanks for the info William, but a don't think i can remove the radio because of the woodgrain dash kit that i installed. See no way of getting it out . Don't want to remove the dash. Guess i will stick with the Garmin 650 that i have.

Username: Jamjr3

I also have an f-150 with the audiophile and have the same problem as jstrazz did, it turns on and then turns off right away. The number on my nav unit is 8F9T-18K931-FA. Any recommendations. I live near Chicago.

Username: Lewpoberezny

Contact Ray @ Chicago Parts and Sound 630-350-1500 I pd 100.00 to have it programmed to work in a 2004 F150. I drove there from Milwaukee

Username: Swfrx

I have a 2006 F-150. How can I find out which factory navigation units will work?

thanks

Username: Jamjr3

My truck is a job2 2007 f-150. Lew does the price include a gps antenna?

Username: Ljjmiller

We just received a unit we bought on Ebay for our 2007 Ford Edge. The model number matches the Edge's model exactly. The radio functions work fine and so do all of the buttons. However, the dvd will not open and when we try to load a cd into the changer, it says that it is full. So when we try to eject, it tries but nothing happens and it gives a cd error message. We hear it making the noises like it is trying to work. Any thoughts?

The seller sent us pictures of it with the dvd being loaded the day he mailed it so I am wondering if it was broken in transit or if we are doing something wrong.

One other question, there are three plugs in the back but we only have two from our previous unit (not including the gps antenna). Anyone know what the third plug is for? Are we missing something?

Any help is appreciated.

Username: Ljjmiller

Never mind. We found the third plug and that seems to have fixed the problem. :-)

Username: Rdt

I just bought an 08 ford nav unit and installed it in my 07 f150. A couple of questions. The new nav has 3 jacks in back (not counting antenna and gps). What's the third one by the antenna? Also, my nav unit turns on for about 4 seconds and then just powers off. Thanks in advance.
Rich

Username: Data174

I just installed the ford navigation radio in my 2006 mustang gt.It was programed from the seller for the mustang.However gps and the map are not in sync. anybody having the same problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Al, Do you have the GPS antenna hooked up? If so, does your factory radio have the speed compensated volume? If not, that could be the problem. Even though your radio is programmed for a mustang, you may not be getting a speed sensor pulse from the car.

Hi Stan
The gps antenna is hooked up and the radio removed was a shaher 500 system that had the speed compensated program.
The sellers is going to send me a new gps antenna.

What exactly do you mean by "not in sync"?

There will be a difference of about 100ft or so because you don't have a good speed sensor signal to the GPS system. Unfortunately there is no guaranteed fix for this.

I know one person has been able to get it fixed by getting a newer gauge cluster (where the speed signal originates from). He got a cluster with a build date newer than Jan '07 and says his nav now works perfectly. Others have tried this and still get the error screen every time they start the car and go to the map that says there is a problem. If you look at the codes it should tell you it's a speed sensor error. Apparently there is no way to reprogram the nav system to fix this.

Read through this thread for more information on this problem.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=450875&highlight=installing+factory+nav

Username: Rdt

Al, I don't think your antenna is the problem. I had the same thing happen to mine. It's actually a common problem I found out on the F150's and mustangs. Drop me an email at rdtrinkle@heartofiowa.net and I'll help you troubleshoot it.

Username: Paulisantangelo

Hey All, Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but for the moment I can find no other place.

Does anyone know if the nav system in the 2008 ford escape is the Pioneer D1, or if it is a 2 piece unit?

I would like to add a backup camera to it, but I am finding conflicting information and I'd like to do this on the first shot.

Thanks
-paul

Paul
The factory nav radio is made by Pioneer for Ford. It is a one piece unit.I have seen adapters available on the net to install a back camera.

Hi There:

Thanks for writing back, would you know the model number of the unit?

Thanks so much for the help!

Hi Paul
Are you asking for the model number for the ford navigation unit ?
If you need the exact model number for your escape, call radios and more at 1-877-888-2225. Hope this helps.

Al

Paul,
If you're wondering if the Ford nav unit is an exact duplicate of the commercial Pioneer models, they're not. I'm sure they're based on a model from Pioneer, but changed according to what Ford determined they wanted to offer, and of course the faceplate (dials, buttons, etc) is unique to Ford.

I see a couple of you have figured out what I'm attempting.

I mean Since you have this great screen right there in the dash, why is there no back up camera?

So, I am attepting to figure out if I can put a camera on the system. So far I havn't had much luck in finding a way to do it. I think that I'll have to pull the radio out to see excatly what connections are on the back and just see what I can come up with as far as an interface.

Paul
If you get a chance go to web site tvandnav2go.com. The only problem is it requires secondary dvd player.

Al

Username: Stech20

Hello, I have an 08' milan and was wondering if the silver '06 zeypher unit will work in it? Will I need to have it reprogrammed?

Bronze Member

Fayetteville, NC US

Post Number: 15
Hello Sir:

What is the Ford product number on the nav radio?

6h6t-18k931-aj, that is the number on top

thank you

Did I give the right number?

Username: Jcamacho97

No, just remove your radio. Then there is a special dash plate for the Nav Radio in a 2004 Expedition to make it fit. You must must get the plate from the Ford dealer or the Salvage Yard.

All you need is a new bezel because the Nav unit is about 1/2 inch bigger.

Post Number: 6
Wmckay
Hi William
Has their been any new progress on the configuration errors on the Navigation units.

Thanks Al

Username: Gjackson

I have a 2005 expedition with a cd based navigation system, the gps and radio work great, but i have lost the screen is there anyplace you can get another screen?

thanks
gjackson

Hello I asked a question months ago does the unit from an 06 zephyer 6h6t-18k931-aj work with a sirius connect? Can it work in a 08 milan?

Username: Greenasp

I pulled the factory Navigation from my wife's 2007 expedition and tried to put it in my 2008 f150. Everything seems to plug in ok, but I can not get power to the new unit. Any ideas?

Username: Carl357

FORT WORTH, TEXAS USA

Will a 9L1T-18K931 work in my 2008 king ranch expedition? It came out of a E 350 van.

Username: Peterfriesen

Richmond, BC Canada

Does anyone know if I can install a factory nav 7L1T-18K931-AF into a 2005 f 350 lariat?

Username: Gnt81

Hello all,
I just installed a ford navi in my 2006 mountaineer all works great except that I would like the Mercury Logo on start up...I know that you can send out the unit to be programmed but does anyone have someone in NYC area that can reprogram the logo? I would like to not take the unit out of the car if possile.

Username: Toddlyon

I am looking for a knob for the toggle switch on a 2006 ford escape navigation system. Any sugestions?
Thanks,
Todd

Username: Mac202

i have 06 ford f150 with pioneer nav system thats been program but on my location the nav shows my position incorrectly by about 1/4 mile form the address.

can anyone help me
thanks

Username: Snwbordr_69

I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EB XL with navi, only DVD is for Northern America. Does anyone know where I can get a DVD of Europe? I'm stationed overseas and it would be nice to be able to use my navigation system here.

Thank you,
Bryce

Username: B_peters

Hello,
I'm looking for some information on how to bypass the lockout features on the factory navigation unit in my 2006 Mercury Mountaineer so that I'm able to use the them while moving. I don't have the model number of the unit but it's a pioneer unit.
Thanks,
Brian

Username: Bribull

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer). It came with the factory 6 disc (in dash) unit, premium sound (sub woofer), and a rear entertainment system (DVD).

I am upgrading the radio to a Ford OEM Navigation unit. I have assembled the wiring harness for power to the unit and sound to all speakers. After I finally got inside the dash, I discovered that my truck has 2 additional wiring harnesses I was not aware of. And of course they don't fit into my new NAV unit. I have included a picture of the back of my new NAV unit, as well as pictures of the 2 wiring harness coming out from my truck.

Does anyone know what harnesses I need to complete this install? And where to get them?

I also need a 3 foot cable to go between the NAV unit and my 6 disc CD changer that is now mounted inside the center console.

Many thanks to anyone can help!

Username: Solutionsearcher

I have a nav system from a 06 f250. That wasn't the original vehicle it came out of. I now have it in my 08 Mustang GT, but my 7P nav disc I bought is reading as invalid. I thought the the newer version would not have any problems. Is there a specific nav disc version I should be looking for for this unit?

Username: Solutionsearcher

I have a nav system from a 06 f250. That wasn't the original vehicle it came out of. I now have it in my 08 Mustang GT, but my 7P nav disc I bought is reading as invalid. I thought the the newer version would not have any problems. Is there a specific nav disc version I should be looking for for this unit?

Username: Joyceshang

Well, I think the entertainment gps navigation should be best, such as dvd gps navigation on the page http://www.dvdgpsnavigation.com/ford-mondeo-navigation-radio-62-hd-touch-screen- bluetooth-a2dp-ipod-notebook-file-browser-game-cdc_p683.html. the unit have radio+dvd player+ Bluetooth A2DP + ipod + Notebook + File browser + Game + CDC, that's be fun when travel

Username: Xerazmo

Hi,
My Radio is a 7L1T-18K931-BF Nav System Radio Ford OEM, it has the same problem, it turns Ford Logo on, checks disc then shuts off... Im tryin to install it on my F-150 2006, any Idea who might reprogram this radios in Texas, around the Rio Grande Valley?
Any Help is REALLY appreciated!
Thanks!

Username: Nfields51

I just love how any Ford F-150 repair is done. I think all you got to do is The have the radio re-programmed for your vehicle. After that everything will be ok. Good luck.

Username: Grump73

Today I purchased a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer Navigation System for my 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. I connected everything to the back of it even the pink connection that was on the unit. Everything is working; steering wheel controls, CD player, and radio. The only thing that is wrong is that my GPS is not working correctly. There is a (GPS) symbol on the screen but it has a red line through it. What does that mean? When I put in a POI my starting point is from Michigan, So When I'm traveling the screen shows me all over the place on michigen roads. It also will not let me set the date/time. The dealership that I bought the truck from told me that my truck is Navigation Ready, they said I shouldn't have to do anything but add the gps antenna that plugs into the pink plug in the back of the radio and then mount the antenna so that it would work. I did that and the gps is not working correctly. Any help is much appreciated!!! THANKS, ROB

Username: Joyceshang

It's better for you to read the GPS map instructions for details. I guess that you miss something when you run the navigation

Username: Rumendoc

I just purchased a 2006 KR expedition with a navigation system with the 12 cd system. When I purchased the expedition the navigation system was in French, but we did not have the cd's, so we ordered them from navtec, it worked for a little while, sometimes. Now what the system does is the clock does not set itself when you turn on the key. and then the system will be off 20 to 30 miles either west or east not even on the road that I'm on. Can anyone tell me what's happening and what solutions there might be. Thanks Charles

Username: Msquires2

I just bought a ford navigation radio from a 2008
and had it installed in my 2005 f150.
The screen is only refreshing every couple of minutes.
The map and compass turn but where my car is only
changes once in awhlie. Any ideas?

Username: Mark2005f150

Houston, Texas United States

HELP

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat with a factory Audiophile system. Can anyone suggest a DVD / Navigation / CD / Ipod unit to replace my existing unit? I want a ford OEM to do this job. Is there a specific model number from ford that would work? Where can I get this? I am thinking a dealer but I know they would over charge... I live in Houston, if anyone can help.

Username: Jerryreynolds

Mark......did anyone ever answer you about what units will fit your 2005 Ford ? I have the same year Expedition that Im trying to 'improve' after the 4th exchange replacement from Ford. Direct mail is jemco at localnet dot com.

Jerry

Username: Alex_cruz

Hi I want to buy a factory pioneer gps from 2008 Mercury mountain for my 2007 ford explorer. My truck doesn't have factory amp and only have 2 plug for the stereo.
Dose this unit work on my truck with out factory amp?

Username: Ramilop

compre un radio de navegaci�n de una expedition 2007 8l1t-16k931-ca la cual quiero adaptar a una f150 2006 como podria adaptarlo ? porque se apaga como a los 4 seg de encenderse
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us