Which way should sub be facing

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
I usually position my sub to face the back of the seat cause it seems to sound louder in the cabin facing that way, but I just moved things around my trunk and mounted my amp on the back of the seat.

Is it gonna hurt my amp if I leave the sub directly facing the amp and the seat?? All I got is a 350RMS Kappa Perfect sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 23
Normally it sounds better when the magnet is facing you, in other words the speaker are facing outwards. This gives the soundwaves more objects to reflect off and mature. Just my opinion for a car situation.

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 638
its not going to hurt it but it wouldn't sound good either.

Username: Timmygcsc2308

Post Number: 2
I was thinking the same thing (about which way to face it) In the end I did it like this:
Upload
(not finished yet :-( )
because it made things easier in my small Peugeot 306 boot. Sounds ok to me this way but yea I had my old sub with the magnet facing me..can't really tell the difference but then I am no expert..

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
Yeah, thats how I did mine (exactly like tim's picture, but my amp is mounted right on the seat.

Post Number: 6
Thankyou for the vote of confidence.
I don't have my sub facing the seat though?? I thought you said thats how you have it? Mine is on one side of the boot facing the other side. A question on that point..if I had a sub the other side aswell, facing that sub, what would happen to the air? obviously it would meet in the middle but then where would it go? up?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2815
hey u got a 12" Pioneer 306 , right ?

i have 2 & they are really loud . Is your box sealed ? - i can't tell from the pic . Ported souns way better with that sub as sealed just holds it back alot .
looks like u got that JBL 1200 amp . Kinda dangerous to have all that stuff loose in your trunk like that - if u pull a hard corner while driving 1 or your amps could smash up up your sub cone easily ......

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 676
sub facing the amp isn't going to hurt.

Post Number: 7
naa..I got a Pioneer W3004 in a Peugeot 306 lol Yea the box is sealed..I was told I should get a ported before but being on a budget and all i had the sealed box lying around. Maybe when I get paid I will stick it in a ported. But its only a small car and it still pounds..and unlike my old JBL sub, the bass seems really.."smooth" if thats the right word. Nope wrong again lol, its the JBL 1201.1, it does the job and its good enough for me.
Like I said, that pic was taken when it wasn't finished. Everything is screwed down now coz underneath that carpet is a wooden base, and its not going anywhere..I made that mistake with my last system (before it got nicked) and a can of oil..I'm sure you can figure out the rest ;-)

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2821
Oh well those 3004 should beat my 2 12s cause yours = 1000wrms .
just thurs gone i was talking to a friend who does installs & for a client of his they put a 1400wrms mmats amp on 1 of those & the subs lasted like 45mins @ max power he said . Then can take more than 1000wrms good but that 1400+ was just asking for it .

When u do port that sub it'll sound like u actually now have 2 subs & your trunk will rattle like crazy ....

Post Number: 8
yea..I haven't tested it to full power yet or anywhere near it coz I only finished putting it in yest. but already its loud! Yup the JBL puts out just over 1000wrms and I doubt I will ever put it to max power so I should be safe.
Isn't there something to do with a subsonic filter for a ported box?

Denis_A
Unregistered guest
My sub WAS facing the seat but I just changed things around this past weekend and now my setup looks like Tim's setup. and there doesn't seem to be an audible difference on how loud it pounds.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us