Diamond .vs RE .vs Adire

Bronze Member
Username: Frkkevin

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 12
Diamond Audio TDX12D4 $299.00 x 2
RE SX18 $265.00 x 2
Adire Brahma 12 $420.00 x 2

3 cubic foot per chamber, ported and tuned to correct frequency. Probably run either two Hifonics 1500d or PG 1500d. Dumping the rear seat in my truck. I've got no really good options besides that if I'm going to get some good spl out of that. My question of the 3, which is more logical. To me I'm thinking the two RE SX18s (duh). Cheaper and would push more air but how would they sound in the 3cu box with 1500rms running to each? Should I downsize for those amps or get different amps? Would any of the other choices be any better? Any other brand I'm looking over near the price range? I was trying to stick to $1500 and if I got something like the Brahmas I'd be cutting it close for box materials. Please, any imput! Bout to spend some serious cash on this and I want my moneys worth ;)!

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1610
what truck do you have?

are you sure you cant get any more air space than 3cuft?

(i vote SX's for the money, but i'm bias since i have an SX15)
truth be told, if 1 SX15 w/ 1200wrms isnt loud enough for you...your already deaf. brahma's are amazing subs, they have the best SQ i have ever heard (i used to have a 10" brahma), but SX's are much more efficient and still maintain good SQ.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 13
2001 Silverado Ext Cab. It was 3cuft per chamber so 6cuft total.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2695
I can't figure how some ppl can stand having 2 18s right behind their back like that & take that kinda pounding -do they really know how uncomfortably loud that is .

for me personally i'd drop in 2 12s RE Se with an Orion/kicker 1200 amp & that'll good to go ....

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1705
get the Sx's good mix of spl and sq and cheaper

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 15
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Most likely it will still be a downfire, both ports and subs. In the cab of a truck the sound waves do not have enough time to mature so anything I can add to throw in front of it (the floor) would help it a little. Only drawback for the Sx's is waiting for the group buy order date. I guess I could have the box and amps ready for it. Btw, how do you do the group buy/ Just call RE and mention it and then set the order when the time comes around? What amp do you recomend for them as well, 2 Hifonics 1500d or something else?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1706
Kicker kx1200.1
Re 12.1

But whats ur budget on amps

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 16
Total for the system was 1500 so after the subs.. roughly $900.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1612
kevin,

have you thought about HO alts and batts?
if you are going to run 2 1200wrms+ amps, your stock electrical system isnt going to hold up.

your prolly gonna want to get at least a 200A+ alt. (250-300A would be more like it)

oh, and since you have an ext cab silverado, i'm 110% sure you can get alot more air space than 6cuft.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/650399
that is my SX15 install in my 98 silverado...that box is 6cuft+ and only takes up about 2/3's of the back...i have alot of room to spare. you can get 8-10cuft out of your ext cab EASILY! (i use interchangable ports...w/ my daily port in I do 138.6dB @28hz w/ my SX15 and a jbl bp1200.1...i do 148.0dB @ 48hz w/ my SPL port.)

oh, and about the down fire thing...that would work ok, but i highly recommend subs amp ports firing up or forward. (if you do 2 seperate chambers, have the subs firing up w/ ports firing up along the back wall)

if you have any other questions, hit me up...i'll help you out man.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1613
by the way kevin,

what is the loudest system you have ever heard?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1579
the brahmas are going to outbeast the other 2 in sq. they won't be msrp at purchase either, so you'll save some cash if you go there. also, they are HO subs, with a minimal rms of 600watts (easier on the charging system). they lean more toward sq than spl, but get plenty loud. likewise for the d9 (not the d4).

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 18
I'll prolly be getting a HO alt but all I've got right now going for me is an Optima Yellow Top battery that I'm going to swipe out of my 1977 Plymouth. The loudest system I've heard believe it or not was to Cali Edition Kicker L712s. Its my friends system and he hit 161.1db at a local db drag, took first place. I don't rememember his specs because he goes through systems so fast its not even funny. I know hes got an MTX cross-over for the low-pass other than the built in one on the fosgate amp. He blew out some of the coils in his alt and snapped a 160amp fuse. Drawing mad current off that.. My main goal with this system is to get as loud as the one in my car. Its nothing too spectacular so it should do the trick.
http://myspace-364.vo.llnwd.net/00210/46/38/210918364_l.jpg
That was my first system I threw together with stuff I had laying around. Tons of weight in the back of my car though, 2 full 4x8 sheets of 3/4" MDF. I made a fiberglass enclosure for some 6x9s in the back and put in a MA Audio 6.8" LCD motitor and put in a ps2. Had to have something to keep me busy when I was in school :p. Used to sit out in the parking lot and play San Andreas lol. But I'm going to sell my car now, probably pretty cheap. Let it go for something like 1500-2000obo.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/478290
Btw what are the best amp choices to fit a $900 budget? And how do you order from the group buy deal? Gotta know cuz I'll soon be ordering! lol..

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 24
One other thing.. wouldn't you get speaker noise if they were mounted facing up? You'd hear the sound waves directly with no time to mature. The other thing is a question about the box. Which would be the best choice..

1) Mount the subs in one Large chamber and port to x.hz
2) Mount in two smaller chamber and port to x.hz

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 29
bump

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1622
kevin,

firing subs up in a truck is just fine...possibly one of the best ways to do it in a full size truck.

if you go w/ 1 amp, having 2 subs in 1 large chamber will be just fine...they will both be getting the same signal. (also running a pair of subs in the same chamber on 2 strapped amps would be just fine)

if you get 2 amps that cant be strapped, i would run the subs in separate chambers.

both the kx1200.1 and the RE 12.1 are strappable amps...a pair of either of those amps would be a really nice match to a pair of SX's. The RE 12.1 is ~$380 shipped.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 30
Odds are I'll get two RE 12.1s and put each sub in its own chamber. I'm still trying to work out the box in my head and I've pretty much got two ways I'm willing to do it.

/___] or a regular [___] ..

The first one will give me more volume and allow my seats to be tilted but makes it harder for me to tune the port exactly. Guess I could port the back of the box to get a squared off L port then just use basic geomety to figure out the box volume and run it through WinISD Pro along with speaker parameters to get the port length for x.hz. What should the 18s be tuned to? Btw the standard coils are 2ohm (?) .. just wire each sub to each seperate amp but wire each subs coils parallel given its a 2ohm stable amp? Pretty new to this still so I just wanna get it all correct before I end up trashing something lol. Btw.. no one answered about the group buy?

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1634
i would tune those 18's fo ~30-32hz.

SX's are DVC 2ohm...so wire each sub in parrallel to its own amp. (each amp will see a 1ohm load)

to get in on the RE group buy...call RE after Dec. 5th...just ask them about the group buy and they will give you the discount.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1635
by the way man,

unless you can give those SX18's 6-8cuft each...i would go w/ SX15's.

Bronze Member

Fort Worth, Texas US

Post Number: 31
I kinda figured as much for the wiring but I wanted to make sure I was right. I don't think I can get that much airspace so I might just end up with the 2 15s. Hell they will still sound great. Either that or I could put the two 18s in the one large chamber. Which do you think is best? Btw thanks for your help..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us