Recommend a subwoofer please

Username: Compengineer0

Post Number: 1
i have a Kenwood KAC-9102D mono sub amp (500 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms or 850 watts x 1 at 2 ohms) and i'm trying do decide what subs to put in. i'm a fan of audiobahn and i'd like to get two 12" subs, i'm just not sure how big of subs my amp can handle. for instance, what about two 12" Audiobahn AW1251T that are dual 4 ohms, 400W rms and 800W peak? would that be a waste of my amps power? too much for my amp? or just about right? trying to get some idea of what to get... thanks

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1599
first off...not to be mean, but audiobahn is crap.

i have owned the aw1051t (10" version of what you are looking at), it was quit possibly the worst sub i have ever heard...other than the audiobahn Dub series.

if you can, stay away from audiobahn. the only thing audiobahn has that is "good" in the crome. (which one of only reason people like them). audiobahn is known for poor SQ and horrible build quality.

what is your price range?
i'm sure you can find a MUCH better sub that that one for roughly the same price.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1697
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Post Number: 2
wow ok, good to know! no offense taken btw. my price range is prolly around $100 per sub. less is always good, but i'm willing to spend a more for quality (i know you get more when you pay more usually) mainly i'm just trying to figure out what subs my amp can handle. all ready have a sealed box for two 12s, just need to figure out what to put in it. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1699
u might want to save a little more and get some good stuff, in car audio u get what u pay for

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1608
for ~$100 a sub....and to have subs that would match up to your amp, you may wanna look at kicker compVr's. 2 12" compVr's would perform pretty well on that amp in sealed boxes. (get the DVC 2ohm versions and wire them in series-parrallel)

as a matter of fact, i think a friend of mine has his 2 compVr 12's on a the same amp you have. (does the amp say 1600w max on the top?)
his is in a 2003 single cab chevy truck and it sounds pretty darn good.

Post Number: 3
my amp is like a shiny metal and says 1700w max on it. it's also going into the trunk of a toyota camry. thanks for the suggestion. how much more would i need to spend to get good subs and what should i buy? thanks.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1611
if that amp has a subsonic filter...i would try 2 12" kicker compVR's vented.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-05CVR12-2-KICKER-CompVR-DVC-800-Watt-Subwoofer-NEW_W0QQit emZ5829981349QQcategoryZ39777QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that would keep you in the ~$100 per sub range.
(if the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter, i would use a sealed box)

Post Number: 4
yes it does have a subsonic filter, but my box is sealed anways. wow, these subs are really pretty cheap. i may look at getting these if no other suggestions. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Vinnyqh

Portland, OR

Post Number: 33
I would look into the diamond d3 series of subs, thsoe are nice for the price range you are in.

Post Number: 5
ok i'll look at these subs, just out of curiosity... if i were to spend more like 150-200 bucks per sub, how much more would i get performance wise and what would be my options then? thanks.

Post Number: 6
if i get some more money, would i look at the diamond d6 series? they are a little stronger and a little more money. are they worth it or can my amp even handle two of them? not sure what other subs to look at in that price range that would sound good. thanks for all the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us