Loud enough?

Silver Member
Username: Thigpen

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 273
would 2 RE8's be loud at all in a small sealed box? just wondering because it would save me alot of trunk room if i did a design like this Upload

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1596
depends on what you consider "loud"

they will give you some nice reasonibly loud low end...if that is what you are looking for. but they wont be "loud" as in hit you in the chest w/ a hammer loud. (an install like that would make a good SQ setup)

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 274
its jut going to be for everyday driving, and i want it for SQ, but i still want it to get decently loud. obviously im not expecting too much for 40$ subs but i dont want to get subs and then hardly be able to feel them. by the way, does anyone know the mounting depth on the 8 and 10" RE's? the guy who showed me that pic never told me if it would be possible to fit 10's in there instead of 12's. also, how much more room than the required mounting depth do you need to fit subs in. say the subs are 6" mounting depth, and i have 7 inches to work with. can i do that, considering i still have 3/4" mdf to fit in there

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1600
low powered subs w/ vented poll peices like the RE, i would give them a good 1.5"+ of room to breath.

just looking at that pic...i see no reason why you couldnt build a box that is deeper than the one on the pic (have the box come all the way out to the curved plastic peices), and still have alot of usable trunk space.

if you do that, you would prolly even be able to fit 12's in there.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 275
how would i be able to fit 12's in there? and btw the box that i make wont be ported like that one. instead of putting some RE8's in there, i just did some measurements and i want to put some SE10's in there. i have 8 1/2inches of depth, and the subs require 6" mounting depth, would that be enough? and if i build the box sealed in that area, it would come out to a little over .6 cubic feet per sub. is that enough for the SEs? i cant find anywhere on res site for recommended specs.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1604
if you can get ~.6cuft per sub after all displacements...yes, SE10's would so well.

RE's recommended SQ volume for SE10's is .65cuft.

would that 8.5" of depth you have include the MDF(external measurment) or not (internal measurement)?

it that is an internal box measurement, then your good.

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 276
no, its the external box measurement, am i still going to be good. i can probably just push the seats another half inch to make it a flat 9" with them still locked in. the it will probably be around .6-.7 but thats not counting the sub displacement. never made a box before and didnt know if you included the sub displacement or not. that is however counting the MDF

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 277
the reason i dont have the exacty cuft is because the box is going to be rounded on some spots as you can see. i estimated the width at 30 inches from the smallest point, and it will continue to get deeper as you get back towards the seats. it was .6 with 30 inches, so i figured it would be around .65 when it goes back to aboutn 36 inches across in the back. the biggest problem i see is, if i make the box the exact size of the hole down there, the subs going to hit the step up.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1606
if you have 9" external, you are only gonna have 7.5" internal (using 3/4" MDF). that really not enough space for SE10s....RE10's maybe.

i'll draw you a pic of a way to get more mounting depth and box volume...while still having lots of usable trunk space.

back in a minute...

Silver Member

RVA, Va Usa

Post Number: 278
alright thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us