Dyn,cdt, or dls? w/warranty? install?

Anonymous

i have narrowed choice for 3 way components dynaudio 340,dls uridum 6.3 or cdt 642 now none of these 3 are sold in my area, so they will have to be bought off net, cdt is the only one i can get a warranty with, how much is the worry on these items without? 2nd the shops in the area are ok for install, are any of these really tempermental on install to sound good with a good installer NOT great? and also they are going into front doors of a mustang which if any would you choose?

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1553
allow me to inform you that unles you find a highly qualified installer, you are going to be wasting a significant amount of time and money on the dls, and 340.
there is no stock location for the 3", so significant time and location auditioning has to be worked out. time is one thing the majority of install shops don't like to spend on one car.
further, if you plan on running these actively, you need to take the same amount of time tuning these things. they are very sensitive, not like most drivers you find that just dish out whatever you give them. i send each of my 6 drivers 120-140 watts of clean power with a proper slope and frequency, but that was not attained without practice and time.
if you know what your doing, then good. but the doors are certainly not going to be the best place for 3ways of this caliber. your image will be side-biased, stage and imaging will both suffer.
my advise; find an authorized installer, look at their catalog and note the number of trophies they've won. otherwise, i would go with the dls 2-way. a lot less hastle, but like you said, it won't quite be up to par with the 3-ways.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 728
Despite the fact the install shop I had my subs done at used an LOC into the speaker wires hehe, the installation for subs/amp/door speakers took almost 4 hours!

Although, it's a "family" owned electronics type shop, and they had several workers working on the car. I give them props though. The install was REDICULOUSLY clean.

Every wire wrapped, run, and secure. Very nicely done. Only complaint was they ran my subs to the amp at 8 ohms, instead of 2 like I requested. So I had to unwire/unwrap and redo a little.

Anonymous

THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT, BUT THE CDT BETTER FOR DOOR?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 729
Ummm...those Dyn comp. speakers are like $850 on Woofersetc.com! Someone has some cash to burn!

Anonymous

money is not the issue i want to do it right, and only once, these local shops do not carry high end, so it makes me worry about handing them high end product and it comes out sounding like sony!

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 530
as mike said, the install is crutial for a good set up, 3 ways especially, and most shops don't care.
i don't know much about dynaudio or dls speakers, but i think they have a 12 db/octave crossover slope vs a 24 for the cdt, which makes the install even more important for the dyns and dls.
i had a set of the cdt's, 6 in stock door location, 4 and tweeters in custom kick panels, sounded great (92 honda accord)
2 ways are easier, cheaper, and sufficient for most people. don't do 3 ways unless your gonna spend the time and money setting everything up perfectly.

Anonymous

thank you for the input, the only reason i am asking here is,i am willing to spend the time and money, i could just walk in to a shop and get some boston's or diamonds comp a jl sub and amp and call it a day, but if there are better why not look? the new mustang have room in door lower for an 8" the mid door has 5x7 plate comp. that can handle a 4" mid and tweeter that is why looking at a 3 way am i not thinking right?
also with a covertible car with over 500 hp do you think it would be right to get a system with over 100 rms for a clearity at high volume?
that is why it brings me to the high end products

Gold Member

Post Number: 1557
i agree. always go high-end in my opinion. it's all about time. i also have 5x7 in my doors which were modded to accept the the 3". my highs were placed in the sails and the 6.5 in the lower doors.
this was all done against my instruction, however. i specifically said kicks and a-pillars or forward dash. i had little choice though, since i was in chicago and the truck was being completed in atlanta. anyway, my friend had his new shop owner barking at him about time and he went with the quickest route.
all the pods were fabricated specifically for the drivers, but the production is not optimal, and the imaging is extremely side-biased. the passenger will not get anywhere near the performance that i get driving. paying that much for drivers, you should have perfection. especially if you're as an@l as myself.
so far we've changed everything personally, except for the pods. that's where we're at now. moving the 3"s to the kicks and the highs to the pillars. it's just best to take your own advice: do it right the first time. don't skimp on the equipment or the install. jmo

Anonymous

thanks again i am as you are AN@l, i am driving the shop owner crazy and the car is not here yet,so we where talking to day, and the audio talk became lambo doors so i ordered 2k worth of door hinges and still no speakers!@#

Gold Member

Post Number: 1558
sweet.
also, you made mention of the space in your factory doors for 8". you might want to consider going with the 8.3 with the prototype 8" mid-woofer. they are a marked improvement over the previous production 8".

Anonymous

MIKE I FOUND A PIC OF AN 06 STANG TORN APART you will see the plate speaker/tweeter in the door, this is where i will build a custom bracket and mount the 3-4" mid and the tweeter in same location, right under that,stock is 7" sub that I will be adding an 8" woofer what do you think?
DSCN0939aINSIDE OF STANG.jpg

Gold Member

Post Number: 1559
sweet. the pic didn't come out though. i've seen the 06 charger and have been told the musty is the same basic set-up (battery in trunk, 7-8" in doors).
which 8" were you considering?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1560
if you're building anything custom though, i would still fab kick panels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us