What causes your amp to go into protection?

Anonymous

could it be the speaker wires???
Power cable??
Alternator??

or what..

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 722
Ummm...Probably your impedance running to your amp, it's either two high (unlikely) or too low (most likely).

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2547
undersized wire
not enough current
wrong speaker ohms configuration ......

Anonymous

wut kind of wire?? because their are alot of diff. wires that go to the amp?

Silver Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 503
there are few things that can cause your amp to go into protection. if you don't know exactly the problem, then take it to a stereo place and ask the installer. they should at least tell you the problem without charging you. when they tell you the problem and try to sell you something to fix it say you'll be back and go home. after you go home post on this forum what the guy said and i'm sure the guys here will tell you if he is full of sh!t. also if it is a minor problem that doesn't require you to buy anything, then they might just fix it for you real quick.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2550
"wut kind of wire?? because their are alot of diff. wires that go to the amp?"

like if u use a 8awg wire when your amp really needs a 4awg

not enough current -like if its a 2000wrms & the car has a regular stock alt & your amp is begging for more power

wrong Ohms - like wiring your subs to a 1ohm load when your am; was made to do only low as 2ohms load .....

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2551
simple short circuits too also cause it .......

Silver Member
Username: Shawnomak

HB, SK Canada

Post Number: 144
could be a short in any of the wires, if you have the wires clamped between any metal check that out, thats what happened to me once.

Anonymous

so what kind of power wire would i need for a Audiobahn A8002T amp??? 4 AWG??? my speaker wires are 14 AWG

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2557
a simple tiny strand of speaker wire damaged my bro's amp 2 times b4 he realised that was the problem .....

Anonymous

but if that is my amp would i get a 4 AWG?? i am up-grading my wires.

are kicker comp vr subs overrated?? I mean if i put 300 watts into a 400wats rms sub like the comp vr, will their be that big of a difference???

also i hear that audiobahnn amps are underated but i dont think their are as much underated as much as people say they are...

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1114
The most likely reason is that the impendance is to low for the amp. Also the gain and/or bass boost is set to high. In rare cases the gain may be set too low. Possibly the amp is overheating. Overheating can be a result from a low impendance.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1115
Highly doubt its from the power wire being too skinny. 300 watts for the sub will be fine.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1116
you never explained when the amp goes into protection....... Does it play then go into protection at high volumes? does it go into protection without music even playing?

Anonymous

when i turn it up... i have 2 dual 4 ohm, comp vrs wired in parallel

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 172
Audiobahn amps are far from under rated they're HIGHLY over rated, probably at like 5 or 6% distortion for there figures. I would almost garuntee it's your amplifier gains set to high, and theres probably a bass boost thats turned up as well. Try turning down the gains, and any bass boost circuitry. also do you have those comps bridged? Because if thats the case you're running it at WAY to low of an ohm load, if it's stereo that should be stable.

Anonymous

i am running the subs in parallel and the coils in series.

2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

Anonymous

like this
2_4ohm_dvc_4ohm.gif

Anonymous

Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

28.6 K
Voice coils wired in series.doc
"Upload"

Anonymous

i cant upload a picture of how i wired it but i got it from this http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp
the second one...

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 190
Put a multimeter on the speakers to find exact ohm load, if 4ohm, then it seems that it is a power supply problem , if 1ohm it is and impedence problem, to start with.

Anonymous

what does that mean " HIGHLY over rated, probably at like 5 or 6% distortion for there figures."

that is what the other guy said.

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 180
it means they crank the amplifiers beyond listenable levels to get there ratings from them, for instance a Pioneer head unit rated at 45 watts by 4 is actually 22 watts RMS from 50 to 15,000hz at no more than 5% distortion, at 1% distortion you really begin to notice that it sounds like @ss, 5% the amp's going to most likely burn up rather quickly. Now they have a standard for amplifier ratings, it's called CEA compliance and it's awesome! Buy a CEA compliant amp if you can. Now for the subs, wire your subwoofers + to + and - to - on each sub (jumper the pos and negs on each subwoofers VC to the other pos neg on that subs VC) then wire one to each channel of your amplifier. Now if you hook up the RCA and it still sounds crappy, wire one of your subs in the opposite polarity (change the + and - at the amp) and see if that solves your problem.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1397
an audiobahn A8002T is not 1 ohm stable in any circumstance...

mono or per channel...

is your amp extremly hot when it goes into protection?

chances are pretty good that your gain is set extremly too high and thats causing you amp to heat up uber quick.

Anonymous

when your gain is up does that mean that you hear more bass then if it was down?

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 194
it means you have it set for a lower voltage signal than you're putting into it and it's causing clipping and distortion. Your gains have to be set, they can't be turned up or down like a volume knob. He won't be running a 1ohm load with DVC 4 ohm comps wired stereo running paralell, he'll be running 2ohm per channel and that's what the amp is rated for. Is the amp still kicking into protect after you turned everything down and rewired it?

Anonymous

let me C... do you want your gains to be set inm the middle? and also, so in other words when you turn your gain up you hear more bass right...

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4083
No, you match the gains to the rca output voltage from your headunit, don't just stick them in the middle.

Get a digital multimeter and use google to learn how to set your gains correctly using the dmm and simple algebra.

Anonymous

how much is a digital multimeter

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 199
very cheap, probably 10 dollars at Wal Mart and it's a tool you'll REALLY want to have around. Here's JL Audio's tutorial on how to set gains, some minor math is involved but it's no big deal (voltage squared divided by ohm load).
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us