Best complete $2000-2500 system?

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I'm still drifting around on what to get for my truck. It is a 01 silerado ext cab. I'm limited to space for the subs so that kills me. Only 7inch mounting depth, .92cuft per chamber. I'm looking to spend 2000-2500 on everything from headunit - components - box - subs - and amp. I don't want anything too crazy for a head unit because I'll be replacing it with a touch screen navigation system soon. I was thinking of getting what follows:

Head-unit

Panasonic CQ-C9701U

Components

Infinity KAPPA PERFECT 6.1 (6-1/2)
Infinity KAPPA 462.7CFP (4x6)
Infinity 4-Channel Amplifier (7541A)

Subs

Kicker 04S12L74
Kicker KX1200.1
Ultra deep downfire box
http://www.subthump.com/ctbultra.htm

I say Kicker L7 because I'm leaning more towards spl. Can I make the sub flexible? Lets say I want to listen to rock instead of rap. Could I turn down the gain and turn the bass level on the head-unit to the lowest level possible in hope for gaining some type of sql? I'm open for suggestions but limited on space. I want spl but if I could get a sub with good sql that could compete with the L7s spl let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Dropthatbass

Minnesota US

Post Number: 45
wait for the new RE XXX's
www.reaudio.com
DONT GO WITH KICKER THERE R SO MANY BETTER SUBS OUT THERE

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
Can't fit an RE XXX, only 7inch mounting depth. Wish I could fit them.

Bronze Member

Minnesota US

Post Number: 46
look into these maybe

IDMAX 12inch - 1000 watts rms
RE SX 12inch - 1000 watts rms
JLW7
will sound better then kicker^^

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I've been told RE SX like large boxes. Only have 0.92 per chamber. Mounting depth on the W7s take them out of the question. I don't know the exact specs of the IDMAX but I'm sure it require more than 7inch mounting depth not to mention at least cuft of space.

Bronze Member

Minnesota US

Post Number: 47
* Size: 12 inch
* Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 1.30 - 1.52 cu.ft.
* Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.80 - 2.50 cu.ft.
* Free Air Usage: yes
* Sensitivity: 93.1 dB
* Frequency Response: 10-150 Hz
* Recommended RMS Power: 1000W
* Peak Power Handling: 1800W
* Impedance: dual 2 ohms subwoofer wiring options

idmax 12^^^^^

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
The IDMAX is indeed a great sub but it wasn't meant to be when it comes to my space. Mounting depth on it is 7.625".

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
What kind of sql could I expect with 2 RE SX 10s. They require 1.6cuft tuned to 32hz. Could I get by with .92 cuft tuned to the same frequency? What about 2 RE SX sealed? Could either compare to L7s spl? Other than the subs which are still being determined, hows the rest of the system?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 682
30 Sony Xplod aluminum series woofers? Hehe...

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
Sigh... I can fit either two 10s or two 12s. Not crazy amounts of other subs nor anything too deep. All I'm asking is if my system of choice will be good or should I change something about it. I want to stick with the Infinity components but everything else I'd be willing to change if given reason too. Anyone have any input on this subject? Should I stick with it or change something?

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 991
i know theres a DD woofer u can fit...check there site www.ddaudio.com

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I could fit two DD9500f 10s but might be able to squeeze in the 12s by adding a section for the magnet. I looked at enclosure types but it only listed ported at 1.50cuft. How would they sould spl wise in a 0.92 sealed enclosure?

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 651
get 2 of these, should get as loud if not louder than L7's. http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/woofers.asp?series=2500

Bronze Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 35
get a jl audio 1000/1 amp (thats 1000 watts rms and thats even underated ..so its powerful)..and get a w7..one or 2..any size...and that will be the best sound quality out there..then get a pioneer head unit..and i dont know what kind of speakers

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 742
you guys obviously arent reading his posts..
k perfect match .. maybe the jl 10 w6 has a mounting depth of 6.9 inches and is designed to work in really small enclosures use the jl 1000/1 to power them and your set.. one of the best sq subs out there and ive herd they can get reasonably loud.. if its exactl 7 inches that u have to use itl be tight maybe double up the front baffle if you are making the box... u could also get 8w7's 6.83 mounting depth and could might be able to get 3 of those in there .. could run 3 of them off a 1000/1 as well

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I havn't heard much of the new W7s. I've listened to a few JL systems and they sounded great at lower volumes but because of the flimsy cone they tended to distort when they were pushed a little hard. JL makes quality subs and I'll have to go to a local Car Toys or other shop and listen to the W6s. I havn't had time to check out prices yet. What are we looking at for 2 W6s shipped? I'm not in too much of a hurry to get the subs. I'm waiting for my paycheck I'll be getting at the end of the month. It's for a little more than 3 weeks work so it will be around $4,500. I just want to keep the price as low as I can while still getting quality products that I won't want to change any time soon. I mayb wait until companies start rolling out the 06 models so I can get good deals on the 05s. Anyone know how the RE SXs would sound in a small sealed enclosure (0.92)? How much spl could I get out of two RE SE 12s? I want to take my time and do a lot of research. Sorry if I continue with my questions. I just want to get something worth spending money on. No one has commented the Head unit and component setup. Anyone think there is better for a decent price?

Bronze Member

Minnesota US

Post Number: 55
frkkevin- i was just looking at some videos of RE SX subs in sealed enclosuresand they didnt sound 2 bad- check it out for yourself
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html

look for:
Spidyr's 12" SX & NoXious' 12" SX powered by a US Amps 1000X

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I was looking at the excursion video for the RE SE 10. I'm quite amazed but the downfall is I don't believe I'd have enough room for it in the downfire box. I don't need it hitting the floor. I might just settle for the kicker l7s but damn those SEs are nice...

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 756
sx's are more towards ported enclosures.. so hard to say what it would be like in a small sealed box unless you have tried it.. most likely deacresed low end and especially spll .. se's are more suited towards a sealed box than the sx's are.. im sure you would get some decent spl out of them... aparently there like re's equivelent to the type r.. im sure the se's are a better made sub though.. id stay away from the l7 shite personally never used them so cant really comment but all i hear is crap about them .. spl is good yeah bot long term reliability is crap... sq is crap.. bottom line is you dont have much room so you need a sub designed for small sealed boxes (because you have no room for ported) and .. the SE would work w6 would work.. sx would fit but its an unideal enclosure.. the dd's would work with 10's but again like the sx's unideal enclosure .. the dd's want a ported box.. and id imagine those would be quiet expensive.. its up to you .. your pretty limited spl wise because of the enclosure space u have .. but plz dont buy kicker.. you might regret it later on

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people blow coils or tearing apart spiders on the L7s. Only good if you have a good warranty on them. I wouldn't mind getting 2 SEs but I'm not sure the downfire box will allow for the excursion. Has anyone seen these in a downfire box?

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
I could go with 4 Credence CSC10D4s. Only thing I wouldn't like with the setup is two 10s in each seperate chamber. I just don't know anymore. Being limited sucks for buying subs lol. It tempts me to tear my back seat out and make a 6ft box to slam behind the front seats. Too bad I need to space :-(.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 762
lol thats what i did in my stang ripped those usless back seats out to have room for stereo stuff... theres no way you could scoot the box up a bit to leave room for excursion .. i mean how much space is there between the box and floor

frkkevin
Unregistered guest
Thats the problem, I don't know. It is a box I'd be ordering from the net so I'll have to recheck the specs, if it even says anything about it. I'll probably have to call the company and ask. I might be able to order the box anyway then rebuild the bottom of the box to cover up the old cut-outs then cut out the front of the box. Plenty of room for the excursion then but I'll have to measure to see if I can even squeeze a 10 in that position. Only drawback is whoever sat in the backseat would have to watch their legs. Might get pounding by the black beast, lol. I'm really losing hope on all this though :-(. The bad thing is I've got plenty of money to build a system yet when it comes right down to it I just can't get what I'm looking for. I went to car toys just to listen to some stuff and I do not know if their boxes were complete crap or they wired mostly everything up wrong, but the JL W3s sounded horrid. Bad distortion, nearly sounded like it was going out. The W6s didn't sound any better, louder, but bad sq. That was strange to me. The best sounding speakers they had were MTX 7500, go figure. Something was wrong. If anyone knows of a good system that WILL FIT under that damned back seat and give me great SPL please let me know. I'd really rather get something besides the Kicker L7s. I saw how bad the older models twisted when they were pushed. Do the 2005 models do that? I did notice they have extra bracing on the cone that the older models didn't have. Ahhh, someone save me from this damned dilemma.

Anonymous

if i were you, id do what i did and build a box, then bolt you seats to the top of the box, it will just raise your seats a little, if to much trouble, go with one sx 12 and have the box take up the whole space underneath your back seat, should be loud and very clear
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us