Buying Good oLe' type R 12" and now....the AMP!

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
Well after almost 24 hours of non-stop research on subs and amps and ohm and wiring and...everything that has to do with car audio i have come to the point where i have decided to buy a AlPINE Type R 12" sub( 500rms/1500peak). Everyone says they are good for the money, so what the hell i will try one out.
and now a question everyone has heard a million times, what amp should i buy? i have narrowed it down to 7 choices in 2 categories.
the ones i can buy now:
1.Audiobahn a12005dn- 600rms
2.Phoenix Gold R8.0:1 Octane- 600rms
3.Kicker KX400.1- 400rms
these are the ones i could buy now please pick the best choice

and then these are the ones i can buy after i save up some more dough
1.Alpine MRD-m605 - 600rms
2.Orion 600 D class D - 400rms
3 Diamond Audio D3600.1 - 450rms
4.JL Audio e1400 D - 500 rms

then pick one from these.

i would really prefer to have one right now and not save up and spend a lot of money
anyones input would be appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2330
4get than Audiobutt - all the others are way better & good choices

I would pick Alpine MRD-m605 - 600rms , ONLY reason being that its also Alpine but IMO i'd pick the Orion if i was buying it .

remember when ordering your sub make u sure pick the correct DVC to match your amp's output or u'll be screwed .....

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
Yeah the Orion seems like a good choice. (although the 400 rms amp wouldnt be powering the 500rms sub to the max so sound quality might suffer a bit)

about the dvc, im going to get a 4ohm dual coil,
which i'll run parrell to 2 ohms on the amp for maximum power. is that right?

One more thing, b/c money is a factor, would there be a HUGE difference in the sound quality if i were to get.. the phoenix gold compared to the orion(just an example)...or will it only be a somewhat small difference?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2347
If u only intend to have a single 12" - why not get the 2ohms 1222D version instead & wire it into 1ohm so that would mean the amp is pushing 600wrms @ 1ohm .

Orion is well known for good amps so i would get that & not wondering later about coulda/woulda/shoulda - have u checked ebay ? , there are some sweet deals there . About 3wks ago there were a bunch of Orion 1200 selling around $300 new .......

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
that seems like a good idea.
i know absolutely nothing about wiring to make a certain amount of ohms.
is a 4 ohm sub able to got to 2 or 8 ohms in amp
and
a 2 ohm sub able to go to 1 or 4 ohm in amp?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2354
i use this

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 12
If you ever plan on getting the Alpine mrd-m605, get the dual 4 ohm sub. That amp can't be run below 2 ohm.

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
anyone have any more suggestions of what amp to pick?
or any that arent listed that are in the same price range($200-300).

Thanks

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2360
who me ?

http://sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?show_thumbnails=1&show_description=1&id=2 3&car_only=&page=1&manufacturer=108&new_page=1

buy the D3 & the dual 2ohms sub .....

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
Well i think im going to go with the kicker 400.1 b/c i found it on e-bay for $135 which is a steal, i know it is not the best, but that is okay b/c it is saving me big heaps of dough. and im not planning on competing or anything i just want some added bass.

so the kicker for 135$ is a pretty good deal right?

and it will power the type r well?

thanks

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2364
should since kicker amps are underrated so u might get about 425-450 estimated wrms ....

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
and that will still bump really loud right?

and also i heard that underpowering the sub might damage it, but i guess 450rms is close enough to the 500 rms on the sub, right?

Username: Project

Post Number: 8
I have a Crossfire CFA1000D that'll run 500 X 1 rms at 2 ohms. (its also stable at 1 ohm for 1000 watts if you decide to add a second sub) Its rated at 12.5 volts so you'll get 15% more at 14.4 volts. 250 plus shipping. email me if you're interested.

2+2=5
Unregistered guest
also would there be a huge diffence in sound quality and loudness if i got am amp with 500rms or would it only be a slight increase?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2371
PROJECT :

Upload

Upload

quit jacking every 1s thread & create your own thread advertising your sh!t ....

I always prefer to get a matching wrms amp or 1 thats about 100wrms more to have headroom & know for sure my sub can get powered right ....

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2372
2+2=5

why don't u take 2 minutes & register - i'm sure u will have more ?s in the future so we will remember who are ....

Username: 225

H-Town, PA USA

Post Number: 1
okay ill register.
more questions..yeah!

i've come to the point where im thinking that a 500rms may be a bit louder than i really want. So i would like some opinions on what is the optimun RMS rating for really good bumping bass, but not such a high rating it will hurt your ears?

Optimus RMS rating??

(Also I'm now looking for a sub with a little lower rms, maybe 400, and i want something that will go good with a kicker kx400.1, suggestions would be appreciated)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2378
Nice u reg

R u pretty sure - 1 hand u want really good bumping bass then other hand 500 is too much

Its better u have the extra power on hand so like if u r driving through alot of rain & there's also alot of outside noise u will still hear it ...

When u really git bitten by the car audio bug u might want to DOUBLE into 2 Rs or a single type X.

Nobody really drives around when their bump full blast all the time .......

3+3=7
Unregistered guest
well i guess ill go ahead and buy the set-up, i cant wait any longer

1. alpine type r 500rms ($120 on ebay w/ shipping)
2. kicker kx400.1 400-450 rms ($130 on ebay w/ shipping)

total $250

thats will be a good beginning set-up
right?

should i go for it?

(i messed up my password so i ahve to post this as a guest, lol)

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2380
yea - thats good .

Reg over again then - u will only lose a single post digit -lol .......

3+3=7
Unregistered guest
i just bought one type r 12", and the kicker 400.1 off e-bay for a combined total of $250!!!! this is awesome, i cannot wait until they arrive!!!!!

now i just need to find the right box and ill be kicking HARD!

anyone who has a type R, i need suggestions for best sound quality and still good spl.

sealed, ported , bandpass??

(i tried to re-register and it told me only one email allowed per user, so ill work it out later on)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/174863.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Build a ported. I've got one in a .9 cu.ft. sealed box with 700 watt rms, and if it doesn't sound very good.

3+3=7
Unregistered guest
but wont that take away from the sound quality?

Bronze Member
Username: Jtj5002

Post Number: 21
i have mine in a 2.25 ported, power by kicker 600.1, sounds great

3+3=7
Unregistered guest
Thanks to all that helped me out with the process and now i have one last question that was left unanswered.

i'm getting the 400-450rms kicker for the sub
but would an amp with say a 600 rms make a HUGE difference in sound quality and loudness, or just a small one?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us