Jonathan / What Crossvoer Slope on HU ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2567
Hey jonathan, what crossover slope is recommended when using 2 JL 12w6v2's in the prowedge sealed box ? 18db or 12db ?

and what should i set my crossover to ? 80hz or 100hz ?

I listen to just about everything and im using the CDT HD62 component set up front so i wanna be able to blend it in better.

Head Unit is Pioneer Premier 860mp

Amp for component is ppi a300.2 with no crossover on it so i use my HU for all of that

Crossfire vr1000d for my 2 12w6v2's with the crossover in the off position as im also using my HU to set it.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1461
sup mo? i havn't seen jonathan around in a while.
i would play with it if i were you. it's bound to be different depending on the ride. regardless though, i would never cross my subs with anything less than a 18db slope. nothing like hearing vioces pop through the subs. cut it all out at 18 (mine's at 30db).
great subs. i can't imagine the cdt not being able to play down to 80hz (never crossed my subs that high). again, i would play around with the xo hz.
did i mention nice subs?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2572
Actually the CDT's are in speaker pods and can easliy handle down to 63hz from what i noticed anyways.

The highest i can go on this HU is 18db slope. and it sounds great at 80hz since the SQ is great it works out perfect.

MY HPF is at a 12db slope. and its crossedover at 80hz for now but can go down to 63hz

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4050
Mines at 12, and sometimes I actually think about going lower. Like mike said, you don't want anything except bass making it through your sub, or your sq is gonna be destroyed.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2576
I find 12db slope to sound best and around 80hz for the lpf

12db slope for the component set and 63-80hz works fine.

My sublevel is at 0 and im getting more then enough bass.

This sounds best after playing with it for a while.

Silver Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 195
i have mine at 24db around 80hz for subs and 12db set around 80 or 100hz for comps.
i see that that pioneer p hu doesn't have as much tuning ability as the alpine.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2588
24db is to steep of a crossover point for me. The highest i whould go is 18db but 12db in my opinion sounds best for subs crossed over at 80hz

Anonymous

during a sine wave the bass goes from the components to the subs

the higher the db slope the faster the bass goes from the components to the subs

you dont want the bass to change from the components to the subs with a flick of a switch because your losing upper end pop for the subs that the components can help bring out tremendously

smart producers will give the most intense line of kicks/pops at a higher bass frequency with a better chance to sound good on average
but anything bigger then a 10 inch sub is gonna have trouble making each punch sound distinct
so adding your components you can count 14 kicks in one second a lot easier (good for any music with drums or bass guitar)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1504
it would depend on the xo hz as well as the slope. like mo said in his car, at 80hz a 12db slope gives the 6.5 time to blend the bass into the subs. at 100hz, that blend wouldn't be necessary, hence the 18db slope. depends on the car and the ear though. i personally prefer to cut all the octaves out of my sub except for the intentional ones. my components handle everything down to 60 hz very well.
unless you are referring to group delay or transient decay, the size of the driver won't play as much of a role in impulse response. that's the rle of the vc inductance. that is, the 12" will move 14 times just as accurately, it just might not stop as readily. i'm going to post more on this later.

Anonymous

i think its ok to have your subs stop on a dime

but i think its best to dip into the subs chunk of the frequency band so the blend is smooth
the little things in that area that the subs are doing but cant be heard very well.. the smaller speakers are doing it too.. so it makes that detail louder

i would say if you had your subs stop on a dime at 80hz and your components set at 80hz it should be 12 or 6

or cross the subs on a dime at 80hz and cross the components at 60hz with 18db slope or 24db slope if your speakers dont like anything lower then 60hz

so to sum things up..
if your right at the same with the sub crossover point it helps to have a low slope to blend with the subs

if you go deep into the subs frequency then a very high slope would be better (to stop distortion)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us