Power issues

Username: Mrspaz99

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
this summer i installed a new system into my car. i'm running 3 pioneer 12" gold series (500w rms) and infinity references (~60w rms?) all around. i have two alpine mrp-m350 (350w rms) amps pushing the subs, and a 4ch. mrv-f340 (4x 65w rms) pushing the speakers. due to being broke, i ran this setup on my stock battery and alternator for about 3 months. needless to say, power delivery was insufficient: i could barely increase the volume to 1/4 of its maximum before the power cut out (if it matters, the 4 channel amp would cut out before the 2 monos). finally, after 3 months i invested in a 3farad synergy series capacitor. unfortunately there was little change- now volume maybe approaches 40% of its max before it cuts out again. and sometimes, even when below the 40% level, the bass sounds flat... like the bass is there, but not as loud as it should be- but this only happens sometimes. anyways, i know sources of these problems could be a) crappy capacitor, b) finished alternator, or c) finished/weak battery. i would really appreciate some advice on how to fix the problem, without having to spend too much $$$.
-adam

Username: Unknownprotocal

Post Number: 3
actually "fixing" power problems isnt exactly cheap... one of the easiest things to do is to get a second battery and install it in the trunk, and wire it in paralell with the battery in the front by 4 or 0 gauge wire (preferrably putting 150 amp circut breakers on each end of the wires to help prevent fires if the wires ever came into contact with each other... unlikely, but CAN happen) but you do need to take into account that adding a second battery actually INCREASES the strain on your alternator to produce enough current to charge both batterys and over time your alternator could go out. ( i recommend 1 addtional battery for every 500 watts rms amplification over 1000 watts RMS ). the safest, however not cheap, recommendation is to contact someone to get a HO alternator (you can get 160 to 200 amp alt) for your car maybe more if it's a common car, which WILL solve your electrical problems for good, and most likely prolong the life of your car...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us