Kenwood Excelon KVT-817 problem

Username: Drivingmenuts

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am hoping someone out there can help me. I have an 02 Chevy Tahoe without the Bose sound system and I have just installed a brand new Kenwood Excelon KVT-817 DVD system. The installation went smooth and everything has been tripled checked and we can not find anything wrong but for some reason the sound will not come from the speakers sometimes. Sometimes when I start my vehicle it will and someimes it will not. I just do not understand. All of the connections and cables are good so I do not know what it could be besides the actual unit and/or receiver. I just have a hard time believing it is the unit so I am just hoping someone out there knows something to check before I actually ship this unit back for repair. Please help.

Thank You

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5035
You either have a loose speaker connectors or some of the speaker wires are shorting out.
If you have a wiring harness for your car, then make sure it's pushed in tightly.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your reply but we have checked that before as well. I do think it is something within the Tahoe though, not the unit, just can not figure out what.

Anonymous

Bose systems require an interface, or handshake. You can not simply connect a new aftermarket radio without one. Check out www.soundgate.com for an interface that may work for you

Cartunes, Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
I understand that but I stated I do not have the BOSE system. Thank you though. I works 7 times out of 10 approximately when I start my vehicle. I guess I am just going to have to take it in.

Unregistered guest
The same thing happened to me a couple times. Both Times it was when the system was left on and the screen was left up. I don't know what the heck is going on. But I thought it might be that it was set on standby or something. The two or three times it happened I freaked.
I have a question about the cell phone answering thing the manual talks about. How does that work?

Unregistered guest
IM LITTLE C,HEY MY COUSIN HAS AN 02 TAHOE,HE HAS THE KVT-715 MODEL,HE HAS NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT,I UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE THE KVT-817 MODEL WICH BY COINCIDENCE IM SELLING ONE,I DONT THINK THERES A PROBLEM WITH THE RADIO ITSELF,WHAT I WOULD CHECK NEXT WOULD BE THE HI\LO WIRING HARNESS THAT'S YOUR AUDIO GOING FROM YOUR STEREO TO SPEAKERS.

Post Number: 4
Thank you all for your advice. I did take the truck in to the shop instead of shipping the unit back since I did think it was something with the wiring. At first they could not figure it out either. I went to pick up the truck and at the last second they realized that I had On Star and with that and the fact that I had a factory AMP they had to fuse some pink wire to some other wire in order for the AMP to get the correct power all the time due to the On Star fact. I know it is not very much detail but if anyone has this same problem I can ask them exactly what other wire they had to fuse the pink one to. I was just happy that they fixed it that I left in a hurry :-)

Post Number: 5
Okay, now I have a new problem. Ever since they got my stereo running right I have not been able to use my OnStar. OnStar still gives me green lights but my radio is not muted when I push the OnStar button to use OnStar like it is supposed to. It is like my new unit is overiding my OnStar audio. I believe it is just a wire, specifically the pink one I mentioned in my last post but I am not sure. I took it to the dealership and obviously they can not go into the radio all they did was push the OnStar button, see that it didn't turn off the radio and thats it. Gee, thanks huh? They told me that OnStar will not work with my unit and I just do not believe them. I think it is just a matter of some wire not being right. Does anyone have any advice, or know of anyone that has my same vehicle and has an after market stereo that their OnStar still works in? PLEASE HELP :-)

Username: Cuconwk

I have just installed the Kenwood KVT-817dvd to my Cherokee. the only problem i have with it, is that i am not getting any video from ANY DVD. Why? HELP

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 796
you have to ground the parking brake wire.

Username: Cuconwk

Post Number: 2
OK, thanks, now more questions
Why is it that i can not hear my CD Changer
And why is it that unless i use the Dual Zone I can not listen to the DVD,CD or TV ?

Username: Mr_smith23

WURZBURGGERMANY

I HAVE A 98 FORD EXPEDITION I AM INSTALLING A KENWOOD KVT-817DVD PLAYER THAT HAS A BUILT IN AMP BUT THE OLD FACTORY STEREO HAD A AMP THAT IS SOMEWHERE IN THE TRUCK DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS LOCATED
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us