SPECIAL T........

Cainer
Unregistered guest
for somone who claims to be a world record holder for car audio you dont seem to know much at all special T, a speaker will only blow if...... the amp is way too powerfull, the gains arnt set right on the amp, or the amp is clipping due to the amp not receiving enough current. you cant blow a speaker by underpowering it.

Bronze Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

Bc Canada

Post Number: 22
yes you can fool.! ask glasswolf he will tell you

coolhandluke
Unregistered guest
ive seen an answer posted by glass himself that says the reason why speakers blow are..., and he said you cant blow a speaker by underpowering it, il find it and post it back at the top.

coolhandluke
Unregistered guest
i found a lot in the archives about blown speakers including a list from glasswolf of what will blow speakers, no mention from anyone about using an amp thats too small for the speakers blowing them, i cant post it back to the top as its in an archive., CoolHand.

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 114
the only thing that i can think of is if the amp is too small so you turn every thing up on it and it starts to clip out were we know that the AC current turns to DC current and over heats the coil in the sub

please correct me if im wrong

Cainer
Unregistered guest
thats the way i figure it as well bryan, clipping and just being underpower are different things, clipping will blow your sub but having an amp thats too small for the sub wont blow the speaker if its sending out a good sine wave, thus too little watts to a speaker wont blow it.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2118
remember the "power handling" rating of a sub is just a thermal tolerance.
it's how much heat the coils can handle without melting, really.
it doesn't mean you HAVE to give the subs that much power, so yes, if the amp puts out less than the subs can handle, you're still fine as long as teh gains on the amp are set properly.

the problems arise when people want more bass than the amp and subs can give them, so they crank the gains to compensate, and then the amp clips, the input stage is overdriven, and the subs distort and the coils fry.
then they go around telling people their amp is so great or their subs suck so much because the subs blew.

in a properly set up system, it's very hard to damage the subs like that.. most times, it's user error that kills things.

glass read this
Unregistered guest
please resolve this for us glass, if im wrong i can take it, cheers for the info on my kenwood amp, Cainer

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2119
this is a good reference. Perry sums it up well, with good, detailed descriptions:

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us