BOSS CAR AUDIO SYSTEM NEED HELP!!

Unregistered guest
Hi! I have a complete boss audio system. I dont really know what model the head unit is, but anyways i have with this system is two 4 inch riot speakers in front, two 5.25 inch riot speakers in the back, two 10 inch ripper subs that came in a bandpass box from Boss, and a 400x2 riot amp pushing the subs. the subs are rated at 700x2 and I am wanting to know how I can make them hit harder because my sisters amp and speakers seem to be louder than mine. She has two 8 inch polk audio subs and a 300x2 watt kenwood amp. For some odd reason mine doesnt seem loud at all. All i hear is some thumping but nothing like hers. Could you tell me how I could make mine louder? Thanks

belittled by sister
Unregistered guest
chuck it all away and use your sisters system

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 40
boss is very low end stuff Jon...(my first amp was a boss amp, i am ashamed to say...)it is crap

save up some cash and get somthing new if you want a good system...

if you want some thump then get somthing like an adire shiva and a JBL 600.1 amp....that would be like $350 shipped and would sound really good!

some other good companies are:
kicker
elemental designs
JBL (amps)
adire
RE

look into these and you may find what you like...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2109
I concur.
while I'm not a fan of kenwood either, they are at least honest in their amp power ratings (as long as the amps work) and the rest of her system sounds good.

Boss is flea market or swapmeet quality stuff that you see for $20. It isn't going to perform that well regardless of what you do to it.
Just save up and replace it with better gear.
If you can save bwtween $800-$1200 total, you can build a pretty sweet system that you'll be proud to have.

jonboy1501
Unregistered guest
hey marshall. would you know what kind of subs and sub box would sound good in a 1986 mazda 626 hatchback? this is what my stereo system is in.

Username: Jonboy1501

Duff, TN U.S.A

Post Number: 1
ok, thanks everyone for your help. do you think I paid to much if I said that I paid 400.00 for all of my system?? could you also tell me what kind of box would sound good in a four dour hatchback? bandpass or sealed? i currently have a bandpass box. thanks

Bronze Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 42
Jon...i dont know what back of an 86 mazda looks like...and the $400 bucks is donw the drain, especially if your not happy w/ the sound of your system...it seems that you're not...

what are you planning to spend here???

personally i dont like bandpass boxes...bass can get really sloppy w/ them.

depends on the music you listen to. i would go w/ a vented box and something like an Adire Shiva or eD A or O series sub. but if you really want tight, punchy bass it'd say a sealed box.

you may also wanna look at kicker compvrs, they are good as well.

either way you will put your sisters subs to shame...

Username: Jonboy1501

Duff, TN U.S.A

Post Number: 3
could anyone tell me how I can put two subs into a 2 ohm load? i tried bridging but I didnt think they sounded any better. the subs are 4 ohms. my amp is able to handle 2 ohm load. i just went out and bought some new equipment.

Bronze Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 46
what kinda equipment did you buy???

most amps that say they are 2 ohm stable means that it is 2 ohm STEREO...not bridged...usually is 4 ohm bridged.

if you have a 2 channel amp then just put one sub on each channel, this will be a 2 ohm load...and the best you can do w/ a 2-channel amp and two 4 ohm sub combo.

NotFooledByNames
Unregistered guest
Its funny how people will totally boycott a brand name because of a couple bad products. There are a lot of so called quality "name brands" that have made plenty of "junk" themselves. I have a Boss PD-4000 class A/B amp that powers a PowerAcoustik MoFo in a custom built box. The box utilizes quarter-wave theory; which besides the ported box's 35hz tuning frequency; adds reinforcement at 40hz. People cant believe that its only one 12" sub and their eyes practically pop out of their heads when they learn its a Boss amp powering it.

So, moral of this story?...........almost every manufacture out there has a made some bad products, but don't write off a whole company because of that. The amp was well worth the $160 i paid for it.

Oh, I tested the amp on the setup described above and here were the results.

810 watts RMS @ 1.8 ohms
12.9v

Now considering the box impedance rise from 1ohm to 1.8oms , and the substantial drop in voltage from my not so great alt and battery, I would have to say bravo to this amp. 810 watts of true measured powered is a hell of a deal for the money.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2214
until the amp fails, sure.
poor reliability is the problem, as always.
what are you meaning by "quarter wave theory?"
there's no theory to any of this. It's all math.
I'll assume you mean a quarter-wave transmission line enclosure or a folded horn unless you can clarify.
You may want to try that 12" in an aperiodic chamber, too.

NotFooledByNames
Unregistered guest
Amp fail? ROFL!!!!!!!! I've tried and tried to push this amp to its limits and it takes all the abuse I give it. It's even a refurb, prolly from some knuckle head who cant figure out ohms law. Aperiodic dampening is next to useless, which is why you never really see it implemented anywhere. And yes, the enclosure is a "transmission line" of sorts. The back wave travels 85 inches before it reaches the front wave. So 85x4=340 and 340"= a quarter-wave of 40hz (actually 339" does but whose counting).

Yeah I Said It
Unregistered guest
Give it up buddy, Boss sucks AZZ! Boss, ROFL!!! Your amp hasn't been pushed. Hell you have a mofo. Whoopty Doo! Sorry Speaker for a sorry amp. HAHAHA. BOSS and MOFO, ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't know anything boy! Boss, ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

NotFooledByNames
Unregistered guest
ROFL!!!!! ROFL!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!! to you too you stupid bit*ch. Maybe I failed to mention this but....ITS MY FUC*KING WORK CAR. I work in a pretty bad neighborhood and my car has been broken into more than once. I learned my lesson the first time around. I'll take the bus before I ever drive my RX8 to work again.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2229
heh
I just set up a system in an RX-8

Yeah I Said It
Unregistered guest
OOOOHHHHHH. Your the stupid b*tch! Your the one with a mofo and boss!!! HAHAHA ROFL!!!ROFL!!!ROFL!!! You could set that sh*t on the side of the road and put freebie next to it and everyone would just laugh as they went by! Who cares if it is in your work truck? Your the one that talks like it is the baddest sh*t dumbazz!
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jcdevotee

Fresno, CA USA

Post Number: 14
Guys... please.

Seriously.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 475
boss is crap.. power acoustik is crap.. that guy doesnt know what hes talking about if he thinks boss and power acoustik are good......

bottom line.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2239
if he's happy with it, and he doesn't try to annoy other folks with the system, it's all good.

everybody has their favorites.

Bronze Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 52
it may seem good to you but, i thought my boss amp was great when i had it too!.....i was very saddy mistaken!!!(this was my first amp, before i knew better!!!)

i got kicker amp and was amazed.
i had a boss rip459 and then i bought a kicker IX402...the kicker put the boss to shame, and the boss was "rated" way higher thatn the kicker.

my kicker comp 10's where alot better w/ the IX402. boss just cant hold a candle to kicker, mtx, jbl or anything that is a good or desent co.!!!

just put something like a KX600.1 or 1200.1 on the same subs as your boss and you'll see a big big difference!

NotFooledByNames
Unregistered guest
Your missing the point fellas. I'm not trying to say its better than kicker,mtx,jbl blah blah blah. All I'm saying is that it is anything but garbage.

Its funny how easily you guys put stuff down. Most of you with nothin but sh*it to talk cant even wire your setups correctly let alone figure out how to test an amps power output.

Not all boss products are created equally, but I think my PD-4000 is an awesome amp for the money. How can you guys say it is a piece of crap if you have never even owned one? What, because the name on the case says boss that automatically makes it garbage? Get real, thats just ignorance on your part.

On a side note, even though I am extremely happy with my boss amp, I would never recommend a boss head unit or cd changer to anyone. Even if its free.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2249
yeah I've not owned a boss amp because I've replaced far too many failed ones for customers.
They are built poorly, with cheap parts, and they don't last. That's the problem.
Yes I know how to use dummy load power resistors, a fluke DMM, and my tektronix 100MHz oscilloscope to test the true output of an amplifier.

I do know how to wire my own system as well. Just for reference.

anyway, I'll admit I'm a bit snobby about what I'll buy and what I won't, too though. I want gear that will still be running strong ten years from now, and I'm not afraid to pay the difference for real build quality and company support.

My Orion, Alpine, pioneer Premiere, and Cerwin-Vega gear from 1989-1991 is all still running like a champ. I plan for my Zapco and Eclipse gear to be working ten years from now, too.

Same reason my gear at home is from Krell, Martin Logan, KEF, Onkyo, Mitsubishi, Pioneer Elite, and not technics, or crown. The gear holds up to any sort of abuse over the long haul, and in ten years, when you replace the failed cheap stuff three times, you may as well have bought something good, one time.

NotFooledByNames
Unregistered guest
My comment about these guys not knowing their - from + wasnt directed to you GlassWolf. It was for these jock sounding knuckle heads. You know the ones who say stuff like "Dude, boss sucks a*ss dude. I had this guy who knows some stuff about stuff, install my kicker amp and it will kill your boss dude".

I wasnt trying to prove that boss is top notch stuff. I didnt buy the amp because I thought it was quality stuff, I bought it because it was only 160 bucks. But let me tell you, I am more than happy with it and looking back I would have paid twice as much for it.

Lastly, I wont go on arguing my point because this will just turn into a shouting match of "Dude, my shi*ts better dude".

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2262
at least this hasn't dragged on as long as that Theater Research thread!

hahaha

OverNet
Unregistered guest
MMmm for the price I agree The PD4000 is quite good.... Boss speakers are total crap and small amps suck ... I had the Pd4000 for 3 years now and it bangs my 12" Power Aqoustik which is loud as well for its price.... putting out 1200w RMS for only a couple of dollars... If i would upgrade my system i would go for a JL Audio Amp and for The ID MAX 12" but until my Boss Amp and my Power Aqoustik are still shaken my CAR all day i guess i'll not spend all that money more for nothing.... BTW I use my AMP + Sub every day for about 3hrs... I guess it is already worth it the money i paid for the PD-4000 and the Power Aqoustik.

dylsta
Unregistered guest
hey guys,
i am looking tp purcahse a LC torana and i was wondering what to put in my car and how much i have to save up. i dont want to spend too much because its my first car.
Cheers

Random Forum User
Unregistered guest
Just happened by here as I found an interesting ebay auction for a Boss amp, and was google searching to do some research on it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=3040497787

Now, 180$ for a amp that "can" do 2000 watts @ 4ohms is quite impressive.. lets do some math, ehh? You guys seem to be into numbers..

Fuse - 25 amp x 2
Assuming they wired this right.. which we really shouldnt, given their claims (the monkeys could have wired it in series, for all we know!), they should be able to pull 50amps max before this thing blows.

Lets also assume 14.4v

Watts = Volts * Amps
Watts = (14.4) * (50) ----> 720 watts.. slightly less than 2000watts, and youd blow a fuse before you got anywhere near this.. but lets assume that the world is perfect and they would draw 50 amps 100% of the time.

Lets take their RMS value of 1040 (260x4channels).
720 watts is 180 watts per channel, and a whopping 1280 watts from peak... assuming the world is perfect, which it isnt, otherwise there woudlnt be clowns like these guys pushing cheap amps at marked up wattages.

Just my 2cents.

PS: Contrary to you guys, I am completely with NotFooledByNames. Just take a look at any other market... computer video cards for example.. Nvidia released the FX series, which suxxed it up big time (my old GF4-Ti4400 beats out quite a number of them), yet the next card Nvidia releases (and all previous cards for that matter) will be rockin.

Moral of the story: you cant judge a book by its cover, and you sure as heck cant judge a book by its author. Youve gotta accept that sometimes a company puts out a few bad apples.

Oh, and anyone who rants and raves over forums about car audio that didnt isntall their current system is a pansy, go **** yourself.

BS2000
Unregistered guest
boss has its up and downs, but i'm running 2 12" boos subs, @ 1000watts each, and all I can say is it pumps like a biatch. i dont care what ppl say about boss, there cheap, and they pump.

boss subs love a good box, had one 12, in one 1.5cubic foot box (sealed), running of my head unit, only giving it 40watts, yes 40 watts of power, and it pumped almost 10 time better them my previous, 2 10" 800watt system, the whole car shakes, had to replace the side door locks, and 1 window a couple of times, due to the vibration, from 40 watts.

ya want me to record it for ya?

Username: Warrior

Post Number: 4
ROFL man i tell you what if we all had systems that bad with only 40 watts then my whole car should fall apart with my 1400 alpine system man you should get real if you had to replace a window with only 40 watts you shout hook up two @ 80watts so you car will blow apart.

Username: Warrior

Post Number: 5
ROFL man i tell you what if we all had systems that bad with only 40 watts then my whole car should fall apart with my 1400 watt alpine system man you should get real if you had to replace a window with only 40 watts you should hook up two @ 80 watts so you car will blow apart.

bs2000
Unregistered guest
ok, thw window didnt smash, i didnt say that, i had to replace it, cause all of its $hit inside sliped down.

ill record it for ya dikhead, give me ya email, and ill send ya a vid asap, put ya money where ur mouth is

i dont why it pumps good of the headunit

Anonymous

bs2000 that is a good name for you Bull S***2000
i have had cheap a** boss JUNK and it never has ups it is always down you should invest in something worth talking about like Kicker,JL anything but Boss.

Anonymous

a head unit wouldnt be able to push a sub at all, let alone break windows and door locks. get a life pal.

bimma325
Unregistered guest
i've had cheap sh.t in my time and to be truthfull it doesn't last. suppose boss and that is ok....if ya skint and you want a bit of sound.....i'm now using a hifonics atlantis x 2ch amp bridged running a hifonics warrior 15" sub and a hifonics son of europa 4ch amp running a set of 6 1/2" Ultimate components at the front and rear. i've got a Sony CDX-MP7C head unit and an M-Station supplying the choonz...in my opinion it sounds sweet..but to you manz its probably another sh.t system to cuss down

jj
Unregistered guest
sounds good to me. i would get a different head unit though.

Bump'n'Grind
Unregistered guest
I have a boss 1600 watt 2 channel amp and 2 800w
boss 12's in a bandpass box and it hits as hard as any other brand name sh*t that ive ever heard

oh yeah
i paid $250 for it all brand new.

bump'n'grind
Unregistered guest
im wondering if anyone has ever had volfenhag subs before.
Ive heard they are good and i am planning on getting 2 volfenhag 15" subs that are 1200w a piece. i am also getting a pyle 2000w 2 channel amp to push them sound good?

Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surry England

Post Number: 1
volfenhag, pyle, sony, legacy, boss.... its all lower end kit mate, if your on a tight budget then do what you have to but if you can afford it a proper set up would blow it away, you'l get a bit of SPL with that stuff but not much SQ (and dont be a sucker for those big numbers... always go by the RMS rating)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us