I got a problem, could someone please help

Username: Maynardisgod

Post Number: 6
i had an mtx 55x4 amp with 2 mtx 10's and my rear 6x9's hooked up to it, i recently installed a kenwood 460x1 (4 ohms) RMS for my subs then i hooked my 2 front speakers up to my mtx 4 channel, along with the 6x9's. I have it all up and running except for one problem. When i crank the volume, the sound from my speakers gets more distorted as the volume gets louder, the bass seems to be fine. But when i turn off the kenwwod amp my sound is perfect, no distortion. I don't listen to rap so i don't care for a big boom from my subs, i just want them for kick drum and low bass, but i want to be able to crank my music without it distorting... what seems to be my problem?

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 38
your amps are more than likly clipping...

the reason you hear it more in the amp for your 6x9's is because the low frequency the sub produce "hide" it better..

reset your gains. get bigger power and grounds. and u may need a bigger alt.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2111
could be a lack of current as well.
that kenwood is drawing more current, which is causing both amps to clip.
needs a bigger alternator.

best way to tell is with a meter when it's distorting

Post Number: 7
thanks for your help guys. im still pretty new to this stuff and this site has really helped alot, especially any of your posts Glasswolf. i have a couple more questions. if i change my alternator, do i have to get a bigger battery or anything? also is it better to run a 4 gauge wire from my battery to the distributor or is the 8 gauge i have now fine? and finally, would a capacitor do anything helpful in my case or would it be a waste of money? thanks again for your help, its appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2134
you'll want 4AWG cable from the battery
you'd want 4AWG for the alternator as well if you upgrade it, but your battery should be fine as is unless you run the system for long periods with the motor shut off.
the capacitor is a waste of money.

Post Number: 8
sounds good, thank you very much Glasswolf for your advice!

Post Number: 9
OK SORRY, ONE LAST QUESTION! would a 105amp alternator be enough in my case?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 497
id bump it up to around a 135 a alternator, gives a little more headroom for later on
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us