2002 Pathfinder CD ERR FO message

Username: Howzatt

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I looked at the ERR2 pathfinder thread and was wondering If the 2002 Pathfinder 6-CD changer also has the same problem? I get a CD ERR FO message and cannot load or reject CDs. I went to the dealer and he says its a 400$ charge just to diagnose the problem!!. Anybody have any fixes for this problem?

Thanks a bunch,
howzatt

Username: Spradio

BREINIGSVILLE, PA United States

Post Number: 3
Your 2002 Pathfinder does not use the Clarion made PN-302N Din size CD deck mounted under the Clarion/Bose cassette radio which was for 2001 Pathfinder only.

The 2002 Pathfinder 6 disk radio is a Clarion double din radio/changer assembly with a Pioneer changer mechanism. It may say Bose on the face in some cases, but it is still a Clarion. Nissan/Infiniti has used Clarion for years as their primary radio supplier. I assume that clarion is purchasing the Pioneer changer modules because they are very good when compared with their own mechanism.

The 2002 Pioneer mechanism is actually a second generation product. It was pretty good and may be improved now, but only time will tell. One thing I like about the redesign is they ship better. The first generation units required a park procedure and insertion of a shipping bracket that prevented internal parts from dislodging. I had this happen on repair jobs I did so I purchased the brackets and no longer have any troubles. Those Ebay sales where the seller says it was good and the buyer says it's bad are most likely a result of lack of knowledge of the shipping requirements. These mechanisms are prolific in Fords and found in some Honda products.

I repair in dash changers regularly, and in the case of CD players of any kind, the type of error message displayed is not particularly useful. It may reveal to the trained technician what system has failed, however, not to the point where an exact cost can be quoted.

You may get firm cost quotes from some shops. They are operating on a quote system that assures the customer what to expect. This is not a good method. The shop must make a profit on all jobs, so the quote before diagnosis is high enough that they can not fail to make a profit. If your particular unit has minor repair issues, you end up paying too much. I quote a lower flat rate by product type + parts. In the case where there are little or no parts needed, the customer pays much less than with the quote before diagnosis system. If there are high part costs, the customer pays a higher price. This is more accurate, logical and fair. If you don't want to commit to repair without a firm quote, then you don't trust your repair man and if that is so, using him at all does not make good sense.

Factory repairs are frequently quoted on a flat rate since the parts cost is a very small fraction of what the independent repair shops are charged. For factory repair the labor is most important and if too much labor is going to be required, a new mechanism is installed. These mechanisms are not costly to make, just costly to buy (over priced).

I recommend shipping the unit to Clarion for repair. See my post for instructions. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/137782.html.

Troy Blackman
Unregistered guest
I've been watching this myself for a while because I have an '02 Pathfinder that has CD problems. I actually don't get error messages but incredible skipping problems.

What do think? Call Clarion and send it in?

Username: Jeffncqx4

Post Number: 3
Check the larger post(s)/forum dealing with this issue: ie. pathfinder 6 disc cd changers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us