MTX 8000s in a lebaron

Anonymous

most of you are probably thinking what the hell is a lebaron.. lol. a chrysler convertible. anyway it's what i could afford when i first got my license, and I'm giving it to my sister when she turns 16.

Anyways, she bought some subs from a friend of mine (2x mtx 12'' 8000s) and she wants me to put them in the back seat for her. we don't have a amp, and I'm not 100% what to get for a lower budget person. They're dual 4 ohm, 400w rms. But I noticed there is two models, a DVC and a none DVC.. I'm not quite sure which it is, and what's the difference? And is there an easy way to tell?

also, what are some low budget speakers I can get for the doors and back? i figured coaxils in the back, and what kind for the front? thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 457
to answer your questions:

there is a very easy way to tell if DVC or SVC - see how many terminals there are on each speaker...

for an amp, i would reccomend a bp600.1 for those - it will cost about $210 but it is a great amp......also with this amp, if you wire the subs in paralell, it wont matter if they are SVC or DVC because it operated with 600w rms at 2 or 1 ohm

some budget coaxels - infinity reference 2/3 way speakers run for about $65 a pair and sound excellent for their price - handle up to 60w rms for the 6.5" and 5x7's and 75w rms for the 6x9's

Anonymous

so if we get that amp it won't make a difference? I mean it's 600 rms at 2 ohm, but both the subs are dual 4 ohm.. so won't it not be getting max power? also if the subs can handle 800 rms together should i get a slightly bigger amp? i see the 1200.1 jbl amp for a bit more, but would it be worth the price?

i am very new to this stuff, i also want to build her a ported box (instead of the crappy sealed that isn't even made for the particular subs).. as it's a convertable, we want to produce as much sound as we can out of these subs :-) (while keeping good sq) so can anyone help on contruction of the box :-)?

oh btw, anyone know anything about these subs? durable, loud? i've heard them a few times in my friend's jeep.. and i told her if she wanted to heads.. that these subs would definently do it. i hope i was right.. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 460
you dont always have to have exactly the rated power - Glasswolf was hitting 151+ dB with two subs only with 125w rms to each one, they were rated ate 150 or 200w rms

that price is worth the amp - there is one thing many people feel lacking on the BP series, a subsonic filter - if you want the best sound with best SQ possible, tune a ported box to around 30 Hz

MTX makes decent subs - they are loud and will last quite a while

as far as box construction, www.bcae1.com would help and if it comes down to it, i can design a box for you for the MTX's and give you dimensions, but you'd have to build it in either case

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
oh and btw, 151 decibels will make someone go completely deaf in less than a minute with unprotected ears

Anonymous

alright, so go with the bp600.1 then? i'd tell her to get the bp1200.1 if it will bea noticeable difference (like 40$ more i see, affordable) and I'm not sure what a subsonic filter is, hehe.

I remember looking over that site once and I kinda think I got it, but if you could come up with dimensions for me (if you got the time), I would appreciate it very much. I know i'd fook something up.

but yeah, 150 db sounds painful. can't it potentially kill a person anyway? assuming I use that amp, and a ported box.. for the 2 mtxs, how many decibels do yuo think it could max at maybe, roughly.?

anyways thanks for the help, and thx in advance for any more you might provide me.

Anonymous

glasswolf can't be hittin 150's with just that power. he'd have to be pumpin' in hella power into that shlt!

Silver Member

Post Number: 463
yea - in the 170 dB range someone can die

there isnt any real way to calculate your dB range, youll just have to install and try it out

and yes he did hit 151 dB with 250w rms total on 2 subs anon, you dont always need insane power to get high SPL ratings

Anonymous

wat kinda car is he driving then, a pinto?

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
he had it in a grand cherokee and a fiesta :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2170
that was in a Festiva actually, and a lot of it was the box, which I designed.
Also very efficient subs (foam surrounds, paper cones) and a very good class AB amp driving them.

Anyway, for those two 8000s, try the JBL BP600.1 amp
that'll give each sub 300wRMS, and it won't matter if they are SVC or DVC. the amp puts out the same power at 2 or 1 ohm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us