1 ohm stable

Username: Reseaudio

Post Number: 1
I have 2 Resonant Engineering SE 15s with a jbl 1200.1 amp, and a lightning audio cap. I need to know why i cant keep it at 1 ohm stable. What should i try or do to get 1 ohm to be stable?

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 29
depends on the voice coils of your subs and how you wire them.

if DVC 4 ohm wire em in parrallel.........= 1 ohm
if DVC 2 ohm wire em in series-parrallel..=2 ohm

the JBL 1200.1 will give 1200 watts rms and either 1 or 2 ohms

Post Number: 4
the SEs i have are DVC 4 ohm subs. They are hooked up in parallel and i had the amp hooked to 4 ohm which would be 600 watts. I want to get all 1200 watts running stable. I have a JVC head unit, and it will work and work correctly until i turn the volume up to 13. i usually turn it up to about 19 0r 20/50. I need to know what i should do to keep it stable enough to be able to turn it up where i want. Thanks for the reply.=)

Bronze Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 32
...ok...heres what you do...

make sure all the wires for the amp are run correctly...ground, power, RCA's, remote

set all your setting on your HU to flat and turn off any LOUDNESS feature.

turn the crossover on the amp to about 70-100hz, and turn the gain all the way counter-clockwise.

get about a 45-70hz sine wave or a CD w/ some bass and turn the HU up to about 75% full volume.

play the CD and gradually turn up the gain until u hear just a little distortion then turn it back so you have no distortion.

.......by the way if you have the subs wired parrallel then you have a 1 ohm load, not a 4 ohm.......
it would be a 4 ohm if you wire it in series-parrallel.

just wire all the coils + to + and - to - and run it straight to the amp....that will be 1 ohm...1200 watts

buy the way...do you have a stock alternator...if you do then the amp my be draining the electrical system of your car!!!

also...A CAP DOES NOTHING AT ALL!!! waste of money!!!

if you need anything else just email me

southern_wakeboarder_inla@yahoo.com

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2089
chances are one of two things is causing your problem.
1; weak alternator
2; gains are too high

Post Number: 5
would an Optima deep cycle battery help any if i put one in the trunk for added power?

Post Number: 6
i finally got it to work after messing with the gains for a while.. i had trouble at first with the subs popping every now and then but after tweaking with the gains for about a half an hour i got it to stay stable and the subs dont pop at all.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2108
battery only helps when the engine is off
when its running, you need the alternator.
glad ya got the gains set right

Post Number: 7
if i am messing with the gains to get it right and i have trouble with it popping when i try to find the right settings, will that harm the subs? Do you have any other suggestions for an amp other than my JBL 1200.1? Thanks for the replys

Bronze Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 43
the JBL is a good amp...if all you need is 1200 watts then its perfect (i'm not sure of the RMS on your subs)...

and yes, popping will harm your subs. try not to do to let them do that, if they do just turn the gain down.

Post Number: 8
The RMS is 600 watts on the SEs. And should i turn the gain completely down? Because when i did that before then there wasnt anything happening, in other words.. no bass. So thats why i wondered. Thanks again

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2155
gains usually should be between 1/4 and 1/2 way up from zero.
the problem may be with your box design.

Post Number: 9
what if that doesn work still? then what could my problem be?

Post Number: 10
i have 2 ported boxes tuned to just under 30 Hz. What could be the problem with the boxes and causing it not to be stable? I didnt know it had to do with the box? thanks for the help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2187
what's the volume of each box?
and what is the port diameter?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i have two seperate boxes.. one for each sub.. obviously... but the volume of each box is : these are approximate because i bought the subs and boxes off of a friend who knows about subs but might not have gotten the measurements exact. They are 32"Lx18"Wx121/4"H and each box has two ports made of pvc pipe that is 20" long by 4 " wide. The subs still sound really loud but i want to get 1 ohm stable and it hasnt been working to well.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2241
this really sounds like an issue of a weak alternator.
I don't think that amp is getting a good, solid voltage rail to work with.
the amp may be clipping.
you need an alternator in the 150-200A range minimum, and at least 4AWG cable for +12 and ground for the amp, battery, and alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
ok.. thanks for all the adive and help. I have another question though. What do you think of the Adire Audio Shiva 12s? And what would be better sealed or ported for those. Also what would be a good amp match for 2 of them? Thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 14
Ok, reading this post got confused: how do the gains settings interfere with impedance or its stability (remember I'm a newbie)? Can someone throw some light?
TIA

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2306
shivas are great subs.
any mono sub amp rated for 1200wRMS x 1 @ 2 ohms would be a good match. go with a ported box, 4" ports, tuned to 35Hz, 2cu ft per sub.

gains being set too high cause the amp to clip. if the amp clips, it can go into protection mode to prevent damage to teh speakers.
teh gains (input sensitivity) have no direct effect on the impedance or load presented to the amp. they also do not have any effect on how much power the amp will produce.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ok, now I'm really confused: when I mess with gains, I hear the volume coming up and down following my command...
And the relationship I thought I found between impedance and gain settings, was because Brianj said he got things to work (1 ohm stable if I recall) after messing with the gains a bit (???)! What am I missing here?
TIA

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2314
his impedance and gain issues were unrelated.

gains (properly called input sensitivity) have exactly one function.
they allow you to match the line voltage of the head unit (line driver, whatever is supplying the input signal via RCA cables) to the input stage of the amplifier which requires that the input stage and line voltage be equal so as to have a clean signal.
if the gains are set too high, you over-drive the input stage.
this causes the amp to clip, producing square wave signals which send raw DC voltage straight to the speakers connected to that amp.
when that happens, the speaker coils become heating elements, and simply put, they fry.
this also causes distortion which in turn causes the speakers to reach their excursion and instead of traveling on a linear path, they cant, or turn slightly, and rub the coils (wrapped wire) along the inside of the magnet structure, which then causes the coils to fray and unravel.
then the cone "freezes up" and the speaker is toast.

ok time for me to run.
dinner's calling

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Yep, time for me to go get some sleep, 2morrow's a working day!
TKS!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
If i got a 200 amp alternator would that be enough to power the 1200 watt speakers system as well as the mechanical power of the car? You said 150-200 min. There is also a 250 AMP one i could get but it is $427 and the 200 AMP is a little bit cheaper and if it will work then i will try it.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2431
200A should be a good bet.
unless you plan to add another amp (4 channel maybe?) then I'd go for the larger model.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Also, now with my stock alternator when i wire them to 1 ohm i can turn up certain songs louder than others, and sometimes they will run for like 10 seconds without popping then all of a sudden they start popping. Also it seems like on the higher frequency bass it will cause them to pop??

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2448
why don't you take the system to a shop and let a pro look at it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
i would rather try to do it myself if at all possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us