Who are the forum Gurus? Jonathan? Who else?

Bronze Member
Username: Ologyaudio

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 30
Looking for the right person to send the 6.5" prototype to when it comes in ;) Granted it will go through a lot of people first... but may as well show it off here too if it is wanted ;)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5018
What is this prototype you speak of? Did you make it yourself?
Jonathan is a smart guy.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 31
I speak of this:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/170684.html

:-) -- branded OlogyAudio ;)

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 592
Glasswolf, Jonathan and Issac.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 509
"94 dB 6.5" midrange driver"

OUCH !!!

What tweeter will compliment this beast? Hopefully not a horn loaded transducer. The tweeters mentioned (JL XR tweeters/LPG silk domes) would not match up at all.

I am in favor of paper verses alum/mag/polly/kevlar/mineral comp.......etc, but high SPL paper drivers tend to have crappy/choppy FR. Seriously, how exactly is a 6.5" diaphragm going to reproduce flat response up to 10khz? Most 1" tweeters have a hard time accomplishing such a task.

I was just wondering what are the thiels on it?

Qes=
Qms=
Qts=
Bl=
Cms=
Mms=
Rms=
Vas=
Fs=
Xmech=
Le=
Re=

IMHO DVC spells trouble for anything other than subs. The Qms should explain alot.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 33
I'll let ya know the t/s when the driver comes in and we get some tests run on it.

Yea we dropped the XR tweeters after I convinced my partner it was a bad idea... Prolly going with dayton neo tweets for the low end. Being off by a dB or 2 in sensitivity isnt a huge deal, especially if you consider that many people have their tweeters a great deal closer to their heads than the midwoofers.

Only educated guess as to what the top end looks like... again we will know for sure when we get measurements :-) -- I'm sure he didn't mean perfectly flat... more like... extension... if we see perfectly flat I'll be elated :-) The phase plug should help but...

The highest these midwoofers will be lowpassed is 3.5khz 2nd order so we don't want crazy things going on just above the xover point... These mids rly should be some PHL type midranges... just sporting 13mm of xmax

Whats wrong with DVC on a mid? Just an extra set of leads ;)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 1429
you might also try to send it to sinister audio at www.caraudiocentral.net
and bigbassman at www.soundillusions.net

Gold Member

Post Number: 1432
by the way, you're not referring to these are you?
http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AA&Produ ct_Code=9010&Category_Code=9000

we can get them now for 30.00/pop

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 511
DVC = two voice coils on the same former, not just two leads

DVC spels extra weight = less controll.

Human ear is most sensitive to mids than any other F. We are many times more likely to identify a bad sound in the midrange than bass or highs. So if a midrange driver has a choppy FR then it will be noticable right away.

"Being off by a dB or 2 in sensitivity isnt a huge deal, especially if you consider that many people have their tweeters a great deal closer to their heads than the midwoofers."

A deviation of dB is definately noticable on a FR, especially in car applications where the listener is confined to a compact space.

IMHO the tweeter has to be in perfect alignment with the midrange. When people put the eyeball tweeters up by the visor and the mid in a kickpod or door, that spells crap imaging.

I wouldnt rely on moving the tweeter closer to the listener to make up for efficiency imballance.

Just my .02

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 34
"by the way, you're not referring to these are you?
http://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AA&Produ ct_Code=9010&Category_Code=9000

we can get them now for 30.00/pop"

Oh no defiantly not those... 86dB/w efficient vs 94, 13mm xmax vs 8?, 50 watt power handling vs 150 -- cone material........

DVC doesn't necessarily mean extra weight. You can have the same amount of copper in the gap through the use of two coils that are 1/2 the size.

Well the mid-low end sets using 92-93dB/w efficient tweeters... honestly ends up being far more ideal that any other sets I can think of at about that price... Alpine type X for example the tweeter is 4dB less sensitive than the midrange.

I don't think there's much of an issue here if the critical midrange is better than +-1dB and the FR is +-2 or so dB full range... especially since after it is installed diffraction problems will make a mess of the FR regardless.

I agree that the tweeter should be within say 3 wavelengths (at the xover point) in terms of spacing in the Z axis for proper imaging. Phasing of the tweeter is useful ;)

The higher end set I will optimize the hell out of... Leaning for a lower xover point (higher order) allowing for a less sensitive install, a more robust tweeter is nice... More even power response :-)

Username: Feandil

Post Number: 1
About this ridiculous comment about DVC = less control...

you DO know that a DVC coil weighs the EXACT same as the coil if it was SVC??? the EXACT same... it is literally simply SEPERATING the longer coil into two coils

those speakers adire makes is a joke in comparison

85db/w vs. 93db/w

no faradays... no top end... less excursion... less power handling

you're looking at easily 112db of max SPL with 125w RMS with these from 90hz-10khz

this driver is flat as a board till 10khz... 4 layer aluminum voice coil, and dual faradays with the top and bottom plate shorted

it's the exact driver Adire would make if they made a more efficent extremis...

I designed it and the prototype will be here in around a week or less...

as far as good tweeters to mate with it... it's realitively simple to find something... however this speaker was specifically made to do something nothing in 6.5" could do till now and that's mate in a 2-way situation with a horn or ribbon tweeter

however there a few domes that will mate quite well

Post Number: 2
Qms is 3.4
Xmech is 17mm or so 1 way
Mms: 8.9 grams
BL: 8.6 N/A
Le: 0.09 mH
XBL2

DVC spells nothing for nobody...

it's the same as a SVC 8ohm but with wiring options... absolutely not a single specification changed going to DVC from SVC

Gold Member

Post Number: 1442
as admirable as your theoretical prototypes seem to be, there seems to be a real lapse in PR. try some smileys with pig tails or somethin (:-))and positive comments.
not certain if you meant to sound as negative as you do, but forum news spreads faster than your supposed shipment.
just food for thought

Post Number: 3
I'm not sure what to say to that other than you obviously took what I said as something completely different

I was pointing out the errors in your posts... I'm sry if this offended you

Cheers

Post Number: 4
oh and Dan wiggins and David hyre designed and built the speaker... I assure you it's clean till 5-6khz and good till 10khz

and just so you know the PHL 1120 is an example of a speaker already capable of doing this

it's not really all that hard

Gold Member

Post Number: 1448
"oh and Dan wiggins and David hyre designed and built the speaker..."

well then, why didn't you just say so in the first place. cheers! steve "kep" built my brahma hybrids.
is this the same driver that is supposed to take the place of the extremis, (between the 6.5 koda and extremis) or is it completely separate as well?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 512
Qms is 3.4
Xmech is 17mm or so 1 way
Mms: 8.9 grams
BL: 8.6 N/A
Le: 0.09 mH
XBL2

Qms is really low for a driver with DVC. I ll explain later.

Mms is really low. Bl is 8.9, NO WAY, not with a Mms of 8.9 you wont.

By the way what is the Qes?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 524
Dylan,

Any word on those comps. I am interested to know if they are what they were supposed to be.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 35
qes should be ~.3 if dan did his job right -- still waiting on proto to test for sure... it can varry a little bit and still be useable... If it isnt this than he simply changed something out for a better option -- but it should give you an idea on how they model -- Pretty much line up down low with the extremis in the same box with 1 watt -- however the higher reference efficency... well you get the picture I'm sure

Anywho -- EQ up the bottom end -- or use as a mid -- or use as a small subwoofer... any way you go about it... it goes rather well

What were you saying about the qms?

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 525
High Qms = better controll on rebound between cycles (F). As the woofer pumps in and out, a woofer with higher Qms would have better controll. Kinda like a car engine. Some engines, when you rev it up and then release the gas pedal, some take forever to come back down to idle, while some will reduce much much faster, therefore having tighter response. This would be better.

Low Qes = high motor energy.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1607
where can i get a pair...and how much?

:-)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 564
Bump

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 226
wow speakers are a whole new other planet

whats the highest end of speakers i could use for a door application no pods or panels not going active

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 36
$60/ea preorder... whenever that happens... which is when we get the prototype in and make sure it behaves like it should...

As for that high QMS = better control on rebound = less linear distortion.... where did you ever see that one?

The lower the QMS the higher the rms (driver's mechanical losses) Gotta watch QMS vs impedance curve... a too low QMS will result in a nice big hump at Fs...

As for BL with that mms... well the parts have already been designed and made by dan (adire audio)... just things need assembled... which is taking way too long...

And I may venture to say that these are defiantly up there with the best drivers on earth (assuming they come out to spec) You will want to EQ up the bottom end though if you run them IB... or just live with a relaxed midbass relative to the high sensitivity of the midrange... Pretty much on par with the extremis in terms of low end sensitivity... just that's much lower thn the sensitivity though the midrange...

In a small ported kick you can get flat highly efficient response to 80hz no problem... 50hz if you go a little larger...

Or go with a 3 way ;) using 2x of the 6.5s -- one in ~.7cuft tuned to 32hz and a 4th order lowpass at about 70hz... and ditch your subs... Kinda big for kicks though if you ask me... some people could manage though...

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 621
I am interested to see the FO graph, impedence curve, and Thiel large parameters.

Please post them when you get em in.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Columbus, Oh USA

Post Number: 38
Indeed -- the first place they are going = npdang and mark k for some independant measurements if they don't meet design goals... back under the knife they go... Unless they are better by some fluke ;)

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 645
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us