Question for daniel; on 12L5s

Username: Capulina6

Post Number: 8
hey daniel i have heard you talking about tensil leads a couple of times, what are they and what is the problem with them, sorry to ask its just that i was really serious about getting some 12L5s but if this is a major problem then ill buy different subs, please explain, thanks

Jason Giles
Unregistered guest
My cousin has had a pair of 12" L5's in sealed boxes for about a year and has a JBL 1200.1 amp and they sound great! No problems out of them. Not to say that you wouldn't have any porblems, but you know what I mean.

Bronze Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 61
the lead wires are the small little wires that go directly from the basket of the sub to the actual cone of the sub that moves when you decide to turn the volume up. The thing is that if they are made too small, when the sub is pounding away, they will tear off, yet they can't make them too long cause then the cone will slap against the leads and you will hear that effect. Other possible reasons for lead wire tearing, over excursion of the sub(if it goes to far it tears), and also if you have you gain set too high and/or if you send your amp into clipping those subs do also get hot and those lead wires won't be able to stand that kind of heat after a while(thats why theres a trick of putting silicone on the wires before putting them in the box). Well, i've ruined three 10"L5, rated at 450 RMS, and i was pushing 425RMS to each. Then i decided to keep the amps and switch to 10"L7, rated at 600RMS(not the 2004 edition though), while i stayed with 425RMS to each, i've had em for 3 months now no problems, i believe that i was just too close to the power range of the sub with the type of music i was listening to(really bassy continuous rap that just didn't give the subs a break). The 12L5 is also rated at 600 RMS, i would give it more around 500RMS and then adjust your amps correctly and you should be fine. The solo-barics aren't bad subs, they don't distort at high volumes even if I did tear those lead wires, in fact i believe they could probably handle more power, its just that if they control there excursion once in a while it would be a lil' better :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Oh yah, yah, yah, I just remembered, don't forget to break in your subs by playing them at low volumes(glasswolf reminded me on another thread) for the first week or so, i also did this with my L7's and they're fine(i didn't do it really with the L5's). It is more important to break in these subs since they're square and they do flex more at the joints than reg circle subs.

Username: Capulina6

Post Number: 10
great, thanks for all the help! i really appreciate it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
no prob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us