Cabin Gain

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 475
Have vehicles become more audio conscious or is it just coincedence?

Are cars better insulated now?

Is there a difference between todays car and yesteryears car as far as cabin gain is concerned?

Bronze Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 84
Interesting I just got a little flamed in another post for bringing up this same topic. I think cars HAVE become more deadened, be it better insulation, better fresh air venting (one of my personal theories) or just generally better shapes. I also think cars today have smaller cabins in general than the older cars with different overall shapes that change the way cabin gains function. All of this is theory, but I install alot of the locals subwoofers for them so i get a chance to listen to alot of different cars. Hopefully I'm not just crazy and some other people have noticed this.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 85
Mix I just saw your reply in Gals post, thanks, I'll have the parameters up in a sec here under the thread BOSTWICK HD Pro's.

Bronze Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 97
http://installer.com/tech/aiming.html
Interesting, check out the graphs with the mic on these newer cars. We see a bump, but no smooth 12db per octave rise.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 256
i think this is very true my car(03 galant) came with a lot of insulation when i fisrt got the car i was so surprised b/c i could barely here the engine when it was running and the ride is so quiet. then when i started putting a sound system in i saw all of the insulation it already had.

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 208
Flamed? I've never flamed anyone. Cabin gain will always start at frequency relating to the cars longest internal measurement, normally from top of rear screen to bottom of front footwell. To find the frequency(F) measure the longest length(L) in metres then F=330/2L. So if your measurement was 3metres then cabin gain starts at 55HZ. This is why small cars peak higher as they begin boosting bass at a higher frequency over a full size car or SUV. To get a rough idea of what cabin gain is doing to subs in your car try.....

http://graph.flexunits.com:8080/index.htm

You'll have to change the speaker and box parameters to yours and it's pretty basic but gives you a starting point.

Cabin gain has nothing to do with the amount of sound deading. What insulation will do is stop the car resonating at certain frequencies and adding to the sound coming from your speakers. This has got to be a good thing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us